Traveling to Europe w/ iPhone

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And back to the other question, yes. As long as you put it in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, you won't get any roaming charges.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Cellular data is the data that comes from your cell carrier...and if you're roaming from your carrier's roaming partner - which can be really expensive.

suasex

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
just got back from a month in europe. I managed 49.6 of the 50 I bought before I left. was painful, but all I used it for was maps really. I did get screwed with texting though, not looking forward to that bill!

pendragyn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Cellular data is the data that comes from your cell carrier...and if you're roaming from your carrier's roaming partner - which can be really expensive.

So should you turn off Cellular Data and turn it on airplane mode to be safe?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes, because if you have the phone part on at all...something will come through. And it will cost you. Turning it on airplane mode is easier than taking the sim out.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Hank! Thanks for all of the recommendations. We have some of that on our list but I will def check into it all. We can't wait - we have about 4 days there so hopefully we will get in a lot. I think we might take a train to the country too, just to see the sights.

Thanks for taking the time for the advice - much appreciated!

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Alli,

Because I am paranoid - can I just pop the sim card out, put it somewhere safe to make absolutly sure I do not get any charges? I really have no use of cell minutes and/or texts while I am there so I do not mind missing calls and texts. I really just want to use it for the camara, my checkbook program, facebook, etc over wifi at hopefully abundant wifi spots. The non-phone part of the iPhone will still work without the sim card installed, right? WiFi?

Also, anyone recommend any app that might send my voicemails to my email account to download and listen to that way? Not sure if it exists but thought i'd check. I think google voice may do this and I do have an account/number but have never used it. Anything that might email my tests to me also??

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes, yes, and yes! Free way for your voicemails is to get a Google Voice account if you don't already have one, and have it handle all your voicemail. Then it will send you an email with the voicemail (a mediocre transcription, and the mp3 so you can listen).

Texts don't forward, but you can try to get people to use GV for this too, and then you can read them online or with the Black Swan GV web app.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Alli. maybe i will set it up just so my voicemails will get forwarded to me. probably not deal with texts...

Any other advise/cool apps anyone recommends for travel abroad, specifically Europe? This is my first time out of the country and i am trying to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When I go abroad on vacation, I check email and Twitter. I've started using Skype just so I can call home one time and say hi, having a great time, see ya when I get home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4