iPhone OS 4.0 - What models will support it?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I would say all. I do not imagine they wan't to divide the market of the millions upon millions of iPhones out there. As far as Tramain said about paying.... as the british say bullocks. It will be free.

TeknologeeFreak

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I dont think it would divide the markets. You cant play an XBOX 360 game on a regular XBOX, but you can play XBOX games on an XBOX 360. if the processor wouldnt perform at a standard to enjoy the UI, would it be worth the while to have it on, lets say, an original iPhone?? Maybe im not thinking clearly, but that is what seems to be my reasoning.

I would like to see a change of scenery, as I think alot of us would. So, to do an overhaul on the UI and make it compete with for example the Android OS, could they do this and make it run good on an original iPhones hardware??

Im somewhat of a Noob, so go easy on me guys. Im only trying to speak my opinion and gain some knowledge :)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I agree with Tramain

I don't think so, I think 2G users will have to pay like iPod Touch users.

The only reason the iPhone updates are free is becuase of the 2 year accounting Apple uses for them (unlike the touch). So for sure the 1st gen iPhone will cost $10 or something like the iPod touch for the update and possibly the 2nd gen iPhone depending on when they release the software update...after July 11 and it will cost money as well.

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I read something many many months ago about apple charging for upgrades.
Is this true?

This was long before I even contemplated getting an iPhone, so I didn't look into it at all.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Tramain

The only reason the iPhone updates are free is becuase of the 2 year accounting Apple uses for them (unlike the touch). So for sure the 1st gen iPhone will cost $10 or something like the iPod touch for the update and possibly the 2nd gen iPhone depending on when they release the software update...after July 11 and it will cost money as well.

Yup, After 2 Years no more free upgrades!

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Huh. Mr. Jobs is greedier than I thought. Anyway...

So generally, when a new model comes out, there is an o/s upgrade for previous models that are capable of supporting it?

So, if the next iPhone is an improvement, the 3Gs will likely see an upgrade.
Or, if the next iPhone is a more substantial, radical change, previous models would potentially not be able to run the new software?

Just curious.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
So, if the next iPhone is an improvement, the 3Gs will likely see an upgrade.
Or, if the next iPhone is a more substantial, radical change, previous models would potentially not be able to run the new software?

They likely will all get the new OS update, but even though they could all be on version 4.0...4.0 will not be the same on all devices. Example is with the 1st gen iPhone running 3.x software, but can't send MMS.

Possible future example is 4.0 allowing multitasking, but only the new phone and 3GS will get the ability leaving out the 1st and 2nd gen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77