E911 with location services off?

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
If I turn off Location Services (Settings>General>Location Services) on my son's iPhone 3GS would AT&T still be able to track his location in case of an emergency (assuming the phone is on but no call is made) or are all GPS signals disabled by doing this?

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Don't quote this as absolute truth, but I believe that the phone can be tracked even with location services turned off. At least, according to all those crime shows/movies, that's how it works :)

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Don't quote this as absolute truth, but I believe that the phone can be tracked even with location services turned off. At least, according to all those crime shows/movies, that's how it works :)

Yeah, I figured that. I just wondered if he needed to make a call to enable them to do that.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I would call support before I assumed what I saw on tv was true. Especially when it comes to my kids safety. I want every bell, whistle and siren blaring and loud! If they need help.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I would call support before I assumed what I saw on tv was true. Especially when it comes to my kids safety. I want every bell, whistle and siren blaring and loud! If they need help.

I agree and already all over this. AT&T tech says with location services off ALL GPS functions are inoperative. The phone could be tracked if in range of an AT&T tower but definitely not as accurately.

The reason for all of this is that my (paranoid) ex-wife insists on turning his location services off when my son is with her for fear that I will "track" her (never have, never will). I'm not sure why she is worried about this or where she is going but I want to make sure all safety features are available to him in an emergency.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree and already all over this. AT&T tech says with location services off ALL GPS functions are inoperative. The phone could be tracked if in range of an AT&T tower but definitely not as accurately.

The reason for all of this is that my (paranoid) ex-wife insists on turning his location services off when my son is with her for fear that I will "track" her (never have, never will). I'm not sure why she is worried about this or where she is going but I want to make sure all safety features are available to him in an emergency.

That would make one wonder where she IS taking him, just reminder her, safety first.

Dude495

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
When you call 9-1-1 from a cellphone, your location is triangluated from 3 cell towers, not the phones GPS. So if you turn off the GPS on the phone, E911 will still display your location (within 100 feet usually). Also the only way for AT&T to track a phone is by a court subpeana issued by a judge and that is only issued if there is a life/death emergency.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2