Disable Auto-correction...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I simply don't understand how nobody likes this feature that they go as far as a petition to disable it. Just tap the word 3 times and disable it forever....

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I simply don't understand how nobody likes this feature that they go as far as a petition to disable it. Just tap the word 3 times and disable it forever....

Exactly... why you would want this feature off unless you are just too lazy to tap the word you do not want 3 times. Pretty simple. Oh well, what can you do... ;)

E-Bot

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Its hard to imagine humans survived the bubonic plague, yet alone tapping the x to stop the word from auto correction. I foresee in the very near future people forgetting how to wipe them selves.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I can't see how people type on this thing without auto correction. It's benefits far outweigh having to tap an x once in awhile..

obelix#IM

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
This feature is very good if someone is to write only in english. However, I write in french and the words are mostly being corrected in english so I always have to pause and press the x or if I'm in too much of a hurry and I don't notice the correction well then I have to go back and manually correct all the corrected words. That's why it would be nice to be able to disable the feature when it is not needed.

bazookafx3

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
I beg of you all please dont jump on me for asking this possibly n00bish question, but how exactly does this 'tap 3 times to disable auto correct' deal work? Ive tried tapping the word three times after typing it but the auto correct still comes up even after the three times trick. Could anyone go into detail on how this works?

kaysha

Sep 22, 2008
www.kaysha.com
Yeah, I didn't know about this 3 taps for disabling a word, but an option to turn it off like T9 dictionnaries in most phones is welcomed. I mostly write in English but I send text messages in english, french & portuguese and the auto correction at that moment becomes annoying... I had to jailbreak just to disable it. It's just a small option to add to preference, toggle on/off so everybody is happy

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, I didn't know about this 3 taps for disabling a word, but an option to turn it off like T9 dictionnaries in most phones is welcomed. I mostly write in English but I send text messages in english, french & portuguese and the auto correction at that moment becomes annoying... I had to jailbreak just to disable it. It's just a small option to add to preference, toggle on/off so everybody is happy

I agree, a simple toggle switch would be a easy fix. I never looked at it for people who type in multiple languages... :eek:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
My previous handsets had the option to toggle it on and off. The autocorrect does make me lazy after a while - I've got so used to things like capitalization and apostrophes that I expect my laptop to be able to do it. :D

kaysha

Sep 22, 2008
www.kaysha.com
Finally they become smart and let us decide a little bit... Now next thing is being able to send someone's contact or vcard from the address book by sms

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I keep this on all the time. It works great and as Dalekiller said the grammar correction is also excellent.

I am however glad the off option is here as some of my dual language colleagues really struggle with the English correction when they are trying to type in their native tongue.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I keep this on all the time. It works great and as Dalekiller said the grammar correction is also excellent.

I am however glad the off option is here as some of my dual language colleagues really struggle with the English correction when they are trying to type in their native tongue.

There is no off feature yet. It will be on the upcoming 2.2 firmware.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2