No voice control for 3g owners??

tmeara

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else find this to be a major omission? I'm rather furious. This is because we have been forced to seek a third party solution for a key features common to nearly all cell phones, that the hardware seems perfectly capable of performing. :mad:

Can anyone suggest some quality third party solutions? I would really appreciate it!

"2008 iPhone 3G: no video camera, voice control, compass, or related features."
Source: TiPb 3.0 walkthrough... sorry, would have linked but my post count is not high enough

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
i find it very sad that there is no voice control or video recording. Why no video recording with the 2.2.1 OS could do it when jailbroken? Voice recording apps have existed for ages and so have voice dialing apps. I think it is a ploy by apple to entice us to upgrade to the 3G S phone.

tmeara

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Voice recording apps have existed for ages and so have voice dialing apps.
I was not aware of this... now, I'm even more mad. Perhaps I should add that I regularly travel to a state which has a law against cell phone use while driving. I don't like tickets!

I think it is a ploy by apple to entice us to upgrade to the 3G S phone.
You are quite correct. However, they've only succeeded in making me want to switch back to Verizon and get a regular phone. Which is your favorite voice dialing app?

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't understand why voice control is 3Gs only. Is there a hardware component or higher performance requirement?

vlingo is my favorite voice dialer.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
i find it very sad that there is no voice control or video recording. Why no video recording with the 2.2.1 OS could do it when jailbroken? Voice recording apps have existed for ages and so have voice dialing apps. I think it is a ploy by apple to entice us to upgrade to the 3G S phone.

Voice recording is not voice control. In fact, 3.0 comes with a voice recording app for everyone.

I assume that voice control is only available for 3G S because of performance. It's a pretty sophisticated voice control system and if it is laggy or problematic on the 3G, users would be upset.

And of course, Apple wants there to be incentive to buy the new iPhone. It's called business.

tmeara

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
vlingo is my favorite voice dialer.

This app seemed like it would fit the bill perfectly, until I read the privacy policy. They upload all of your contacts and can then share them with their business associates--wow!! Thanks for the suggestion. I would definitely use this app if it wasn't for the gross privacy violations.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Where'd you get that?
This document contains the privacy policy for Vlingo (the "Service"), a service of Vlingo corporation ("Vlingo" or "we").

Vlingo never stores or keeps personally identifiable information on any user and never shares any user information outside of Vlingo for any reason. We do collect personal information to improve the service as described below.

Vlingo respects your privacy, and we take protecting it very seriously. We don't like it when people use our own personal information or offer it to others without our permission, and we won't do that to you. In fact, since our own employees are also Vlingo users, our own privacy is at stake just as much as yours is.
What personal data does Vlingo collect, and how do we use it?

We collect information that you speak or type into a Vlingo text box. This is turned into statistical information which Vlingo's speech servers use to adapt to your individual voice in order to provide you with a better experience and for product improvement. We do not and cannot use the information we collect from you to identify you as an individual or to identify your device.

We collect names of individuals and companies that appear in your address book in order to analyze them so we can provide a high quality service when you speak a contact name. We do not collect any other information associated with these names such as addresses or phone numbers. We will never use these names to contact anyone for any reason, and we have no way of associating these names with unique individuals or of linking them back to you. We will not sell or otherwise use this information to sell services to anyone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Voice recording is not voice control. In fact, 3.0 comes with a voice recording app for everyone.

I assume that voice control is only available for 3G S because of performance. It's a pretty sophisticated voice control system and if it is laggy or problematic on the 3G, users would be upset.

And of course, Apple wants there to be incentive to buy the new iPhone. It's called business.

Couldn't have said it better self, so I won't.

nightex

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
WTF Apple

So WTF Apple? WTF?? Why can't 3g have video recording, you don't need 3MP and auto-focus for video recording, all the jailbroken video recording apps have proved this!! WTF!!! No voice control!!!! Again WTMotherFW this is totally possible!!!! You don't need an improved chipset speed for voice recognition, its basic software!!! BASIC!!!!! A 5 year old Motorola has voice control!!!!! The last couple of years has really started to push my love of Apple down the MF'ing toilet! Apple are strong-arming their customers and that just aint cool!!

But.... I get it. Apple is one of those companies that would rather not support something at all, than support it poorly. Which has its good points and bad. But the biggest reason I can see for Apple to not add and support video recording (the thing that customers want the most) on the older models is because its going to give us a reason to upgrade. We live in a disposable society and Apple want us to chuck out our early models, fill in some landfill, and front-up with some more cash!!
:mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
There plenty of people who would love to have my old IPhone. I do not think it will end up in a landfill for quite a while

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77