iPhone 4.1 proximity sensor?

dmstrom

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
No, it is not fixed, at least entirely. I have noticed that the screen still comes on at inappropriate times, but I have yet to have an improper hang-up or facetime call. So I guess THAT may or may not be fixed. I was very disappointed to see the screen light up when the phone was in use at my ear. So I am still using a bluetooth earpiece, although I hate doing so.

I will continue to test the proximity sensor, and if I don't have the hangup problem then I can live with the unnecessary battery drain. The battery life is great anyway.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
4.1 has somewhat fixed my problem. On a rare occasion the display will still light up but I haven't muted or put anyone on speaker as of yet.

I may try a virgin install before getting a replacement. However I do find it quite ridiculous that I may have to lose all my app data, notes, saved games, preferences just to get a 100% functioning proximity sensor. Come on Apple, get your crap together.

Reactions: Duvi

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
4.1 has somewhat fixed my problem. On a rare occasion the display will still light up but I haven't muted or put anyone on speaker as of yet.

I may try a virgin install before getting a replacement. However I do find it quite ridiculous that I may have to lose all my app data, notes, saved games, preferences just to get a 100% functioning proximity sensor. Come on Apple, get your crap together.

Exactly... I've done quite a few fresh installs.

My issue is photos in the camera roll. I don't
like doing folders.

kbro

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Before the 4.1 update, the screen would always activate if I trapped the phone between my shoulder and ear (in order to use both hands for a moment).

Now the screen stays off.

haydendillon#IM

May 6, 2009
Visit site
prox sensor

YES finally I can talk on my iPhone without my face shutting down the call. Now my calls are only dropped because of ATT...Now Ill I want is the 4.1 JB to be released...

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Made the problem worse for me

I never noticed the proximity sensor issue until the 4.1 update. Now I can turn the screen on/off by moving the iPhone by just a few millimeters or by changing its angle during a call. Not too big an issue since I hold it far enough away to not touch any buttons, but it's still not a fix for me.

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Mines fixed. The only one time it came up with the screen lit was because sunlight was leaking between my cheek and the screen itself. Which is acceptable. If they make it anymore sensitive to darkness itll be turning off on you all the time dont you think?

Reactions: four4usc

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Mine still doesnt work... i mostly use a head set but i would still like it to work those few times i use it.... wonder if i should swap it

GBraddock81

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Working fine since update...

my proximity sensor has been working great since the update. i have however noticed that when i remove the phone from my face it take about a half a second before the screen comes back.

jeepville

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
my phone is new just got it last week. I noticed the issue with 4.02 (phone shipped with this) so I upgraded to 4.1 the day it came out. Now the screen flashes bright and dim alot while talking on the phone with it up to my ear. Not all the time but i notice it quite a bit. That has to hurt battery power which I am surprised isn't as good as I thought it would be coming from an iphone 3g.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Woo - Hooo, I get to make an appointment at the apple store to swap out my phone...
either that or pay $29.00 to have them ship me a new one and send them mine back.

We did restore as new so I lost all the setups I did and game notifications and it still didn't work. The first call I made after the restore the screen kept flasing on and off every 2 seconds.

suasex

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
didn't have any proximity issues until I upgraded. now I can't make a call with out pressing buttons with my cheek.

pretty lame if you ask me.

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Friday afternoon. Perhaps there is hope with a replacement phone. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, very frustrating to talk on the phone.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Friday afternoon. Perhaps there is hope with a replacement phone. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, very frustrating to talk on the phone.

I guess we are the few that still use a mobile phone to make phone calls LOL:D

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I guess we are the few that still use a mobile phone to make phone calls LOL:D

I think you are right. I actually have a bluetooth system in my vehicle but when I am walking around the town, it is still very disconcerting.

I just got my appointment moved up to tomorrow (Thursday) from Friday. Hopefully I will know something soon.

Reactions: four4usc

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2