I survived Apple Store iPhone 4 Launch day

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I arrived at the Apple Store around 6:30AM. 6 hours and 45 minutes later, I walk out with an iPhone 4.

I met some cool people, made some new friends and the experience was like no other. Free Starbucks coffee too. I'm totally exhausted from standing the whole time. But overall, it was a great experience.

What about the rest of you?

lilshorty#IM

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
i did not survive.... i had my kids an wife with me an after 6 hours of being out in the tucson sun they had enough so now i have to wait till 29th or just say f it an pre order for july 14..........

RyzeHD

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Man crazy stories... I endured much less. I arrived at my Burlingame, CA Apple store around 6:30am, got in the Reservations line which was at the time about half a block from the store. Waited in line approx. 1 hour before I got inside the store and made the transaction for my iPhone. I was out by 8:00am. They gave out free Smart Water and Danish. Our experiences may vary, but the outcome was (ultimately) the same, walk out w/ our new baby.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I waited from 11:30 AM until 3:00 PM but it wasn't too bad. I brought one of those collapsable lawn chairs- left in the suburban for my son's baseball games ( I didn't think that far ahead-just was lucky) and the apple store in Baybrook mall in Houston is indoors so no heat problems. They served bagels w/ cream cheese, water bottles, doughnuts and a variety of sandwiches. They did run out of extra phones about 2:30 so if you didn't pre order you were out of luck. A lot of the people waited for hours and had to walk away empty handed. I'm thankful I reordered!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Got there a little past 3:30, about 100 deep, 90% non-reservation peeps. Opened the mall at 6, free breakfast and drinks from chick-fil-a, store opens at 7. I am done by 7:35. The non-reserved people? I went back to the mall at lunch for some batteries at Radio Shack and I saw one guy that was behind me waiting in the initial line outside the mall when I got there. He was still in line. This was at noon. Crazy.

Last edited:

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Ouch... got there at 5:30, stood in the non-reservation line for 10 minutes and then got in the reservation line of about 30 deep at 5:40. Was in the doors at 7:50 and was in my truck on the way home at 8:05. They ended up turning away half of the non-reservation line, had to be over 200 people in that one.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I made it!!! got there at 2:30AM, and there was already 150 in front of me. 9 1/2 hours later i finally got a phone. Apples roll out was horrible, they split the lines into 2 starting at 6:45 and they were letting in 15 pre-orders for 2 walk-ins. Things got a little interesting for a while because some of the people in the line started yelling at apple employees and the security because the walk in line was going SO slow. The group of pre-order people in front of me said they waited 2 hours, but it didnt contended with my 9 hours. haha

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Got there at 10 a.m., walked out at 4. Great people in the line, but dang - what a day! My family is not happy with me. They'll get over it...only see them twice a year anyway. ;)

thebrain2u

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
Crazy day. Arrived at 6am at the Valley Fair mall in Santa Clara. Stood in the reserved line for 5 hours before gettin' in. But it was worth it, baby!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Had mine pre-ordered, and really late on pre-order day. I was on the July 2nd list and
I luckily somehow was able to receive it today. The store is a block away from where I
work. I got to work, stopped by the store and picked it up :)

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I got to the mall at 6:30am today and there was around 150 people in front of me. I was at the entrance closest to the Apple store. When they finally opened the door at 6:55 we all calmly walked towards the store but to our surprise found there was over 1000 people already in line. What had happened was mall security opened all the other entrances first so we were SOL. I had to wait for a total of 3 hours (not too bad) but I wish the mall had better management when it came to letting people in.

Best story of the day. After 3 hours you get fairly friendly with your line mates. The guy behind me noticed a friend of his standing next to the non-preorder line. He asked him if he was getting an iPhone and he said no and that he was there to wait with a friend. After about an hour Apple told everyone that from a certain point on they would not be getting an iPhone today but they would take there info and get them one on 7/29. Once they made that announcement a woman frantically asked if anyone would give up there spot for $200. He gladly accepted her offer since he had zero intention of getting one anyway. Not to bad, he was just there to support a friend and ends up with an extra 2 bills. Nice!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Best story of the day. After 3 hours you get fairly friendly with your line mates. The guy behind me noticed a friend of his standing next to the non-preorder line. He asked him if he was getting an iPhone and he said no and that he was there to wait with a friend. After about an hour Apple told everyone that from a certain point on they would not be getting an iPhone today but they would take there info and get them one on 7/29. Once they made that announcement a woman frantically asked if anyone would give up there spot for $200. He gladly accepted her offer since he had zero intention of getting one anyway. Not to bad, he was just there to support a friend and ends up with an extra 2 bills. Nice!

That is cool. I would have said, for 250 you can have my spot.

eratanun

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy on E. Colonial in Orlando dropped ball and F-ed up my pre-order, so I had to drive out to the Apple store at 8:30. 8 hours later, a few free coffees and waters, and I'm sitting here now syncing my new iPhone 4 32gb! The little I had a chance to play with it, it's WELL worth the wait!!!

S

stphnman20

I didn't! The ratio was 50:1!! After 12 hours in the walk in line, I was still in the same spot when I lined up at midnight! This sucks! I want my iPhone 4!

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

That's pretty cool.

Very early, a little past 7am, some kid comes from the front of the line to the very back were we were and says he's got a guy who's selling his spot for $400! We looked at the guy like he was crazy. To the best of my knowledge, nobody took him up on his offer. And even after waiting over 6hrs for a phone, I would have been kicking my self if I actually paid that guy for his spot.

moody6635

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
majority of you guys must of been pre orders lol or something i arrived a 12:00am and had my phone at about 9:45am ...wish i could of arrive at 2 or 3 lol

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I went to my local apple store which is located in the Mac Aurther Mall in Norfolk, VA. I get there at about 4:30am and there is a line in the parking garage waiting to get into the mall. We are all told by the security guard that there was only one enterance for the mall opening for the iphone 4 launch. Well was wrong all the enterances for the mall was open and it was a MAD DASH to apple. Two HUGE lines one for pre orders and one for non pre orders. I was in the non pre order line. I stood in line from 4:30 am to 4:45/ 5:00pm which is when I fiinally got my 16GB Iphone 4!!! It was a tiring experience with the pre order people being douchebags and getting in the line mulitple times buying phones. But I met alot of cool new people along the way. The apple emloyees were nice and they feed us all Breakfeast, Lunch, and Dinner to all who were waiting in line.

The mall was just packed though thousands of people were in line. Alot got turned away. I barely made the cut off line for the phones lol. I was even on the local news, they were covering the iphone 4 launch and I am see standing in line talking etc. I am tired now and I need to get some sleep but the Iphone 4 is awesome. All in all it was a good experience but I would not EVER do it again lol.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77