Do I have to get my new iPhone 4 replaced?!

Khalil

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone 4 has been acting up lately. I am jailbroken with lots of iPhone 4 compatible mobile substrate addons and I just recently made my own custom SMS bubble theme. For the past few days now my iPhone has been taking 5+ minutes to boot after sliding to power off. I'm not sure why this is. Then when I was using backgrounder to message my friends on beejive and go back and forth between messages, the temperature screen pops up on my phone saying the phone is too hot! Freaked me out because it wasn't hot at all! It stayed for 5 seconds then my screen flashed white and I was able to use my phone again. Is this a software problem? Should I restore? Should I go to apple (after un-jailbreaking) and get it replaced?*It is about 2 weeks old and other than the issues listed above, it's runs really smooth and functions properly.

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: when it boots, I get the spinning wheel on top of the apple logo which immediately stops spinning and just freezes there. Then after 45 seconds it reboots itself and turns on.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you have some wonky app that is causing your issues. Uninstall your JB apps and see how it runs. If it still causes issues, restore your phone to non-JB status and see what happens. If it runs fine, you know you have a jailbreak issue. Jailbreaking doesn't work for everyone.

Mere1582

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have some wonky app that is causing your issues. Uninstall your JB apps and see how it runs. If it still causes issues, restore your phone to non-JB status and see what happens. If it runs fine, you know you have a jailbreak issue. Jailbreaking doesn't work for everyone.

This. Sometimes the JB can just mess up some way or another. Might be in for a restore :/

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If the OP was to restore wouldn't iTunes automatically update to the new software?
Or does it still give you a choice? I've never had to do that before.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
If the OP was to restore wouldn't iTunes automatically update to the new software?
Or does it still give you a choice? I've never had to do that before.

If you do a restore from backup, it will restore it to whatever OS level you had backed up, but if you do a restore to factory settings it will put the latest OS level on it, AFAIK.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you do a restore from backup, it will restore it to whatever OS level you had backed up, but if you do a restore to factory settings it will put the latest OS level on it, AFAIK.

Yeah so he'd have to do a factory restore in order to rid the jailbreak. So OP,
if you restore factory, no more jailbreak since jailbreakme doesn't work on 4.0.2

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

Not true.

Restoring from a backup restores only the DATA not the OS. I restored my iPhone 4 ( 4.0 ) from a backup of my 3GS ( 3.1.2 ) and it was fine.

Khalil

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I downloaded the 4.0.1 software and restored to that. Then I was stuck in recovery and used TinyUmbrella to kick my phone out of recovery. I re-jailbroke and all is well now! Thanks!

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Not true.

Restoring from a backup restores only the DATA not the OS. I restored my iPhone 4 ( 4.0 ) from a backup of my 3GS ( 3.1.2 ) and it was fine.

Okay...but the point I was making was about the OS, which would likely go to 4.0.2 if he did a factory restore, thus making his iPhone un-jailbreakable for now. Gotta be sure to save those SHSH blobs!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77