My iPhone 4 has been acting up lately. I am jailbroken with lots of iPhone 4 compatible mobile substrate addons and I just recently made my own custom SMS bubble theme. For the past few days now my iPhone has been taking 5+ minutes to boot after sliding to power off. I'm not sure why this is. Then when I was using backgrounder to message my friends on beejive and go back and forth between messages, the temperature screen pops up on my phone saying the phone is too hot! Freaked me out because it wasn't hot at all! It stayed for 5 seconds then my screen flashed white and I was able to use my phone again. Is this a software problem? Should I restore? Should I go to apple (after un-jailbreaking) and get it replaced?*It is about 2 weeks old and other than the issues listed above, it's runs really smooth and functions properly.

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: when it boots, I get the spinning wheel on top of the apple logo which immediately stops spinning and just freezes there. Then after 45 seconds it reboots itself and turns on.
    Last edited by Khalil; 08-17-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    08-17-2010 08:15 AM
    Sounds like you have some wonky app that is causing your issues. Uninstall your JB apps and see how it runs. If it still causes issues, restore your phone to non-JB status and see what happens. If it runs fine, you know you have a jailbreak issue. Jailbreaking doesn't work for everyone.
    08-17-2010 09:13 AM
    Sounds like you have some wonky app that is causing your issues. Uninstall your JB apps and see how it runs. If it still causes issues, restore your phone to non-JB status and see what happens. If it runs fine, you know you have a jailbreak issue. Jailbreaking doesn't work for everyone.
    This. Sometimes the JB can just mess up some way or another. Might be in for a restore :/
    08-17-2010 02:02 PM
    Why would you replace a phone thats been jailbroken when simply restoring it will solve the issues????
    08-17-2010 02:02 PM
    If the OP was to restore wouldn't iTunes automatically update to the new software?
    Or does it still give you a choice? I've never had to do that before.
    08-17-2010 03:46 PM
    If the OP was to restore wouldn't iTunes automatically update to the new software?
    Or does it still give you a choice? I've never had to do that before.
    If you do a restore from backup, it will restore it to whatever OS level you had backed up, but if you do a restore to factory settings it will put the latest OS level on it, AFAIK.
    08-17-2010 03:54 PM
    If you do a restore from backup, it will restore it to whatever OS level you had backed up, but if you do a restore to factory settings it will put the latest OS level on it, AFAIK.
    Yeah so he'd have to do a factory restore in order to rid the jailbreak. So OP,
    if you restore factory, no more jailbreak since jailbreakme doesn't work on 4.0.2
    08-17-2010 04:19 PM
    Not true.

Restoring from a backup restores only the DATA not the OS. I restored my iPhone 4 ( 4.0 ) from a backup of my 3GS ( 3.1.2 ) and it was fine.
    08-17-2010 05:25 PM
    Thanks guys for all the feedback. I downloaded the 4.0.1 software and restored to that. Then I was stuck in recovery and used TinyUmbrella to kick my phone out of recovery. I re-jailbroke and all is well now! Thanks!
    08-19-2010 03:03 AM
    Not true.

Restoring from a backup restores only the DATA not the OS. I restored my iPhone 4 ( 4.0 ) from a backup of my 3GS ( 3.1.2 ) and it was fine.
    Okay...but the point I was making was about the OS, which would likely go to 4.0.2 if he did a factory restore, thus making his iPhone un-jailbreakable for now. Gotta be sure to save those SHSH blobs!
    Last edited by TampaDude; 08-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    08-19-2010 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD