*OFFICIAL no sleep till 3.1 thread*

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
it's not the fact that there are "new" features, moreso that the features that they gave us don't work right, and this should take care of a lot of things hopefully.

1.battery life
2.sound distortion
3.MMS
4.bluetooth enhancements.
5.not making me feel like i bought a $500 compass.

What are the chances that battery life improvement will affect processor speed. I hope apple does npt downgrade this new processor to improve battery life.:(

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
What are the chances that battery life improvement will affect processor speed. I hope apple does npt downgrade this new processor to improve battery life.:(

You can't downgrade a processor with a software update.

As for increased battery life in 3.1, I highly doubt it.

raremage

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You can't downgrade a processor with a software update.

As for increased battery life in 3.1, I highly doubt it.

But you can tell it to run slower, in an attempt to increase battery life.

Or to sleep differently, in an effort to conserve power during idle times.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
But you can tell it to run slower, in an attempt to increase battery life.

Or to sleep differently, in an effort to conserve power during idle times.

The second one seems more possible than the first. I highly doubt apple would EVER decrease the processing power for the phone who's selling point is processing power (and a video camera).

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Decreasing the processor speed would be retarded. Thats like chopping someone's legg off because they said their toenail got infected. Thats just handicapping them.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Shaving off a few megahertz can go unnoticed in terms of speed, but it could make a world of difference to battery life, wifi problems and heat dissipation.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Shaving off a few megahertz can go unnoticed in terms of speed, but it could make a world of difference to battery life, wifi problems and heat dissipation.

well you can have your handicapped iphone with 1hr of extra battery life. I'll take mine full speed ahead captain. :rolleyes:

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Guys your batter life issues are caused by a Mobile Me bug. If you are currently syncing calenders or contacts or bookmarks via mobile me then deactivate that feature for now until 3.0.1 comes out.

Barrett316

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Guys your batter life issues are caused by a Mobile Me bug. If you are currently syncing calenders or contacts or bookmarks via mobile me then deactivate that feature for now until 3.0.1 comes out.

I am using mobileme but the only thing active is the find my iphone feature. The battery performace i'm talking about is this. Full charge in the morning. Take it off the charger, running edge instead of 3g. no push notifications or email, little to no brightness. within an hour battery level is at 92%. Ok on my 3G i was running the same free memory program that showed the battery level. often times i could go 4-5 hours and still be at 96%. On 2.2.1 I ran 2 days and 6 hours one time on a single charge making phonecalls and email. Now i'm lucky to last over 13 hours on minimal web browsing and email. Hardly ever use the "phone" feature, more for texting. That's my take on the situation anyway.

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
No matter what's the cause Apple needs to get an update out pronto to fix it. It's getting really annoying not being able to depend on one's phone.

I've taken the extra step of disabling my Mobile Me email which I never use anyway to see if that helps/hurts things. I'm still not getting the battery life I used to on 2.2.1.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I am using mobileme but the only thing active is the find my iphone feature. The battery performace i'm talking about is this. Full charge in the morning. Take it off the charger, running edge instead of 3g. no push notifications or email, little to no brightness. within an hour battery level is at 92%. Ok on my 3G i was running the same free memory program that showed the battery level. often times i could go 4-5 hours and still be at 96%. On 2.2.1 I ran 2 days and 6 hours one time on a single charge making phonecalls and email. Now i'm lucky to last over 13 hours on minimal web browsing and email. Hardly ever use the "phone" feature, more for texting. That's my take on the situation anyway.

I would be happy to get one full day of moderate use and not have to worry about your phone being dead when you wake up in the morning. I typically have to charge my 3gs twice a day. Now under light use I can make it 1 1/2 days on a full charge, but when does anyone ever use their iphone lightly?;)

The 3gs is my first iPhone so I have no experience with an OS below 3.0.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Actually the 3GS comes with 3.0.1 on it. 3G owners are running 3.0.0. The next update is 3.1.0.

Barrett316

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
so when do you guys think the update will be final? i'm like a crackhead with my phone plugging it in everyday clicking check for update, then nothing :(

hmm

alex6speed

Jul 14, 2009
www.6crew.com
On a normal day, since I've always in front of a computer, my iPhone is always full charged. But when it comes to being on the road ... eek! I'm hoping battery life is the #1 priority in this upgrade, and hoping the difference is huge. However, I'm not holding my breathe, since I have a 3GS, and I reckon it's like the old Pentium P4s, very powerful, but very power hungry (and always running warm, just like the 3GS).

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Safari is an issue as well.

So after a few more days of running with all my MobileMe features disabled I've discovered that Safari, or rather anything that uses Webkit, is also a culprit in running down the battery and making the phone overheat. Only when I deactivate EVERY single MobileMe service AND not use Safari or a webkit based app at all do I get back to my normal battery life and device temperature.

This is a VERY buggy release. Not only does MobileMe Push kill the phone's battery but so does Safari. Those two are my most used functions on the entire device.

I REALLY hope the next update is 1. Quick and 2. Addresses these issues.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Guess I must be lucky this time as I've had no real problems with 3.0. This time last year, I was tearing my hair out as my iPhone crashed several times a day and took several hours to make a corrupted backup. The only problem I've had so far is Safari sometimes freezing on me but it's easily solved by just pressing the home button or turning the phone off and on again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77