The way I see it, it's extra 8GB for $100. That seems to be a fair price tag. A 8GB flash SD card will run about $80 today.
    07-03-2008 12:44 PM
    I'm in the same boat, wondering if I should go 8gb or 16gb.

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?
    I am with you on this. I have my 30GB iPod and will continue to use this for the lion's share of my music, podcast and video use, but the email functionality and some apps will chew up some space. I think the worst case scenario is that if I go with the 8GB i will have to be very aware of what Apps I allow on my iPhone in order to conserve space.
    07-03-2008 12:54 PM
    My rule of thumb is that if you are advanced enough to be posting on these forums, then you need the best specs you can get. Shoot, your email archive alone (from push mail) will eat up precious storage. For the average Joe, who hasn't even started a real audio collection, 8gb (and saving $100) may be acceptable, but forum stalkers will need more. In fact, I'd bet many of us will snap up the 32gb version as soon as it is released as well.
    07-03-2008 01:08 PM
    I currently have the 8gb, and to be honest, it works ok, but as soon as you try putting videos on it, you run out of room almost immediately. So, come July 11th, you'll see me in the 16gb line.
    07-03-2008 03:52 PM
    I think that 8GB will be okay for me.

But does anyone know if the iPhone still does that thing where after every video, it annoyingly asks you if you want to keep or delete that video? I hated that on my unlocked iPhone I had a long time ago.
    07-03-2008 03:54 PM
    I've got 3.5GB of music, a few hundred MB of photos and a bunch of videos to choose from around 600-700mb each. Since I'm not getting one right away, I imagine the 8GB drive is more like 7.5, I'll wait and see if I can figure out how much the OS takes (unless anyone already knows).
    07-03-2008 10:06 PM
    I've got 3.5GB of music, a few hundred MB of photos and a bunch of videos to choose from around 600-700mb each. Since I'm not getting one right away, I imagine the 8GB drive is more like 7.5, I'll wait and see if I can figure out how much the OS takes (unless anyone already knows).
    The actual space is 7.24 GB total.
    07-03-2008 10:15 PM
    I'm definitely springing for the 16GB version, 8GB just won't be enough for me. My brother has an 8GB original iPhone and he claims that he's got plenty of room but he also has a much different use pattern than I do. I'd be much happier with 32GB....
    07-04-2008 01:03 AM
    I made the mistake of going too small on my 4gb nano and now I'm stuck with it! I realized I wanted the 8gb too late! I won't let myself do that again, so I'd rather have too much space, then not have enough, ya know?
    07-04-2008 01:23 AM
    For me it is. I dont know about you guys. :P
    07-04-2008 03:29 AM
    I think that memory/space requirement should considered keeping in mind that what content you have download music, movies or any business document etc.
    ================================================== ========
    jack
    Used Apple Laptops
    07-04-2008 05:10 AM
    Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.
    You can never have enough space. I learn that with my current iPod. I thought 30GB would be more than enough. But then I added a couple of movies to my songs, and then some audio books, photos, etc. I have over 20 on my iPod so I'll have to figure out how to cram it all into 16GB.

Get the most you can afford. You'll be glad you did.
    07-04-2008 12:22 PM
    You can never have enough space. I learn that with my current iPod. I thought 30GB would be more than enough. But then I added a couple of movies to my songs, and then some audio books, photos, etc. I have over 20 on my iPod so I'll have to figure out how to cram it all into 16GB.

Get the most you can afford. You'll be glad you did.
    That's kind of the outlook I have on it. I just hope that in a couple years when the contract is up, they'll have ssd capacities of over 100GB.

Then perhaps no more need for iPod?
    07-04-2008 12:49 PM
    8GB of space is a huge amount to me, I had a hard time cracking 5GB on my iPod touch. Really, I'm not that much of audiophile and definitely don't need my whole collection roaming with me.

You might be the same way, but I think 8GB is a lot of space.
    07-04-2008 07:23 PM
    I'm still on the fence. I only have maybe 3 gigs of media stored in iTunes as of right now but I might be more prone to rip DVD's and whatnot and put them in my library when I do pick up my iPhone 3G so I'm thinking 16 gigs is the way to go. Not to mention I'm going to go app-crazy if/when I get my device.
    07-04-2008 09:31 PM
    You can never have too much memory; never. My bet is the gaming world is going to go wild, and it will take a good chunk of memory to store that data.
    07-04-2008 09:39 PM
    Im getting the 16gb. With all the apps, videos and music, i bet it will take up 16gb
    07-05-2008 02:21 PM
    Just as a heads up for everyone:

I just converted ONE video to work on the iPhone and it took up 663MB (the movie was only 85 minutes.. most movies are much longer).

So the 8GB iPhone is really = 7.24GB - 5 movies (approx 3.5 GB) = 3.74GB left (which is about 1/2 the memory) for mail, apps, music, pictures, podcasts, email attachments, etc.

Doesn't seem like enough now... plus I keep thinking about the resale value and I am not sure why. Chances are the 3 generation of iPhone will be drastically different and no one will want my iPhone 3g just like no one wanted/wants my 2g iPod Mini.
    07-06-2008 06:52 PM
    If you already have just an ipod you can understand how much space you use and limit yourself and only upload music or movies that you absolutely LOVE and 8G will be amazing use for your phone. Just manually manage it and you can have the right amount of
    memory and movies from itunes will tell you how much gig's they are and I can't imagine Apps will waste that much space.
    07-06-2008 07:10 PM
    I'm getting a 16 gig version, I'll allocate 6 gigs to music, 4 to videos, 3 to apps and 1 to photos
    07-06-2008 07:14 PM
    I'm getting the 16GB, I don't care much for watching movies but I love having episodes of my favorite shows. I don't think the 16GB is enough, I was really hoping Apple release a 32GB version but the 16GB will do for now.
    07-07-2008 06:22 AM
    I think I can live with a 8 GB. And if that won't be enough, I'll keep my music on my iPod only.
    07-07-2008 06:39 AM
    Am I correct in assuming if down the road you can expand your memory for $80?
    07-10-2008 06:22 PM
    where did you get that idea?
    it has never been possible in any prior cases... has it?
    07-10-2008 07:18 PM
    Am I correct in assuming if down the road you can expand your memory for $80?
    Probably not. Apple has never offered an expansion program before, preferring to sell you the next, greatest generation with more memory for a heck of alot more money. $80 is what you'll pay to have the battery replaced. Plus be without your beloved iPhone for at least 3 business days. Unless you'd like a rental iPhone to tide you over, in which case that'll be another $25 or so thank you much. Did I mention I own a big chunk of AAPL in my Roth IRA?

And no, 8GB isn't enough. Heck, 16GB isn't enough. For those who own a house, you'll be very familiar with this axiom. Stuff always expands to fill the space available. That goes double for memory, disc space and expenses rising to meet increased income!
    Last edited by volsfan0911; 07-10-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    07-10-2008 08:41 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD