It's just a bill at the moment, and I have a hard time believing that the wireless carriers won't shoot it down, or that Bush won't veto it. Also, Klobuchar has her offices right across from Garrison Keillor's bookstore. I'll continue following this story in the event that it blossoms.
    09-10-2007 05:16 PM
    That bill makes too much sense, so it will never happen.
    09-11-2007 11:14 AM
    another hacking method for free ringtones. Looks like this one is ridiculously easy and works with pretty much any AAC file, but requires use of the Terminal. It's just one line, though...
    09-12-2007 03:28 PM
    ipod touch features guide (pdf link). mentions new keyboard layouts, all of which are likely to find their way into the iphone -- it costs money to maintain extensive separate codebases, it stands to reason that ipod touch features will find their way into the iphone. ditto, as kent p has opined in our forums, with mirrored icons in the bottom 4 base of the iphone. one of these tuesdays, we're going to see a big update.
    09-13-2007 04:17 PM
    brief interview with mitch davis of orba squara and how his music was used for the iPhone commercials. Orba Squara is apparently a one-man band, though he's putting together a 4 piece for touring. He's done other music projects, but they're apparently secret.
    09-13-2007 05:20 PM
    It's just a bill at the moment, and I have a hard time believing that the wireless carriers won't shoot it down, or that Bush won't veto it. Also, Klobuchar has her offices right across from Garrison Keillor's bookstore. I'll continue following this story in the event that it blossoms.
    That bill makes too much sense, so it will never happen.
    following up: the bill has been supported by two consumer advocacy groups (consumers union and consumer federation of America) and lambasted, perhaps unsurprisingly, by CTIA. story at reuters, via consumerist

from the article:
    It has been criticized by the wireless industry's main trade group, CTIA, as an unnecessary interference in a competitive industry. Consumers can avoid the fees by signing up for prepaid wireless phone plans, the industry argues.
    aaand the money quote:
    Last week, the chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission said the agency should look into possible restrictions on early termination fees charged by wireless carriers and other service providers.
    I'm tempted to turn this one front page, but I don't think that "should look into possible restrictions" is action language. It sounds more like "form an exploratory committee." Still, I wonder if we'll soon see FCC action that preempts the bill... it's a lot easier to fight FCC rules and regulation than it is to fight congressional law.
    09-18-2007 02:39 PM
    wallpaper site. it's an okay site.
    09-20-2007 10:05 AM
    folks griping about the UK plan with O2, and that it doesn't have more for less.
    09-21-2007 10:07 AM
    ask slashdot: what do you want in iphone 2.0?
    • pony
    • unicorn
    • hovercar

If discussion was interesting, I'd post it to the front page. It's unfortunately just a re-hash of stuff already discussed in our forums (3G with no regard to battery life, cut and paste, GPS, native AIM) with the usual slashdot angle (GPL everything, openmoko, native SSH, VOIP). The best idea I see in there is a voice modulator.
    09-21-2007 06:51 PM
    marcel marceau died. he was a famous mime. Someone turned him into iphone wallpaper which is almost story worthy just based on the weirdness. almost being the key word here.
    09-26-2007 10:23 AM
    iphone cost comparison chart. might be useful for anyone who's thinking about moving to a different country because the iPhone phone and data plans might be less expensive there? Or if you're just curious.
    09-26-2007 10:25 AM
    interview with some guys regarding what they like about the iphone. It's a good interview, but I don't think it's front-page worthy either.
    10-01-2007 12:07 PM
    fear not, if your iphone is dead, we'll sell you a new one. I still believe that Fake Steve lost his magic once his forbes shill identity became known, but this article is pretty funny.
    10-01-2007 12:09 PM
    apple/at&t not honoring at&t 90 day unlock policy. I'll probably work this link in to a front page story soon, but not today. Here it is for you in the meantime.
    10-01-2007 12:12 PM
    interview with the CEO of bose who has some interesting things to say. could be good for music-centered people, but he doesn't really get into much, just how he likes classical music, and is excited about acoustic algorithms that you can apply in digital that aren't possible with analog.
    10-01-2007 01:27 PM
    kathy griffin on her relationship with woz on larry king. intimate details in this link that you may or may not prefer to know.
    10-01-2007 01:31 PM
    riaa going to trial in duluth, for the first time in about 20 minutes. not looking good for the riaa just at the moment.
    10-02-2007 09:42 AM
    this post is probably too technical for the front page, but it does a good job of explaining the technical hurdles of preserving the baseband radio for unlocked iphones that were bricked from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. Anyway, here it is. via daring fireball
    10-02-2007 10:09 AM
    gtd wallpapers for the iPhone. If anyone is a GTD (getting things done) fan, they have one with the flowchart.
    10-02-2007 03:12 PM
    10-03-2007 10:00 AM
    lawyer wants to sue apple, posts website for customers. If you're in california, this may be of use to you.
    10-03-2007 10:08 AM
    Bungie is leaving Microsoft. Bungie is probably worn out from being a Xbox-only Halo-only game developer; they used to be a very well-rounded mac game developer before they were bought out by Microsoft to bring a respected game company to the XBox fold, back when it was doing poorly. I'd love to do a front page story for this, since this is as good a time as any to come back and develop games for the mac, maybe even iPod / iPhone, but it's all still speculative at this point.

the last nail in the coffin is that it's a John Dvorak story, which means that it's a bit of a troll story. I gotta admit, he's effective at getting eyeballs.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&siteid=rss
    10-08-2007 11:01 AM
    rumors of 16gb iphone are false. I didn't think the rumors were credible, so I didn't post it. I'm ignoring this because Apple tends to let products sit "on top" of their product structure for 9 months or a year before they get replaced. If they replaced the hardware as fast as the blogosphere demanded, apple couldn't earn past what they spent on R&D. the improvements will come via software for now.
    10-15-2007 12:33 PM
    rumors of 16gb iphone are false. I didn't think the rumors were credible, so I didn't post it. I'm ignoring this because Apple tends to let products sit "on top" of their product structure for 9 months or a year before they get replaced. If they replaced the hardware as fast as the blogosphere demanded, apple couldn't earn past what they spent on R&D. the improvements will come via software for now.
    Also, the pictures are pretty bad fakes!
    10-15-2007 05:49 PM
    Also, the pictures are pretty bad fakes!
    Heh. Yes, there was that too. Is it wrong to get a kick out of reading sites that were taken in by the hoax? :evil:

. youtube video, mocking the new batch of commercials. he unlocked and bricked his iphone by updating. call me merciless, but I can't pity him. it's not like there wasn't a metric ton of news out there that said "don't apply the update if you've unlocked." also, there are plenty of ways to unbrick said iphone. downgrade to 1.0.2, extensive command-line method to upload old radio software, apply ipsf hack, etc. bonus points for gratuitous canadian reference to hockey, though.
    10-16-2007 01:59 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD