Rejected Story Links

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
It's just a bill at the moment, and I have a hard time believing that the wireless carriers won't shoot it down, or that Bush won't veto it. Also, Klobuchar has her offices right across from Garrison Keillor's bookstore. I'll continue following this story in the event that it blossoms.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
ipod touch features guide (pdf link). mentions new keyboard layouts, all of which are likely to find their way into the iphone -- it costs money to maintain extensive separate codebases, it stands to reason that ipod touch features will find their way into the iphone. ditto, as kent p has opined in our forums, with mirrored icons in the bottom 4 base of the iphone. one of these tuesdays, we're going to see a big update.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
It's just a bill at the moment, and I have a hard time believing that the wireless carriers won't shoot it down, or that Bush won't veto it. Also, Klobuchar has her offices right across from Garrison Keillor's bookstore. I'll continue following this story in the event that it blossoms.

That bill makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

following up: the bill has been supported by two consumer advocacy groups (consumers union and consumer federation of America) and lambasted, perhaps unsurprisingly, by CTIA. story at reuters, via consumerist

from the article:
It has been criticized by the wireless industry's main trade group, CTIA, as an unnecessary interference in a competitive industry. Consumers can avoid the fees by signing up for prepaid wireless phone plans, the industry argues.

aaand the money quote:
Last week, the chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission said the agency should look into possible restrictions on early termination fees charged by wireless carriers and other service providers.

I'm tempted to turn this one front page, but I don't think that "should look into possible restrictions" is action language. It sounds more like "form an exploratory committee." Still, I wonder if we'll soon see FCC action that preempts the bill... it's a lot easier to fight FCC rules and regulation than it is to fight congressional law.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
ask slashdot: what do you want in iphone 2.0?
  • pony
  • unicorn
  • hovercar

If discussion was interesting, I'd post it to the front page. It's unfortunately just a re-hash of stuff already discussed in our forums (3G with no regard to battery life, cut and paste, GPS, native AIM) with the usual slashdot angle (GPL everything, openmoko, native SSH, VOIP). The best idea I see in there is a voice modulator.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77