Is it possible to set the iPhone up to delete emails from the phone only and not the server?
    01-17-2010 01:33 PM
    all of this depends on what email you're using. You can't change from doing one thing to the other. What is the email address you're having trouble with?
    01-17-2010 02:25 PM
    I use a gmail and a pop email. It worked OK when I had a windows based mobile (Xperia X1)
    01-17-2010 02:59 PM
    It will be 100x easier to work with them deleting from both places if you switch to using imap instead of pop
    01-17-2010 05:27 PM
    But my mail server is a pop. I like the idea of seeing what emails I have whilst I am out and about and then read them on my laptop when I am home.
    01-17-2010 05:46 PM
    The problem is, pop3 mail won't do that, and the iPhone email client isn't designed with pop3 in mind, so you don't get the option of leaving a copy on the server. flyingmember is correct - you're far better off using IMAP. You can set your gmail account to use IMAP, and you might have the option on that pop account of forwarding to your gmail account.
    01-17-2010 06:03 PM
    The problem is, pop3 mail won't do that, and the iPhone email client isn't designed with pop3 in mind, so you don't get the option of leaving a copy on the server. flyingmember is correct - you're far better off using IMAP. You can set your gmail account to use IMAP, and you might have the option on that pop account of forwarding to your gmail account.
    Yes, I was just going to suggest that if the user really wants a POP style solution, his best bet is to setup two email accounts and have the original email account forward a copy of each message to the "dummy-POP3" account; that way, the user can view and delete the emails on his device, but still have the original emails intact on the original email address. On the other hand, you could always just use the "mark as unread" button and use a regular, single email setup...
    01-17-2010 09:54 PM
    I find it strange because on my last phone which was the Xperia X1 there was a setting which said delete from phone and not server. Not sure if that was because it was Windows based.
    01-18-2010 01:25 AM
    I find it strange because on my last phone which was the Xperia X1 there was a setting which said delete from phone and not server. Not sure if that was because it was Windows based.
    which was a client side setting the iphone does not have
    01-18-2010 09:19 AM
    I have sorted it now thanks and it works a treat.
    01-18-2010 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD