Broadcom Chip

inertialnav

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I no longer have the link, but some time ago (maybe Sept. or Oct. of 2007) there was talk of Broadcom coming through with a 3G chip that was easy on the battery but had a 5 megapixel camera, video capabilities and FM reception and broadcast abilities as well.

That would mean you could listen to the radio on your iPhone or play the iphone on a nearby radio without any extra modules.

Now there is some recent news connecting Broadcom to the iPhone and I'm wondering if all of this will play out.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I no longer have the link, but some time ago (maybe Sept. or Oct. of 2007) there was talk of Broadcom coming through with a 3G chip that was easy on the battery but had a 5 megapixel camera, video capabilities and FM reception and broadcast abilities as well.

That would mean you could listen to the radio on your iPhone or play the iphone on a nearby radio without any extra modules.

Now there is some recent news connecting Broadcom to the iPhone and I'm wondering if all of this will play out.
That would be great if it would have a built in FM transmitter but I doubt that will happen. But who knows. Everything out there is just rumors, and this could be something we would add to that list... simply a rumor, but I would bet it is more wild guessing that anything.

neolite

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Radio management is also a bit of an issue, you can only have so many radio devices in such a small space as the iphone. They may leave that unconnected, which would also open up a big market for accessory makers.

Same deal with the 5 megapixel camera, the chip may support it, but they may not connect it to a sensor that powerful to keep costs down.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
That would be great if it would have a built in FM transmitter but I doubt that will happen. But who knows. Everything out there is just rumors, and this could be something we would add to that list... simply a rumor, but I would bet it is more wild guessing that anything.

But honestly, would you ever even listen to the radio?
It might come in handy for transmitting to your car radio though.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
But honestly, would you ever even listen to the radio?
It might come in handy for transmitting to your car radio though.
Well no, I said I would like it to have an FM transmitter so I could use it in my car and listen to my own music. I might listen to the radion every now and then if I had the option.

anon(4661222)

May 30, 2008
Visit site
FM transmission would be cool, it's how I connect to the car stereo w/ my iPod, it sound good enough.

FM reception wouldn't be used much by me, or most people I would guess, but if they can add it w/o increases the case size, why not. A lot of sports programming can only be gotten over the radio.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2