Drive and Dial

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
As an iPhone "virgin" (I will be getting one in July) I was hoping some of you who have "been around the block a few times" could help me.
I am terrified by the fact that a phone has a virtual keyboard and no voice dial. What way do you find best to dial while driving on the freeway?
Is there speed dial? (Holding down 2 and it will dial Mum?) Or any other trick? I guess I won't be texting and driving after I get my iPhone (I am sure there are many out there breathing a sigh of relief) but I plan on dialing. Even speed dialing cannot be done by touch and that is still a bit frightening.
Any real-life examples are appreciated.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You can set up favorites. You still have to press the phone button to get to them but it is the easiest way to dial. Or you can set up the home button to bring up favorites. (Tap home button twice to bring it up)

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Bad Ash.
As a follow up... you tap the phone key, favorites comes up and what happens from there?
Sorry... super new to the iPhone.. thanks!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
When you tap the phone key you get some choices on the bottom of the screen. They are: Favorites, Recents, Contacts, Keypad, Voicemail. In that order. Or simply set up the home key (double tap) for favorites. Glad to help.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha h22kai,

My Lexus RX350 has the Nav/Bluetooth system factory-installed, so I only had to pair up my iPhone and enter in the names and numbers of those I wish to have on speed dial while driving. I also have the option of voice dialing by either name or number. The only bad thing is that I had to manually enter in all of that information, as there is no way to transfer the address from the iPhone to my vehicle's onboard address book.

That being said, I have dialed the phone manually while driving, although it takes an extreme amount of concentration. Fortunately, I was on a pretty straight section of the highway so no harm done. Actually, one of easier ways to dial, at least to businesses, is to pull up the maps application, then enter the name of the business in the search field and when it pops up, click on the blue arrow and press the telephone number to dial.

Still, the best way is to set up a list of Favorites, on the iPhone, or speed dial numbers, in your car's bluetooth system.

HawaiiMacAddict

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Aloha HawaiiMacAddict,

Unfortunately I am rockin' an old hoopty Honda and no chance at Bluetooth in a car for a few years. (That day will come eventually though!)
I will, however, be immediately setting up my "Favorites" as soon as I get my iPhone.

Although this is slightly off topic, does anyone know the answer to this:
When syncing with Outlook 2002 does the iPhone recognize and use the same categories set up in Outlook (i.e. Family, Friends, School, Business, Lurverrrrss :eek:, etc.)

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
Pulling up maps etc while driving....screech...crash...off to the ER.
Come on people have some common sense. PULL OVER!

Aloha h22kai,
That being said, I have dialed the phone manually while driving, although it takes an extreme amount of concentration. Fortunately, I was on a pretty straight section of the highway so no harm done. Actually, one of easier ways to dial, at least to businesses, is to pull up the maps application, then enter the name of the business in the search field and when it pops up, click on the blue arrow and press the telephone number to dial.

Still, the best way is to set up a list of Favorites, on the iPhone, or speed dial numbers, in your car's bluetooth system.

HawaiiMacAddict

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha patput,

I'm not a complete idiot when I drive - normally, I wait until I'm in the (in)famous Honolulu traffic before I do the map thing, although if you do it in steps, and remember that your #1 focus is actually driving the car, you'll be fine. After all, if you're only going 3-5 miles an hour, how much damage can you do, even with an SUV? :D

As a matter of fact, even though I have a hands-free system, just ask my wife - she'll tell you that there are periods of silence, during which I navigate through whatever situation just presented itself, after which I get back to my conversation. It drives her batty, but I remind her that I first am driving the car, secondly talking to her on the phone. My RX350 cost enough already, not to mention the rising fuel costs - I don't need to pay higher insurance premiums on top of that!

HawaiiMacAddict

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I was just thinking... another alternative to headsets is putting your phone on speaker. The sound quality on the new 3G is supposed to be better so that could definitely help while your driving. And if I'm not mistaken, they have iPhone decks for Bluetooth hook up so that could work too. :)

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
If any of you are in CA, don't forget that on July 1 the new law says you have to be handsfree while driving - so no texting or the such or you going to get a ticket and points against your license.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Two more days... wahhhhhhh. I H A T E headsets. I know.. it must have been what our forefathers felt when they made seat belts mandatory. We all know they are good for you... but WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.:(

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
If any of you are in CA, don't forget that on July 1 the new law says you have to be handsfree while driving - so no texting or the such or you going to get a ticket and points against your license.
The irony is, there's not much statistical support for improved safety using hands free with cell phones. Studies like this one (and dozens like it) indicate the real culprit is communicating on a cell phone while driving, not holding it in your hand. However, by this time I think there's no way a law could be passed in the US prohibiting the use of a cell phone (by any means) in a moving car like they have in these countries. At least I hope not! :eek:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Kupe - Amen. I hope they don't ban cell phones completely while driving but yes, a little common sense goes a long way. I currently use a BT headset while driving and try to keep phone use to "only absolutely necessary" while moving. Lack of voice dialing strikes me as incredibly stupid on Apple's part. At least with every recent phone (my BB 8310 included) I only have to reach up, hit one button on the headset, say the name or number to be dialed, etc. But it does take your concentration off the road to some degree. Inching along in I-95 traffic? (Washington DC for example) then you can talk. Hauling up the Jersey Turnpike at 85 mph in 4 lanes of traffic? Eyes on the road, ears perked for the Valentine 1, feet ready to hit the brakes, hands ready to honk, steer, shift, give middle finger salute to other courteous motorists, etc. :D

Joemhz

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Just one more thing

h22kai...

In most cases before you double click to get to "favorites" to dial a number you have to unlock the phone by sliding your thumb or finger form left to right at the bottom of the screen. Try that California freeway drivers.

A very tricky maneuver at 75 mph....

;)

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I plan to get the cig holder for the 3g if it fits. I have a solstice so it sits right at the perfect level to just punch in the what you need without holding the phone!

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Hope you don't live in CA!!! Tomorrow is the start of the no-talking-on-your-cellphone law! I'd have to be honest and say that I can't wait for it to go into effect; people on cell phones while they're driving scare and frustrate me to say the least.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77