Tested 4 different iPhone Reception "Solutions"

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
That's a nice test but in no way do I mean to be rude but you are testing things where you have 1 bar of service to begin with. To ultimately test these fixes you really need to have full or near full service. 1 bar can go away pretty easily so dropping 1 bar to me isn't enough proof of anything.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that my own testing and the professional testing has taught me. If you are in a real strong signal area your results will be different than if you are in an area such as yours where you hardly have any signal to begin with.

I appreciate your effort though non the less!

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I can consistently reproduce the signal loss at home and at work. And in both places the bumper alleviates the problem.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can consistently reproduce the signal loss at home and at work. And in both places the bumper alleviates the problem.

Yeah I can't do it at work because the tower is just right there. 1.7 miles away though at my home I can do it repeatedly.

I don't have the bumper yet as I ordered it when I ordered my iPhone. However, I decided to go ahead and get a case at Best Buy today. In my normal daily routine I can say without a doubt that the case has put my iPhone 4 on par with the 3GS I previously had. In some areas I was even showing more bars than my co-workers with 3G's and 3GS's.

I personally think ALL these iPhone 4 have this issue, it is just that some have simply not been away from a very strong signal for it to show itself, but it will. Most people use a case so for many this is a non issue.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Plus whenever the prototypes were sent out in public, they used a case to disguise it from the general public. And I'm sure the Cupertino campus had so many repeaters that the issue didn't come up when the phone was naked.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
First things first the video isn't correct. You are testing to fix something when people with full bars have no service when holding the device and here when you aren't holding the device you really don't have service so this makes the video incorrect so some not saying all mitt work if you have more than 1 bar of service. Second the video is way to dark. I think you should film this video over when you have more light and more service because 1 bar of service can't be used to test a video fixing phone service when users have this problem with 5 bars. So make this video 1 in better light 2 where you have better service. Just a tip for you !

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well in all fairness I think he was testing it in his location which is what is real for his usage. His test is just as valid for him as it would be for someone with 5 bars of signal.

His point is that no matter what if he grabs that phone in the wrong way he can't use his phone. Seems like a pretty legit test for where he lives. If he had another phone that he could have showed didn't do this that would have made it even more conclusive.

I think some of you are missing the point. His test is a prime example of why this is an issue. Not everyone lives where they have a tower in their backyard!

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I got the Griffin Reveal Case for iPhone 4....its sexy as hell....clear on the back showing off the sleek back and the sides are black like the bumpers are. I still have the signal drop when holding it with left hand like people have described. Granted the $25 didn't fix the signal readings it does protect the back against scratching and it looks amazing! Best $25 I have ever spent!!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I got the Griffin Reveal Case for iPhone 4....its sexy as hell....clear on the back showing off the sleek back and the sides are black like the bumpers are. I still have the signal drop when holding it with left hand like people have described. Granted the $25 didn't fix the signal readings it does protect the back against scratching and it looks amazing! Best $25 I have ever spent!!

Hey BrianT, I looked at that case, but opted to go with the RocketFish, which is sort of a grayish clear and you can still see the Apple Logo. But I have found that this case at least in my area of use (hahaha) definitely majorly reduces the signal dropping issue and puts my phone on par with the 3GS at least.

This is all so crazy!

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey BrianT, I looked at that case, but opted to go with the RocketFish, which is sort of a grayish clear and you can still see the Apple Logo. But I have found that this case at least in my area of use (hahaha) definitely majorly reduces the signal dropping issue and puts my phone on par with the 3GS at least.

This is all so crazy!

I hear that! All about preferance. I dont ever hold my phone left handed anyways so I'm not too worried about it lol.

p.s. no matter what.....I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I hear that! All about preferance. I dont ever hold my phone left handed anyways so I'm not too worried about it lol.

p.s. no matter what.....I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

You know what is weird is that when I am talking on the phone, I usually hold it with my right hand so I usually don't touch that spot. But when I am playing on the phone, I tend to grip it with my left hand on that bad spot and then use my left hand for inputing.

Ultimately for me this is a non-issue but I always use cases and I am pretty sure Apple will address this in some way. Hopefully this software update does the trick.

One thing for sure, I am not giving my iPhone 4 up over this! LOL

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It's true thats where he might use his phone the most but if you have 1 bar it could easily go in and out no matter what phone you have or if the antenna is blocked. This happens with my 3Gs all the time when it has 1 bar I pick it up and if it doesn't like it then I don't get service thats why this is an untrue video when he is trying to show possible solutions for people with 4 to 5 bars when he has 1 so the solution might work and his phone just doesn't have service all together.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's true thats where he might use his phone the most but if you have 1 bar it could easily go in and out no matter what phone you have or if the antenna is blocked. This happens with my 3Gs all the time when it has 1 bar I pick it up and if it doesn't like it then I don't get service thats why this is an untrue video when he is trying to show possible solutions for people with 4 to 5 bars when he has 1 so the solution might work and his phone just doesn't have service all together.

I don't get you, it is a true video for where he lives. Where does he say anywhere that he is trying to show solutions for people with 4 or 5 bars? You are reading into this what you want to apparently.

I think we all know reception fluctuates in fringe areas, but that is irrelevant in what he is demonstrating. He was attempting to show and did so very well I might add that when he held the phone in a certain manner that he lost his signal no matter what effort he made to prevent it. He could do it with absolutely consistency. Which means for him if he uses his phone touching that sweet spot he will ALWAYS lose his signal. Again this is more of an issue for folks like him that live in fringe areas than someone that would have 4 or 5 bars consistently.

Do you have an iPhone 4? Have you tested this out yourself?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2