Is 8GB Enough?

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I was just going to get 8Gb because, oh I already have an iPod for my serious music and video needs, etc. The iPhone is more of a phone to me.
But then I got thinking. I 'm sure I'll put music on it, then want to put videos on it, then a movie or two, and some TV shows and then...."Dirt! Why didn't I get the 16GB, now I'm out of space."

It's just good to have that stuff on your phone so when you end up tied up somewhere waiting for hours you have entertainment.

But that's me. I'd rather buy higher and plan for the worst than regret not doing it.
Plus I'm already paying 4 bones for it. I might as well go all the way.

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
If they had a 32GB for $349/399, I probably would have gone for it. What about you guys?

It'll definitely be 16GB for me. I'm peaking at 7.2GB all the time.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
yea, 16 deffinatly. it is a no brainer. i will be constantly downloading things from the app store, plus i have enough music, videos, and podcasts to fill 3 16gb iphones.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Not really

I feel very limited with my 8Gb. However, I have to admit that the limited space allowed me to decide what music I like best and what pictures I really wanted to carry with me everywhere. I don't have to skip songs as often as I did with my 30Gb iPod, which was not full by any means. In the end, I don't resent having "only" 8Gb, but I wasn't willing to spend more for 16Gb. Not even this time, when it is "cheaper".

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
The way I see it, it's extra 8GB for $100. That seems to be a fair price tag. A 8GB flash SD card will run about $80 today.

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, wondering if I should go 8gb or 16gb.

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?

I am with you on this. I have my 30GB iPod and will continue to use this for the lion's share of my music, podcast and video use, but the email functionality and some apps will chew up some space. I think the worst case scenario is that if I go with the 8GB i will have to be very aware of what Apps I allow on my iPhone in order to conserve space.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
My rule of thumb is that if you are advanced enough to be posting on these forums, then you need the best specs you can get. Shoot, your email archive alone (from push mail) will eat up precious storage. For the average Joe, who hasn't even started a real audio collection, 8gb (and saving $100) may be acceptable, but forum stalkers will need more. In fact, I'd bet many of us will snap up the 32gb version as soon as it is released as well.

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Going for 16gb

I currently have the 8gb, and to be honest, it works ok, but as soon as you try putting videos on it, you run out of room almost immediately. So, come July 11th, you'll see me in the 16gb line.

Nakheel

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I think that 8GB will be okay for me.

But does anyone know if the iPhone still does that thing where after every video, it annoyingly asks you if you want to keep or delete that video? I hated that on my unlocked iPhone I had a long time ago.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I've got 3.5GB of music, a few hundred MB of photos and a bunch of videos to choose from around 600-700mb each. Since I'm not getting one right away, I imagine the 8GB drive is more like 7.5, I'll wait and see if I can figure out how much the OS takes (unless anyone already knows).

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I've got 3.5GB of music, a few hundred MB of photos and a bunch of videos to choose from around 600-700mb each. Since I'm not getting one right away, I imagine the 8GB drive is more like 7.5, I'll wait and see if I can figure out how much the OS takes (unless anyone already knows).

The actual space is 7.24 GB total.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm definitely springing for the 16GB version, 8GB just won't be enough for me. My brother has an 8GB original iPhone and he claims that he's got plenty of room but he also has a much different use pattern than I do. I'd be much happier with 32GB....

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I made the mistake of going too small on my 4gb nano and now I'm stuck with it! I realized I wanted the 8gb too late! I won't let myself do that again, so I'd rather have too much space, then not have enough, ya know?

jackwelsh

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Apple Phones

I think that memory/space requirement should considered keeping in mind that what content you have download music, movies or any business document etc.
==========================================================
jack
Used Apple Laptops

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.

You can never have enough space. I learn that with my current iPod. I thought 30GB would be more than enough. But then I added a couple of movies to my songs, and then some audio books, photos, etc. I have over 20 on my iPod so I'll have to figure out how to cram it all into 16GB.

Get the most you can afford. You'll be glad you did.

mtsfestivus

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
You can never have enough space. I learn that with my current iPod. I thought 30GB would be more than enough. But then I added a couple of movies to my songs, and then some audio books, photos, etc. I have over 20 on my iPod so I'll have to figure out how to cram it all into 16GB.

Get the most you can afford. You'll be glad you did.

That's kind of the outlook I have on it. I just hope that in a couple years when the contract is up, they'll have ssd capacities of over 100GB.

Then perhaps no more need for iPod?

emceechad

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
8GB of space is a huge amount to me, I had a hard time cracking 5GB on my iPod touch. Really, I'm not that much of audiophile and definitely don't need my whole collection roaming with me.

You might be the same way, but I think 8GB is a lot of space.

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm still on the fence. I only have maybe 3 gigs of media stored in iTunes as of right now but I might be more prone to rip DVD's and whatnot and put them in my library when I do pick up my iPhone 3G so I'm thinking 16 gigs is the way to go. Not to mention I'm going to go app-crazy if/when I get my device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77