10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Unless they start requiring signed apps (for technical reasons, I doubt it), people probably won't have to give up their 3-p apps. Yeah, we have to keep re-jailbreaking/installing when we do firmware updates, but I'm sure some enterprising person will come along with a way to automate that, too. (e.g.: seems to me ibrikr and like ilk could keep a hash of what was modified on a particular phone, detect that the phone is now missing all that, and just go ahead and reinstall it. can even be done as part of the update firmware process, since you need the firmware file to install 3p apps, and apple lets you download it (as opposed to install it) when it detects a new firmware).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
But if Apple breaks jailbreak (and because there are no official 3rd party software they can do what they want) the whole scheme goes up in smoke.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
It'll be tough to break jailbreak. No matter what, the phone needs to communicate over a serial link to the PC. Additionally, firmware has to be installed via a PC, so it will exist on the PC's disk. As long as that's the case, they can make it more difficult, but they can't entirely prevent it. No device manufacturer has had much luck holding off the hackers for long, particularly when the hackers were motivated.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It'll be tough to break jailbreak. No matter what, the phone needs to communicate over a serial link to the PC. Additionally, firmware has to be installed via a PC, so it will exist on the PC's disk. As long as that's the case, they can make it more difficult, but they can't entirely prevent it. No device manufacturer has had much luck holding off the hackers for long, particularly when the hackers were motivated.

Its may be the PSP all over again. Apple might as well give up (and may have already).

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I don't think it was ever their intention to lock out native apps entirely (at least not forever) - I suspect they did want a royalty situation of some sort. They may be trying to give their preferred partners a head start. Or they may be waiting for leopard, since many of the obvious omissions (finder, ichat) are being so radically revised for leopard and the phone definitely does share a lot of code with the desktop libraries, and they wanted to lock down the desktop SDK first. Or they may just be dribbling things out a bit at a time to grab new waves of buyers.

If they did think they could stop unauthorized 3p from creating apps, that's pretty naive; didn't work for ipod. (There's less of it on ipod only because the hardware and interface is less capable, and because the *nix OS on the iphone gives hackers a lot more to work with). As you mention, PSP is another great example.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
No "enable disk" mode for iPod features after phone is activated? But drag and drop works before the phone is activated? It actually LOSES a function? Did I miss something? :confused:

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
No "enable disk" mode for iPod features after phone is activated? But drag and drop works before the phone is activated? It actually LOSES a function? Did I miss something? :confused:

I've never tried it (i remember reading that there is some software you can download - maybe only for mac? - to enable disk mode). Whenever I plug in my iphone windows asks me if I want to open an explorer window to look at the pictures. Think it sees it as a digital camera. Never tried to see what would happen if I tried to browse it in explorer.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I thought software wasn't allowed. Is it from Apple?

Anyway that was another minor annoyance IMO, but not that big of a deal. It actually doesn't screw up the order of playlist songs during sync, even though it looks like it will.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Doesn't handle bass heavy tracks as well as hoped. Likes to distort the sound, but this never happens on other players. Even the Nano was better. The equalizer Jazz setting helps. But it's a bit disappointing. Experimentation with another set of headphones is in order. The included ones are mediocre and this other set is better, but it seems to be the player itself with the problem handling bass.

A set of Shures may solve the problem.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I don't detect any noticeable difference between iphone and my "ipod photo" (remember those?) with my shures and apple lossless encoding. Haven't done a serious comparison with aac yet.

I suspect the headphones are your problem.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
diva

Diva,

If you want the best earphones, esp. for low, get some FutureSonic Atrios. Theese are the best, hands down. (and I've tried nearly all of them.)

IMHO, Shures are overpriced and underperforming, as well as uncomfortable after a while.

The best earphones you never heard of.

They are also excellent for comparing portable music players to see which is the best as far as playback.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Doesn't handle bass heavy tracks as well as hoped. Likes to distort the sound, but this never happens on other players. Even the Nano was better. The equalizer Jazz setting helps. But it's a bit disappointing. Experimentation with another set of headphones is in order. The included ones are mediocre and this other set is better, but it seems to be the player itself with the problem handling bass.

A set of Shures may solve the problem.

If you go Shure, stay AWAY from any of their "2" series. In all their lines, this represents the bottom model, and is not a good value for the money. Any of the "3" series represents a much better value, but there are far better choices out there in the same range (Etymotic, UltimateEars, etc). Specifically, you will notice (with the "2" series) a very muddy and undefined bass characteristic. There's lots of it, but no quality. If you really want to go insane, check out head-fi.org. There's more info on all things headphone-y and portable (and not so portable) than you would ever want to know over there...

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
any of you try ultimate ears? i'm thinking of switching to the super.fi 5 pros or triple.fi 10 pros. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of the triple.fi's.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
any of you try ultimate ears? i'm thinking of switching to the super.fi 5 pros or triple.fi 10 pros. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of the triple.fi's.

my colleague owns a "middle of the range" pair and i think their design/fit/finish surpasses those of my sure e2's (which i personally like because of the ear piece design). i also own a pair of sure e3c's which to me offer a beautiful sound but don't fit my ear as well as my e2's. bottom line, ultimate ears sound great and look to be of better quality than either of my sure headphones.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
I don't think they want a royalty situation. Development on OSX has been free throughout.

The iPhone runs Darwin v9, my mac with 10.4 runs Darwin 8.10. This probably means that the development kit (XCode) for the iPhone is tied to Leopard, the upcoming OSX release.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Steve Jobs would be happy to have UNIX on the iPhone; he founded NeXT, a UNIX computer company, after he was forced out of Apple.

Personally, I don't think it was ever their intention to lock out native apps entirely (at least not forever) - I suspect they did want a royalty situation of some sort. They may be trying to give their preferred partners a head start. Or they may be waiting for leopard, since many of the obvious omissions (finder, ichat) are being so radically revised for leopard and the phone definitely does share a lot of code with the desktop libraries, and they wanted to lock down the desktop SDK first. Or they may just be dribbling things out a bit at a time to grab new waves of buyers.

If they did think they could stop unauthorized 3p from creating apps, that's pretty naive; didn't work for ipod. (There's less of it on ipod only because the hardware and interface is less capable, and because the *nix OS on the iphone gives hackers a lot more to work with). As you mention, PSP is another great example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2