Porblems with getting Iphone 4 to work with my Mac

Vydar

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a mac and I just got an iPhone 4 today and I tried to hook it up and it says I need os X 10.5.8 to run it otherwise it won't work, so first off, I never read anywhere that I needed a newer version of the mac os x to actually run any iPhone that to me is garbag. Second, where can I find the download 10.5 because I curretnly have 10.4.11 and need to find 10.5 but I can't find it on Apples website or anywhere else. Also, would I need to then download 10.5.1 all the way to 10.5.8?? Someone help I want to actually be able to use my new phone.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Click the Apple symbol on the top lefthand corner of your screen and click "Software Update...". Your Mac will search for an update and should find it.

I didn't know you needed a certain version. I know you need the current iTunes, so maybe you can't get the most recent iTunes without at least that version of Mac OS X?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Click the Apple symbol on the top lefthand corner of your screen and click "Software Update...". Your Mac will search for an update and should find it.

I didn't know you needed a certain version. I know you need the current iTunes, so maybe you can't get the most recent iTunes without at least that version of Mac OS X?

I think that is the case, from what I have read 9.2 only runs on 10.5 and up. To the OP, my best advise to you would be to go ahead and grab a copy of snow leopard, it's not very expensive and well worth the price.

Just looked at the Apple site, Snow Leopard is only 29.00 bucks.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a mac and I just got an iPhone 4 today and I tried to hook it up and it says I need os X 10.5.8 to run it otherwise it won't work, so first off, I never read anywhere that I needed a newer version of the mac os x to actually run any iPhone that to me is garbag. Second, where can I find the download 10.5 because I curretnly have 10.4.11 and need to find 10.5 but I can't find it on Apples website or anywhere else. Also, would I need to then download 10.5.1 all the way to 10.5.8?? Someone help I want to actually be able to use my new phone.

Just saw that you were in Tiger, it's going to set you back 169.00 bucks for the upgrade. Here is the link if you need it. Mac Box Set - Apple Store (U.S.) It's not cheap but it does come with iWork and iLife so all in all it is still a very good value.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you are still running Tiger, you must have Leopard or Snow Leopard along with iTunes 9.2. The Snow Leopard Upgrade is worth it, but it depends on your machine? Is your machine Intel? If not I think you can only go to Leopard.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It looks like Apple is no longer selling Leopard on their site, just Snow Leopard. Hope that the OP does indeed have an Intel mac otherwise they might have a tough time finding Leopard. I will do some more searching online to see I can find it for sale for them.

Edit: Okay I found it online here Mac OS X Leopard - 1 user It's about 300 bucks so if you have an Intel mac just get the Snow Leopard Box set as it is much cheaper.

Last edited:

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Don't get the mac box set.

1. You don't need to buy the $169 Mac Box Set. The standard $29 Snow Leopard upgrade box is actually a full install disc. Though technically it's only for Leopard upgrades, but it will also work for any clean installs. You can save a bundle if you're not interested in iWork and iLife.

2. iTunes 9.2 runs on 10.4.11, but iPhone 4 page lists 10.5.8 as minimum.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
1. You don't need to buy the $169 Mac Box Set. The standard $29 Snow Leopard upgrade box is actually a full install disc. Though technically it's only for Leopard upgrades, but it will also work for any clean installs. You can save a bundle if you're not interested in iWork and iLife.

2. iTunes 9.2 runs on 10.4.11, but iPhone 4 page lists 10.5.8 as minimum.

But that is only if he has an Intel based machine, otherwise Snow Leopard is out! The previous poster did a search and only found the box sets for Leopard since Apple no longer sells them. I think I'd do a little more searching.

Vydar

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
yea thanks for all the responses I appreciate it, but I am running a powerbook g4 10.4.11 and it must only have tiger so I assume I have to buy leopard which kinda sucks as it seems expensive, and not, i'm definitely not running an intel based mac. I didn't know i needed to upgrade to 10.5.8 or whatever as i got the phone as a bday gift just yesterday I wasn't planning on upgrading anytime soon. This kinda sucks.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it you got a couple of choices. You can upgrade your Mac OS to the version required, use a friends computer that has this version (though I am not sure I'd want to do that each time I wanted to mess with my iPhone) or return the iPhone 4.

I think I'd upgrade my Mac OS, I think Leopard 10.5 was an improvement over Tiger 10.4. I would ask friends or do some searches on Ebay or Craigs list. You may luck up and find a copy of it pretty cheap.

Vydar

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
79.00 isn't bad and thanks for the research guys I really appreciate it. I definitely wouldn't use it on a friends that's too much of a pain in the butt, so upgrading is the only option at this point I suppose. I am trying to find a friend that has one, hopefully I can.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2