hey TiPb!! Just wanted to share my thoughts about using iOS 4 on my 3GS, and to see if you all have experienced similar things. After installing iOS 4, I notice an amazing speed increase with activities like loading web pages over wifi and 3G and launching programs. I can't believe how fast I can move between apps and how quickly web pages render. The colors also seem much more rich in iOS 4 vs. iOS 3. My wallpapers and app icons really pop. I was at best buy today and held my iphone to the one they had on the display running the previous OS and the color difference was amazing. The only negative thing about iOS 4 I've noticed is if you point safari to apple's website and try to customize a macbook, the browser hangs horribly, and sometimes will crash. Other then that, it's a really stellar update so for those of you still waiting,
    06-17-2010 02:04 AM
    App switching is really amazing, once the third party apps are optimized for multitasking app loading is going to be soo fast not only in the default apps but also in twitter, Facebook, etc...

Re: colours, actually I noticed the icons look a lot less saturated in iOS4... It's kind of weird and off-putting. Maybe it depends on the batch of 3GS you have..

It's something I'm willing to put up with though, app-switching really is amazing, especially for quick access to settings... And all the animations including rotation in the browser are soooooo buttery smooth!!
    06-17-2010 02:16 AM
    App switching is really amazing, once the third party apps are optimized for multitasking app loading is going to be soo fast not only in the default apps but also in twitter, Facebook, etc...

Re: colours, actually I noticed the icons look a lot less saturated in iOS4... It's kind of weird and off-putting. Maybe it depends on the batch of 3GS you have..

It's something I'm willing to put up with though, app-switching really is amazing, especially for quick access to settings... And all the animations including rotation in the browser are soooooo buttery smooth!!
    going to sound stupid here, but I have to ask. Jello, have you noticed that when you go to mail (btw, I have my mobile me and my gmail set up) and you are viewing all inboxes, and you slide from right to left on a message it no longer says "delete" but "archive"? Where is the message being archived exactly? I have yet to figure it out.
    06-17-2010 02:40 AM
    going to sound stupid here, but I have to ask. Jello, have you noticed that when you go to mail (btw, I have my mobile me and my gmail set up) and you are viewing all inboxes, and you slide from right to left on a message it no longer says "delete" but "archive"? Where is the message being archived exactly? I have yet to figure it out.
    Mine still says "delete".
    06-17-2010 09:59 AM
    Mine says delete as well. Using a GMail exchange account.
    06-17-2010 10:27 AM
    Mine sometimes says Archive and then sometimes Delete...that is frustrating but I can deal with it. I am running iOS4 on my 3G right now with all features working and it does run nicely. The 3G obviously hesitates a little bit when having a lot of items in the "task switcher" if you will but since nothing other than Apple Apps are multitasking it hasnt slowed too bad. The colors are for sure way better than previously it does pop a lot more. So far I love iOS4 and can't wait to have it on my iPhone 4 with A4 chip and bettery battery!!!!
    06-17-2010 10:39 AM
    Mine still says delete! Never seen it say Archive.

Anyone else noticed icons looking a little less saturated? It's particularly noticeable on the Photos icon.
    06-17-2010 10:50 AM
    I have never seen archive either. Just delete. Can you please post a screenshot MsEYE.
    06-17-2010 11:00 AM
    I figured it out it's only for gmail does the archive option show up. I will screen cap later
    06-17-2010 11:55 AM
    This is off by default, but check here:

06-17-2010 12:07 PM
    This might sound like a dumb question, but how are you able to download iOS 4? On the Apple Canada site it's still got that little tab in the upper right hand corner saying "Coming Soon." Is it risky to download the iOS 4 from a third party?
    06-17-2010 01:32 PM
    I do some freelance work for a Apple Developer is how I got access. Theres other ways to do it but thats the most legitimate way. Just wait, its only a few more days now!
    06-17-2010 02:30 PM
    This might sound like a dumb question, but how are you able to download iOS 4? On the Apple Canada site it's still got that little tab in the upper right hand corner saying "Coming Soon." Is it risky to download the iOS 4 from a third party?
    You can torrent it easily, but with iOS4 launch a handful of days away and there *may* be slight differences between what's out there and what will be out there Monday, I'd wait.
    06-17-2010 03:28 PM
    My observations:

1. Battery life is worse
    2. Notes app some times forgets your edits- oops! Drove me nuts with my weekly shopping list last weekend
    3. Camera takes pictures really quickly (delay for shutter click animation and photo shrink to preview icon on bottom toolbar animation)
    4. Contour view in Navigon doesn't work (the new view that was a $10 in-app purchase)
    5. Folders are nice.
    6. Task-switching is nice. Can't wait for iOS4-compatible 3rd party apps for some real fast-task switching (and backgrounding for Navigon and Skype).
    06-17-2010 03:56 PM
    This is off by default, but check here:

I don't have the option in my Gmail account. Is your Gmail account set as an Exchange push account? That's how I have my account.
    06-17-2010 04:05 PM
    No, it's just a regular gmail account.
    06-17-2010 04:07 PM
    My observations:

1. Battery life is worse
    2. Notes app some times forgets your edits- oops! Drove me nuts with my weekly shopping list last weekend
    3. Camera takes pictures really quickly (delay for shutter click animation and photo shrink to preview icon on bottom toolbar animation)
    4. Contour view in Navigon doesn't work (the new view that was a $10 in-app purchase)
    5. Folders are nice.
    6. Task-switching is nice. Can't wait for iOS4-compatible 3rd party apps for some real fast-task switching (and backgrounding for Navigon and Skype).
    Yes its definately worse on 4.0
    06-17-2010 04:19 PM
    Hi! First post for me, and unfortunately, it's a dumb question! I put ios4 on my phone(3g). No problems until the end when itunes asked me if I wanted to set it as a new phone, or restore it from back up. Well, I hit back up, and now I have version 4, but no utilities folder! I do have a new calc logo, and game center, but otherwise, it looks just like my old set up. Should I try installing ver. 4 again, or just leave it alone? Thanks, and sorry for the long post!!
    06-17-2010 04:25 PM
    thanks guys i figured out the archive thing thanks to you! i turned off archive and no longer do i see that!
    06-17-2010 04:37 PM
    No, it's just a regular gmail account.
    That would be the difference. Mine is Push Exchange and not regular POP.
    06-17-2010 04:38 PM
    My observations:

1. Battery life is worse
    Really? I got an extra 30-45 minutes out of my battery life. Odd.
    06-17-2010 04:39 PM
    Yes its definately worse on 4.0
    My battery seems to be about the same as it was with jb'd 3.1.3. I'm definitely hoping the iPhone 4 has the battery life they are claiming.
    06-17-2010 04:39 PM
    how do you create the folders?
    06-17-2010 05:26 PM
    how do you create the folders?
    Touch until the "jiggling" takes place, drag one app onto another. A category/folder will be formed. You can change the name of the category if you choose. Continue adding apps to the folder.
    06-17-2010 05:28 PM
    My battery seems to be about the same as it was with jb'd 3.1.3. I'm definitely hoping the iPhone 4 has the battery life they are claiming.
    Agreed, my battery is about the same. I noticed it draining quickly yesterday but I was testing the limits of task-switching for like an hour with third-party apps and default apps.. The animation was just so fun haha...

I think if you have a ton of apps in saved state it will hurt the battery a little bit, but it's more actively switching between the apps that effects it. Either way it wasn't really an adverse affect on my battery at all with normal interaction.
    Last edited by Jellotime91; 06-17-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    06-17-2010 07:39 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD