I took the plunge and have shelved my Blackberry 8830 in favor of a 16GB Iphone 3G. There are some things I love about it, and some things I already miss about my Blackberry. (Subject for another post ). However, I share the common issue with battery life, and I am trying to determine if my phone is typical, or if it might be a unique lemon, while I am still in the trial period.

I have 3G off and Wifi on, and have talked about 30 minutes on the phone today thus far. However, I have done a fair amount of web surfing via Wifi. (No YouTube or podcasting, just browsing. This will be my likely usage pattern in the long run, with 3G only on when I am away from hotspots.) I just received the 20% warning, after the phone has been off the charger for about 4 1/2 hours. Obviously, everybody's battery life is going to differ a bit, but, for those of who who have the phones already, is this typical for people who leave the Wifi radio on -- 1/2 to 2/3 of a day of use, or is this below norm enough that I should check back with the Apple Store about getting a replacement?
    08-04-2008 04:15 PM
    Welcome to the forum! Check out this link: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple...tery-life.html

And this one: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple...-8-4-08-a.html
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 08-04-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    08-04-2008 04:32 PM
    Thank you for the welcome -- actually, I had read that post, and I am already doing everything described in the linked article. Still, the battery life is ~6 hours, and, since I had not seen any postings indicating mean battery life, I thought to ask.
    08-04-2008 06:55 PM
    Oh your asking what Apple says the battery life should be?
    08-04-2008 06:56 PM
    If so here you go: Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications
    08-04-2008 06:57 PM
    Thank you, but I have read the specifications as well -- that was the reason for my original question, because my experiences so far fall well short of those specifications. (The specs page says up to 6 hours using the internet via Wifi, but I have to recharge after 6 hours, period -- with perhaps 2 hours of Wifi use in there, and 30 minutes of talk, and the remainder on standby.) I was/am hoping that other iphone 3g owners can let me know their experiences, so I can determine if the specs page is wishful thinking, and this is what I should expect, or if I simply have a bad unit.
    08-04-2008 08:07 PM
    Well you fall in with the rest of us. That's why I pointed to the battery tip thread. In there a lot of us posted screen shots of what we are getting out of the battery. You are not alone as you fall in with the rest of us.
    08-04-2008 08:11 PM
    Thanks -- I am not sure if that is good to hear or not In the next couple of days I will try an add my numbers/shots to that thread as well.
    08-04-2008 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD