Water in Iphone

wrdvento

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I've searched but need some help.

Ok, so my phone fell into the sink as I reached for something else :( (I've had the damn thing for about 2 months) I turned it off right away and have it in a bag of rice. Before I turned it off, the screen was flickering and the lock button didn't make the noise it normally would.

Worse case the phone is toast (which I think it is) are the replacements from Apple new units? Does the 199 to get a new phone again still apply?

Thanks and sorry if this was asked before

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Chances are you won't be able to get it replaced via any kind of warranty I'm familiar with (Apple won't if the little indicators on the inside of the phone are red and AT&T doesn't offer any kind of warranty or insurance on them - not sure about other carriers). As far as cost, it depends on your carrier. AT&T will charge full price (and obviously it will be a new device) unless you qualify for an "upgrade" on a line. The 3GS 32GB is either $499 or $599, I can't recall. Don't know about the other models. Generally, the low price points advertised are "subsidized" meaning only if you get a 2 or 3 year contract (again, depending on carrier). They aren't good if you are currently under a contract. AT&T used to have an early upgrade discount which helped, but if you signed the contract 2 months ago, I'm pretty sure you don't fall in that category. Sorry.

wrdvento

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Josh, I'll see what happens tomorrow with the phone. If it's bad, (which is inevitable) I'm screwed as I just got the phone, and it is a 3Gs and 32G

apolicerecruit

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
The Apple store will replace it

I took my 3GS on a triathlon. The waterproof case failed and it was toast. The Apple store replace it with a standard 3G for $100. I had to wait until I had an upgrade on my other line to get my 3GS back. It sucks, but it beats forking out $500 for another phone. If the screen flickered, the phone is dead.

wrdvento

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The phone was toast and would barely work. $199 for a replacement from the Apple store today :( I think it is a refub unit. Isn't there a way to tell by the serial #?

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
The phone was toast and would barely work. $199 for a replacement from the Apple store today :( I think it is a refub unit. Isn't there a way to tell by the serial #?

I would think they would have to tell you if it was a refurb when they sold it. The only thing I've seen garnered from the serial number is the week of manufacture (I think it's the 3rd through 5th numbers or something). Not sure if they change the serial numbers on refurbs or not. Hopefully someone with refurb experience will chime in.

pcapple

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
This Is The Fix

I had a similar issue a few months ago with my white 32gb 3Gs.

I purchased my phone new from ATT at the end of August 2009, and in November I had noticed that my home button had stopped working. I made a appointment at the Genius Bar, where the tech told me there was nothing he could do because my water sensors had been activated.

A few days later I called Apple's customer service to discuss the issue. After telling the CSR about the water damage issue, they said there was nothing they could do, but as soon as I mentioned the hair line cracks around the charging port of my phone, I was instantly cleared for a brand new, not a refurbished iPhone.

He made a not in the computer, gave me a code and made a appointment for me again at the genius bar.

So, even with the water damage sensors tripped, if the case has cracks, you get a new phone.:D

I've searched but need some help.

Ok, so my phone fell into the sink as I reached for something else :( (I've had the damn thing for about 2 months) I turned it off right away and have it in a bag of rice. Before I turned it off, the screen was flickering and the lock button didn't make the noise it normally would.

Worse case the phone is toast (which I think it is) are the replacements from Apple new units? Does the 199 to get a new phone again still apply?

Thanks and sorry if this was asked before

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Replacements are always refurbs as I recall

Apple told me many months back when I had to do a warranty exchange that they do not give out refurbs. They are new but just in a different box. I asked this at another store and they said the same. Dont know how true that is but just the info I was told.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2