I only get call failed on a consistent basis in my apt and my 3G can be iffy at times. Elevators and subways are no service areas. Other than that, I feel like I can get a connection fairly well here in NYC. If I'm outside, I get a connection.
    07-14-2009 09:13 PM
    I have seen the same flaky 3G dropped call/call failed problem in my office. When I had my BB 8310 I loved it because I had a dropped call about 3 times a year, seriously. It was bulletproof. The first week with my 3GS I had 5 dropped calls. Not a good user experience. It almost went back to the store. I now have learned that while in my office, I set it back to EDGE, and I get decent connections, can make and receive calls, and get much better battery life as well!

See, all I had to do was learn to serve the iPhone and the ATT network, rather than make them serve me. Silly me, I thought I was the customer, and paying the bills......
    I tend to agree with you. I use a BB Curve and it has RARELY dropped calls and this issue does give me pause about switching to the Iphone. It is still a phone.
    07-14-2009 09:24 PM
    Pasadena, Ca here. I've had a bunch of dropped calls, but i'm sure living in an apartment and near tall buildings adds to the already poor coverage. We're all in it together. I'd call customer service to complain, but i'm sure i'll get a dropped call in the process. LOL.
    07-18-2009 03:11 AM
    I was just going to ask if there were any Californians here w bad reception but ^^ kinda cleared that up! lol How bout in the San Joaquin Valley: Fresno, Stockton, Bakersfield? Any iphone users there w good reception?
    07-18-2009 03:22 AM
    This sums up many people's experience with the iPhone on AT&T.

(Warning -- one naughty word in the early part of the clip -- do not click through if that language offends you.)
    07-20-2009 01:40 PM
    amazing service except for certain areas and rural areas

It helped that Cingular/SBC began in Missouri.

If you look at the baby bell areas it's the Bell South and Southwestern Bell areas with the best AT&T cell coverage. Guess what, Verizon is/was the northeast
    07-20-2009 04:23 PM
    I'm in So Cal, the northern LA County/Southern Ventura County area. I've only had 1 time where service was an issue, at the Hollywood Bowl with about 17,000 other people all with cellphones. People on other carriers were complaining as well, so I know it wasn't just AT&T being overwhelmed.
    07-20-2009 05:23 PM
    It's 3G. If I run into the call failed problem I turn off 3G and it works.
    07-25-2009 05:10 PM
    This is the main reason I'm keeping my Verizon flip phone. I use that to make/receive calls and my iPhone for data/email/apps/iPod/texting.

If Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll be paying my ETF with ATT that day and going to Verizon.
    07-25-2009 11:51 PM
    This is the main reason I'm keeping my Verizon flip phone. I use that to make/receive calls and my iPhone for data/email/apps/iPod/texting.

If Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll be paying my ETF with ATT that day and going to Verizon.
    I think this is an iPhone problem. It thinks there's a 3G signal where there is none. When the iPhone 3G first came out there were also problems like that for data.
    07-26-2009 02:26 AM
    I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and am expierencing multiple call failed messages per day. I went to ATT who informed me that they sell Apple, they don't service it so go to the Apple store. The Apple store points the finger at ATT saying 'go to ATT and get a new SIM card'. Apple also encouraged me to turn off Push for emails and to turn off 3G "unless you're a power user who really needs the speed". Turn off a feature I'm paying for? Are you kidding me? This leads me to believe that Apple is in colusion with ATT and that ATT may have oversold tower capacity. The new SIM card has changed nothing, I'm still getting call failed messages several times a day, and incomiing calls are going straight to voicemail.
    I love the features of the iPhone, but ATT and Apple need to remember that first and foremost it is a phone and needs to function as such.

Hello, Verizon? Can I come back please?
    12-21-2009 12:39 PM
    I live in Nashville, TN and AT&T service is great. I've had maybe 5 dropped calls all year! The people I know who have Verizon in my area say their service is very good too. Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket are the carriers everybody around here complains about. I've had a really bad experience with Sprint in my area. Stuck with them and the dropped calls for 4 years before I finally left.

I wished people would seriously stop assuming the room....that is.....just because service in your area is great/poor doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else. Every city is different.
    12-21-2009 06:35 PM
    I think it's the phone because when ever you ask a Genius about the call failures, they tell you to reboot the phone. I've had ATT for 5 years now, I never had a call failures unless someone happen to be calling me while I'm calling them at the same time.

It wasn't until I got the iPhone 3G that I got call failures. More than ever. I still experience it with the 3GS.
    Last edited by OmariJames; 12-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    12-22-2009 10:52 AM
    Damn I feel so bad for you guys. You can't get good reception anywhere, and by that I mean actual use, you may have high bars, but nothing moves to fast. I had to roam on AT&T my last few trips with my iPhone and DAMN they suck.
    12-22-2009 11:59 AM
    I get a good reception. I even called AT&T and have been told that I live in a good area, but I constantly get these "call failed". It really has me contemplating the only phone that works best for me. My 3G is jailbroken so I don't think the Genius Bar will even look at it, does anyone have any advise for me?
    05-18-2010 01:02 AM
    I think it's the phone because when ever you ask a Genius about the call failures, they tell you to reboot the phone. I've had ATT for 5 years now, I never had a call failures unless someone happen to be calling me while I'm calling them at the same time.

It wasn't until I got the iPhone 3G that I got call failures. More than ever. I still experience it with the 3GS.
    Right but that would mean it wouldn't perform well on other carriers either, but, it does. It performs extremely well here in Canada. So, it's not the phone. It's a combination of the two, plus when you got an iPhone so did everybody else. That bogged down the network severely.
    05-18-2010 01:54 AM
    I really do not have that many call failed issues at all. I know that many iPhone users seem to have this issue, but in IMHO I think it has more to do with ATT and their 3G service then the iPhone itself.
    05-18-2010 01:55 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD