cracked screen

mcp2

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
If the crack is like the one shown here and the user says this

The ipod is in good condition apart from a crack in the outer glass screen. This does not however affect the operation of the ipod in anyway, the touch screen and all other functions work perfectly.

What exactly is damaged and is it repairable (what would I need)?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i'd say if the seller is selling it, there's a good chance there might be more wrong with it. why doesn't he fix it and keep it? buyer beware.

A cracked iPod or iPhone screen is really a lose-lose proposition: you either pay someone upwards of $100 to repair it, or shell out for a new one. you can fix it yourself, but it's been reported to be VERY DIFFICULT. here's a walkthrough: Installing iPod Touch 1st Generation Front Panel - iFixit

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
dont waste your money on it. its possible that it doesnt affect it now, but what about in the future? do you realize if you had it out and a single drop of water got through that crack it would permanently damage the phone? or that using the phone (as anyone would) would eventually bring more hairline cracks to it turning it into a spiderweb??

dont waste your money.. craigslist is a good choice too, because you can actually go look at it in your area. my suggestion? save your money and buy a NEW one. or look for a refurb they have tons of websites with refurb'd phones; some more than half off...

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
the glass on the front of the screen.

lol i think you know that.. but to be sure that theres nothing wrong with the touch sensitivity youd have to physically use it, or get a video from the person, showing him using it fine... how..exactly are you planning on fixing it??? epoxy??:D

**Edit: (reads the guide above) oh. i think the epoxy idea is a quicker safer route.

Last edited:

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thatll probably work. but make sure its got a radio on it. thats the *unnaturally small golden thing* after reading this post yesterday at work, i went searching around and whaddaya know i found a couple of those pry tools inside a macbox(I work for tech support for a newspaper). i followed the method in the guide and it worked !!!

Not to say it wasnt the MOST DIFFICULT THING TO DO EVER. I suggest buying some magnifying glasses (ones you can actually wear) like a jewelers eyeglass. and use magnetic-tipped tools, as the screws were itty bitty. But after taking the time, and please take your time.. i say do this on a sunday or something, i put it back together seamlessly. <3 apple.

mcp2

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
It seems a lot easier to fix on the 2nd gen than 1st gen from the guides. Anybody know how I go about switching around the Home buttons from the old panel to the new one?

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If you have an iphone or touch, you can open it up and peek around, its very layered, but its probably just a wire or two connecting to a board. you might even be able to pull the board out... or not. Try lookin around online to see if anyone has shots of the iPhone OPEN, and all the parts out of it, to get a general idea.. then brush up on soldering just in cases and good luck. Id love to see a step-by-step If you get the phone open and are successful. :p

GDong#IM

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Do not buy the iPod Touch with the cracked Glass/Touch Screen. iPod Touch is a disposable Hardware architecture. There are repair shops offering the iPod Touch Glass Replacement for close to $130. I can get a new iPod Touch for $225. Why would I buy the broken screen iPod Touch. Just don not do it.

Whereas if you have an iPhone with the cracked glass, it makes sense. Apple did a great job on the iPhone architecture & is very sturdy. The reason for this is Apple is getting close to $500 - $600 on each iPhone paid by AT&T. But for iPod Touch they do not have this extra margin. Also it is not possible to get the iPhone for $220 without signing a contract. So if you are getting a cracked iPhone for $150, it will cost you only $79 to fix it. Check out Cupertino iPhone Repair. So you get a perfectly working iPhone for $230. No need to sign a contract.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
The iPod shown in the picture seems to have it's glass cracked, however in some cases, if the impact was not to strong, everithing works peferctly because the touch screen is only under the glass but uses a different material that makes it more resistant. I have had a cracked screen iPhone myself, the touch screen worked perfectly for months before I got it repaired