Apple Had No Obligation To "Fix" This *Non*-Issue

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I live in a sting 3G coverage area with AT&T. No matter if I'm left or right handed I find at times the most comfortable way for me personally to hold my iPhone has been in the deathgrip area. If placed there I've seen drops in signal bars and at times I'll go from 3g to edge. Even tho I've purchased a case for mine, this is not a "non issue" for me. I can deal with it but I'm not going to pretend there isn't an issue present.

Kudos to you, but speaking for myself if it were that bad for me I'd would probably have a different device.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
You have to admit it was a big miss for apple though. If all they have to do is isolate a "one tiny, avoidable slit" to have the perfect antenna, why didnt they do it from the start? If what you say is true, a simple design mod could have isolated the antenna in that area. Instead, millions of people have to worry about how they hold the phone.

Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?

No, you certainly are not. It comes from my past having used devices that required a stylus. I hold the device in my left hand and manipulate it with my right index finger.

Good. I'm not the only right handed person who holds the phone in my left hand. I was starting to think I was an ambidextrous iMutant. :eek:

Erieg

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the few people that hold their phone in their left hand while browsing the web or what not and I have no clue what a "Death-Grip" entails but when I put this phone in my left palm (lightly holding it) the signal dies almost immediately.

Jello, I have to tell you that your attitude towards those of us experiencing this highly arrogant and speaks a great deal about you as a person.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the few people that hold their phone in their left hand while browsing the web or what not and I have no clue what a "Death-Grip" entails but when I put this phone in my left palm (lightly holding it) the signal dies almost immediately.

Jello, I have to tell you that your attitude towards those of us experiencing this highly arrogant and speaks a great deal about you as a person.

I was clearly joking. No need to get personal with me over a misunderstanding of language...

allabout17

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Hey Jello, all I have to say to you is watch the cartoon iPhone Vs. HTC EVO on youtube!! You are the clearly slow person that wants the iPhone 4 with 3G and the WiFis!! Also, there are many things that are impossible to deny like the fact that the Earth is round and the fact that gravity exists!! I would also include the fact that Apple released a phone with a design flaw! They may have offered a band aid but they did not offer a real fix and clearly admitted that their phone has issues. Saying that other phones have issues does nothing to negate the fact that the iPhone 4 has an antenna issue!!

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
You have to admit it was a big miss for apple though. If all they have to do is isolate a "one tiny, avoidable slit" to have the perfect antenna, why didnt they do it from the start? If what you say is true, a simple design mod could have isolated the antenna in that area. Instead, millions of people have to worry about how they hold the phone.

Also, am I the only right handed person that holds the phone in my left hand when I'm typing/browsing or not using it for voice?

Its like with cars, they stopped putting gas tanks in the way back cause of the pinto right? Im thinking the best spot for the gap is on the right side right above the screen. Go ahead hold your phone like your on a call, your finger a 1/2 inch away :D

No, you certainly are not. It comes from my past having used devices that required a stylus. I hold the device in my left hand and manipulate it with my right index finger.

You are good you. I came from a treo my left is for holding my right in for using, it just seems like the way to use it.

P.S. Stop being jerks about this, stop telling the "few" of us with the problems to just return it and shut up and get a droid. Some of the people just want to cry a little about it, let em. Who is really gonna give up the best ipod touch with a par phone on it for a crappy device...no one. The people on here need to chill. Sorry so long but my .02

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Apple fell on hard times in the PR Dept. on this issue when they tried to cover it up. If Jobs or his spokesperson would have recognized and stated they were on it. The "Heat" would have been cooler.

Actually, I believe they DO have a responsibility to EFFECTIVELY correct the problem. Apple released the iPhone 4 with NO Disclaimers concerning the Antenna issue. The iphone 4 was Released with this "DEFECT". One Honestly doesn't thing Apple knew? If I sold you a Coffee maker that was programable with four settings and only 2 worked, the consumer would demand a recall along with a refund. BUT, because it's "Apple" and over 1.1 Million units were sold? Draw your own conclusions...

Last edited:

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
IGoSlo

It's a matter or perspective. You say the iPhone has a defect, yet it had been proven, not just by Apple but thousands of YouTube users that it's an inherent problem amongst a wide variety of handsets by all manufacturers.

Your example is flawed in that the coffee machine is obviously faulty, something is broken, it requires a fix to be usable as advertised. You couldn't for example, operate it differenty and suddenly all four functions become available to you. It's busted, no matter how you touch it.

There is nothing broken on the iPhone 4, it still works. It's more accurate to say it's a design oversight.

In the same way you have the option of returning your coffee machine because it doesn't work or you don't like it, you have the same option with your iPhone 4.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
IMO, this whole argument is moot because at the end of the day, Apple themselves felt they had an obligation to do something about it.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple faces such criticism simply because they claim to be a step ahead and above everyone else. This antenna was a marvel of engineering and the way Jobs went on about it at the initial i4 announcement, it was second to none. Now they say "we've got the same problems everyone else has. Sorry".

Apple puts themselves out like they are a step ahead of everyone and if that's the expectation they put out there then they should be held to that.

Did they HAVE to give out free bumpers? No. Not at all, but it would have severely impacted their public image, and not in a positive fashion.

The design is indeed above everyone else. BUT! They have yet to defy the laws of physics, and even with their 12 PhD's they have on board, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OKCChuck, the iPhone has always dropped calls due to the fact that AT&T's network is crap most of the time.

In strong network areas, you can't cause the antenna to lose signal if you try.

I never really had a problem before the i4 though.

Only thing I really enjoy about it is when my GF starts babbling on the phone about some BS I don't care about, and it hangs up, I don't call her back, blame it on the signal and she knows it's true and has to go with the excuse.

allabout17

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow!! Buddhistgirafe you really did drink the Kool-Aid!! I mean Steve Jobs has you quoting him word for word now!! You must be an Apple Fanboy or as I like to call them: Zombies! Again, pointing out the laws of physics or the fact that other phones also experience antenna issues does not negate the fact that the iPhone 4 is flawed and does not excuse Apple for it's faulty design or how it handled or rather mis-handled the situation. It is of course your right as a human being to buy any phone you like...I just prefer my phones to actually make and not drop calls! I am a huge fan of Apple and love my 3GS but I can't excuse Apple for placing the antenna in a bad spot or for proving that they think very little of their customers! Wow, a free case to cover up their flaw! The fact is, you should not need a case to use a cellphone!! If Steve Jobs tells you to jump off a bridge, would you do it? I suspect you might!!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The design works well for me. Less dropped calls, faster data and better overall reliability. It looks beautiful and I recommend this phone to all people. I know that people shouldn't have to use a case to make a phone work, but the majority of people I know with various models of the iPhone ALL use them. I can touch the problem area and and the bars do go down, but guess what? My data speeds stay intact and voice quality doesn't change.

This is a beautiful device and I recommend it to all who ask. I also recommend competing devices provided the person asking tells me what they need the device specifically for. My cousin loves Sprint and only wants their service. I don't waste time trying to get them to switch to AT&T, but just tell them what to look for in an Android device or other competing platform.

If SJ ever asked me to jump, I would say how high? As in how high would I have to be to listen to you SJ? I may love Apple products, but those who generalize us customers as sheep are ignorant. If Apple messes up, be sure to know I will make my voice heard negatively.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The design works well for me. Less dropped calls, faster data and better overall reliability. It looks beautiful and I recommend this phone to all people. I know that people shouldn't have to use a case to make a phone work, but the majority of people I know with various models of the iPhone ALL use them. I can touch the problem area and and the bars do go down, but guess what? My data speeds stay intact and voice quality doesn't change.

This is a beautiful device and I recommend it to all who ask. I also recommend competing devices provided the person asking tells me what they need the device specifically for. My cousin loves Sprint and only wants their service. I don't waste time trying to get them to switch to AT&T, but just tell them what to look for in an Android device or other competing platform.

If SJ ever asked me to jump, I would say how high? As in how high would I have to be to listen to you SJ? I may love Apple products, but those who generalize us customers as sheep are ignorant. If Apple messes up, be sure to know I will make my voice heard negatively.

Personally I don't use a case, but the majority of consumers damn well do, so the anti-case argument is so stupid. Yes, these pants are uncomfortable when I don't wear underwear, but when I do wear underwear, they are great. Does that mean the pants are faulty because they don't come with underwear? No. Did H&M give me free underwear with my pants? Hell no.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2