iPhone 4.1 proximity sensor?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the Blue Ant S4 in the car. Great bluetooth thats for sure! Also I just tested mine out again and the proximity sensor works just like my 3G did. Called my voicemail and held it to my ear and evern held the phone with my face/shoulder and the screen did not turn on. Like stated above it takes a tiny tiny bit longer for screen to come back on after I move it far enough away from my face but it's not long enough to be annoying.

realpatmurphy

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My proximity sensor is still bugging out!!! Well not still, it was fine before 4.1, now all of a sudden if I move the phone on my cheek the call will hang up. What should I do?

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
OK, I started this discussion, so I guess I should conclude the saga. I went to the Genius Bar yesterday afternoon and after checking the phone out and doing some observation, all that could be recommended was to replace the hardware. I agreed and so the hardware is replaced. I am still trying to get my apps back where I want them!!!

The bottom line is that I still have proximity Sensor issues. If my phone is not held tight up to my ear, the screen comes to life and invariably either face time or touch tones or muting occurs. Never (ever) had this problem with the 3G or 3GS, so I guess Apple still has work to do. I will give them until 4.2, then go get another unit in hopes they fix the issue.

Meanwhile, hold your phone tightly up to your ear and don't let it tip. That seems to help even though it is not the real world.

Happy Friday

graysonip

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I never had problems with prox sensor before 4.1. Now when I'm on a call holding the phone to my face, it dials random contacts. VERY ANNOYING.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on 4.0.1 for JB reasons and haven't had any issues with the proximity sensor...it works perfectly.

How widespread is this issue?

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm on 4.1 and I'm still having the same proximity issues!! I guess there really was no fix for this and again Apple made up some B.S. just to try and keep everyone quiet. Sucks everytime I'm on a call my face ends up turning on the dialer and I hear beeps or I end up turning face time on, this is just ridiculous that such an advanced phone like the iP4 cant even get the proximity sensor right......

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I never had the proximity issue until AFTER i updated to 4.1. Now when i talk my screen randomly comes on and goes off. I've still haven't muted or dropped a call, but it is rather distracting and annoying to catch the screen flashing out of the corner of my eye all the time.

Anyone have any ideas why? or what could help?

Reactions: four4usc

catadjuster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues muting calls, going to face time, etc on about 75% of the calls prior to 4.1. I've been using it over a week, with a lot of phone calls made, and have not had one issue. Thank God, I was about to toss the phone out the window at about 70+ MPH.

NickiSmith

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I just got my iPhone 4 2 weeks ago & I've upgraded to 4.1 & have the problem with the proximity sensor..very annoying & since I lost my ace jawbone bluetooth I'm stuck with either using the phone & putting someone on speakerphone or muting them or putting them on hold or use the head phones that came with the phone. Phone is jailbroken so I'm not going to to a restore just yet, going to wait to see what happens with 4.2 first..But oh how I love my iP4..so much faster than my iP3g was : )

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If 4.2 doesn't fix it, it's going on eBay!!

I am on my 4th iPhone 4 due to this issue. The Genius' keep saying that it "must be a faulty unit". Really? My 3GS never ever had this problem even on 4.0. This is a joke. The funny thing is so many people who don't complain (like one of the Genius') admit they don't make calls that much. If I wanted an iPod touch I would have gotten one. Bought an iPHONE for a reason. I just get tired of friends, co-workers, clients making fun of my phone or joking as they say "well you see, I can make phone calls with my phone".

I will wait until 4.2 and see if there is any improvement. If not, this thing is going on eBay.

- one thing that I have noticed that "helps" is that if I use the Black Bumper, I don't have as many issues. I tried a white Bumper as well as no bumper and it is almost un-usable. Not sure if the light is seeping in on the side of the glass or what, but let's face it, iPhone 4 is a beta product.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife had tons of proximity issues on 4.0.x and now its has improved maybe 50% for her. I didnt have any issues on 4.0.x and now I have a few on 4.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanD