Forms Based and 2003 Exchange 2003

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Greetings,

I'm trying to get my Exchange server configured to allow people to use the iPhone 3G now that a lot of people are getting them so cheap. The problem is we use Forms-Based authentication for our site and it appears that's what's causing the issue where people can't get their iPhones to sync.

I was reading support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817379 Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003 and saw that I can create a secondary virtual directory to make it work. I was wondering if this will still allow me to use the SSL Forms-based Authentication for our remote users also? I don't want to screw up what we're currently using but also want people to be able to use their 3G iPhones. I'm currently a Blackberry guy myself and manage the BES but if I can get the iPhones working with full sync of my mailboxes, calender, contacts in the same way that the Blackberry's are able to get theirs then I'll be a happy Admin and may even switch over to a iPhone.

Thanks

Last edited:

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
When is normally on? I have a LOT of people that are getting on me to get this working today.

Thanks

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
When is normally on? I have a LOT of people that are getting on me to get this working today.

Thanks

Most Admin on TiPB keep there online status hidden so just message Rene Ritchie he will get back to you fast I'm sure.

mmcm888

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If you want to retain forms based authentication then you will need to create a second virtual directory - The forms based authentication is still used with OWA while the iPhone users will connect to the new directory (/Exchange_oma) which does not use forms.

Use the ActiveSync tester from accessmylan to check that you have go the new virtual directoryu setup correctly.

m.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I don't hide my online status, just been a killer week with all the iPHone 3.0 iPhone 3G S stuff to cover, so it's hard to see everything. Apologies!

mmcm888 said pretty much what I'd say, but I'm not an Exchange admin, just a user who's poked around a bit. Mine uses a certificate based system, which is self-signed but the iPhone just asks if you want to use it anyway, I tap that I do, and I'm good to go.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I used the directions from the link that I posted above and was able to get it working on my wife's last night as a test. I did get the cert error but everything worked fine as far as syncing emails. I didn't sync contacts or calender because she didn't need all 800 contacts pulled down to her iPhone and my entire calender of meetings.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to sync my memo's since I keep a LOT of important data in there. Threre's way too many for me to type out by hand. I'm also wondering how the calender sync's as far as both ways and also since I have over 25 Outlook rules setup to move mail into certain folders, how will I know if I got an email and to which folder it's in? With my Blackberry it's easy because I'm able to pick the folders that it sync's up.

I'm also hearing that Calender invites are a PITA and they don't show up as normal invites so how do I accept those considering I average 12-20 a day for meetings and conference calls?

JimA#IM

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Audit,

Are you calling Outlook Notes, memos? If so, there isn't a way, natively, to sync them via Exchange, only via iTunes. And this is only available on 3.0. There is however an app named iMExchange that will sync Exchange Notes and Tasks. I've been using it for Notes for a few months and can't live without it.

Calendar syncing does indeed go both ways. IE, I can create an appointment on my iPhone and see it In Outlook and also create an appointment in Outlook and see it on my phone. I tend to accept the appointment in Outlook since there are better option for this in Outlook, but for the simple appointments, the iPhone gets the job done.

Your Outlook rules only affect mail that has been accessed by Outlook. If you have a rule that moves email from your wife into a specific folder (Deleted Items ? ;)), this is done first by Outlook, even if it is a server side rule. In other words, if an email comes into your inbox that should have an action taken on it by an Outlook rule and you read it fist on your phone, then
the rule not have been in affect yet. Once you access that email with Outlook, the rule will take affect and also be reflected on your phone.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I got my memo's sycing manually. That's good enough for now as I don't keep very many important things in it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2