10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
As a Windows user, I do not know how OS X apps fail. I know that Windows apps fail to the "blue screen of death," and require a re-boot (on my sytem that takes minutes, not seconds or tens of seconds). I know that Treo (POS) apps fail, a half dozen times a day, to a reset or a hard stop that requires a reset, tens of seconds.

The only iPhone app that I have had "fail" is Safari. It does not require a reset or a reboot, only a restart of Safari, a second or two. The choice seems clear to me. What am I missing?

Windows XP rarely gets the BSOD. If you do, my experience is that you generally have hardware issues. When an app crashes, it is the only thing that crashes. You don't get the BSOD. You get a message asking if you want to send the info to Microsoft. Answer No and the app simply closes. As far as browsers go, I've had this happen with IE, Firefox, Safari, and Netscape. It rarely happens though.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Well, I don't know about nickels and dimes, although I am sure Apple goes for it where they can.

I think there are such things as design flaw (recessed plug) or misjudging market (desire for BT stereo profile).

I'm curious what the update cycle will be with the iPhone (once a month, quarter, or year).

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Pure speculation at this point.
It is, but i'd even give odds on that bet. I'll put a gaurentee that Apple releases more of their own apps. I'm sure we see 3rd party apps as well.

And that supposedly makes it ok? It just proves how money-grubbing they are and how much they want to nickel and dime you all to death.
I never said it was OK, but they aren't nickel and diming anyone. They dont want to release this capability because then iPhone owners will just go out and buy any old stereo BT headset. Apple waits and opens up this ability and releases their own headset at the same time and many people will buy the Apple branded one. Is this the best thing for consumers? Probably not. Is it a smart business move? Absolutely. Is there a huge outcry for this capability? No.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The more Apple adds to the iPhone, the more complex it will get. Eventually, where will be the ease-of-use advantage?

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
You leave this thread for a few days...

Those iPhone crashes must be annoying. I hope it does not damage Apple's reputation.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1198441

Surur

and you don't miss a thing. Surur still posting threads from other boards and stating since one or fifty people say it it must be a wide spread problem.

I have a feeling in 5 months this tread will still be going strong with post from Surur copying and pasting some lonely persons gripe that the iPHONE doesn't have MMS and they really really wish it did.

As far as I know ALL OS systems crash programs and anyone who would expect differently is a little out there.

Now living with a Palm Treo 700P and its 5 crashes and resets or freezes a day is bad!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
and you don't miss a thing. Surur still posting threads from other boards and stating since one or fifty people say it it must be a wide spread problem.

I have a feeling in 5 months this tread will still be going strong with post from Surur copying and pasting some lonely persons gripe that the iPHONE doesn't have MMS and they really really wish it did.

As far as I know ALL OS systems crash programs and anyone who would expect differently is a little out there.

Now living with a Palm Treo 700P and its 5 crashes and resets or freezes a day is bad!

Still claiming crashing is an isolated problem I see.

Surur

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site

And doing exactly the same thing he's criticizing Surur for. The 5 crashes and resets a day surely must happen to every 700p user then by your argument. Why does mine only reset 1-2 times a week then? (I'm not saying that even that is acceptable, but you're still grossly exaggerating in the same breath you fault someone else for exaggeration).

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I never said it was OK, but they aren't nickel and diming anyone. They dont want to release this capability because then iPhone owners will just go out and buy any old stereo BT headset. Apple waits and opens up this ability and releases their own headset at the same time and many people will buy the Apple branded one. Is this the best thing for consumers? Probably not. Is it a smart business move? Absolutely. Is there a huge outcry for this capability? No.

How is that not nickle-and-diming? Isn't that the definition of the term?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
No CountChocula Palm acknowledged the issues

And doing exactly the same thing he's criticizing Surur for. The 5 crashes and resets a day surely must happen to every 700p user then by your argument. Why does mine only reset 1-2 times a week then? (I'm not saying that even that is acceptable, but you're still grossly exaggerating in the same breath you fault someone else's exaggeration).

Palm has acknowledged the many issues faced by 700P owners over and over again.

I take it you never owned a 700P or read any of the Palm release notes or the TreoCentral forums on the 700P.

Nice try though!

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
This should make Surur and Malatesta happy.

I'm noticing an alarming occurring problem with the iPhone. On average, I think I'm missing 5 calls a day because they go straight to voicemail. If the caller decides not to leave a message, I will have no idea that they even called.

I understand that using the EDGE network that you cannot do voice and data at the same time, but shouldn't voice take precedence? I never missed a call on my blackberry.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

I'm noticing an alarming occurring problem with the iPhone. On average, I think I'm missing 5 calls a day because they go straight to voicemail. If the caller decides not to leave a message, I will have no idea that they even called.

I understand that using the EDGE network that you cannot do voice and data at the same time, but shouldn't voice take precedence? I never missed a call on my blackberry.

There are of course long threads about this on the various iPhone sites. I did not post them because it seemed so boring, but to some people it seems to be a deal breaker.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
There are of course long threads about this on the various iPhone sites. I did not post them because it seemed so boring, but to some people it seems to be a deal breaker.

Surur

Just curious Surur, what phone do you use?

My perfect device would be a device as thin as the iphone, and with the same screen and resolution. It would need to be as reliable as a phone and email device as my old blackberry, and support 3rd party apps like windows mobile.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
This is a GSM issue more than an iPhone one. If you are "actively" receiving or sending data, a call will go to voicemail no matter what. This is the same for any GSM device. If you have looking a website but not actively send or receiving data then a call will come through.

One thing probably different than your blackberry is that it receives less data since it's compressed by the server and you can't really get full websites to load on it's browser. If you are using Safari, you are downloading more data and taking more time to do it, thereby increasing the chance of missing a call. The only real solution for this is UMTS/HSDPA (or EVDO-A) which allow simultaneous voice and data.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
This is a GSM issue more than an iPhone one. If you are "actively" receiving or sending data, a call will go to voicemail no matter what. This is the same for any GSM device. If you have looking a website but not actively send or receiving data then a call will come through.

One thing probably different than your blackberry is that it receives less data since it's compressed by the server and you can't really get full websites to load on it's browser. If you are using Safari, you are downloading more data and taking more time to do it, thereby increasing the chance of missing a call. The only real solution for this is UMTS/HSDPA (or EVDO-A) which allow simultaneous voice and data.

Couple of problems with this theory though, I do go to "real" websites on my blackberry, and some of them take along time to load. As far as I know, they are not "compressed by the server".

Also, I sometimes miss calls on my iPhone when I'm not browsing.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I have missed a few calls like this...

Couple of problems with this theory though, I do go to "real" websites on my blackberry, and some of them take along time to load. As far as I know, they are not "compressed by the server".

I have miss calls on my iPhone when I'm not browsing.

...and on my Treo when my email was downloading at the specified time.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Just curious Surur, what phone do you use?

My perfect device would be a device as thin as the iphone, and with the same screen and resolution. It would need to be as reliable as a phone and email device as my old blackberry, and support 3rd party apps like windows mobile.

I am currently actively using two devices, the HTC Touch and the HTC Universal. The touch is smaller than the iPhone, and has a QVGA screen. The HTC Universal is much larger, but has a 3.6 inch VGA screen and UMTS, and one of the best mobile keyboards.

Come October I am buying the HTC Omni, a large but thin device with a 4 inch 800x480 screen, HSDPA and a large roomy keyboard and GPS. As you can see, I dont mind giving up ease of use (or even size) for features. Apple obviously does not develop for me.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

to be clear, if the caller leaves a voicemail then you will have a voicemail indication (both on the phone icon and in the phone/voicemail application, regardless whether browsing or not.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i am surprised you carry a device that doesn't offer 3G (HTC Touch). the Universal offers tons of features and it suggests such given its large size.

i'm happy they work for you.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i am surprised you carry a device that doesn't offer 3G (HTC Touch). the Universal offers tons of features and it suggests such given its large size.

i'm happy they work for you.

I use my Universal for note taking and tethering, and SlingBox when I am going to be somewhere boring (e.g. this weekend when I was in ER for 3 hours). Otherwise it remains in my laptop bag. I carry my Touch all the time, as its so small, and use it for music, podcasts, e-mail and PIM. All my devices sync to my hosted exchange, so it doesn't matter which device I use, they are all up to date.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77