Apple today announced that iPhone will deliver significantly longer battery life when it ships on June 29 than was originally estimated when iPhone was unveiled in January. iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.* In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hoursmore than 10 daysof standby time. Apple also announced that the entire top surface of iPhone, including its stunning 3.5-inch display, has been upgraded from plastic to optical-quality glass to achieve a superior level of scratch resistance and optical clarity.
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/18iphone.html
    06-18-2007 09:55 AM
    That battery life sound much better and usable. How could they be that far off on their early estimations? Battery life appears to be double what they thought it would be.
    06-18-2007 09:58 AM
    Battery life appears to be double what they thought it would be.
    Not quite. Take a look at the table at the end of the press release. 60% increase in talk time, lower increases in other functions.
    06-18-2007 10:01 AM
    As to why, your guess is as good as mine. Better CPU throttling?
    06-18-2007 10:06 AM
    Probably slower CPU, or they are switching off wifi by default, or they will suddenly announce the Iphone is double the thickness :evil:

Surur
    06-18-2007 10:16 AM
    So much for not comparing themselves to smartphones.

I am going to have fun updating this chart to reflect all the facts they conveniently omit when I get home.

And since when did the Nokia N95 not have WIFI?

Surur
    06-18-2007 10:23 AM
    Probably slower CPU, or they are switching off wifi by default, or they will suddenly announce the Iphone is double the thickness :evil:
    A lot better than 40 mins though isn't it
    06-18-2007 10:23 AM
    And since when did the Nokia N95 not have WIFI?
    Yeah, that's plain wrong.
    06-18-2007 10:34 AM
    Ha, they rapidly fixed it. Good thing I saved a copy off-line.

Surur
    06-18-2007 10:40 AM
    Good thing I saved a copy off-line.

Surur
    Why? To prove that Apple is just as fallible as every other human-run corp?
    06-18-2007 10:44 AM
    Why? To prove that Apple is just as fallible as every other human-run corp?
    Please! Their whole comparison chart is a lie, as it only mentions issues beneficial to them. If they knew the Nokia N95 had wifi they would probably not even have had it on the chart. Where's the T-Mobile Dash for example? They picked and chose, and they picked wrong with the N95.

They are not fallible, they are deceptive.

Surur
    06-18-2007 10:51 AM
    Please! Their whole comparison chart is a lie, as it only mentions issues beneficial to them. If they knew the Nokia N95 had wifi they would probably not even have had it on the chart. Where's the T-Mobile Dash for example? They picked and chose, and they picked wrong with the N95.

They are not fallible, they are deceptive.

Surur
    Show me any comparative marketing piece produced by any corporation, government, etc that isn't biased.

If that press release had been allowed to remain live on the web through their launch, I'd be inclined to agree that at least negligence or at worst, manipulation was motivation. That press release had just gone live today. They instantly corrected it. How more responsibly could they have handled this circumstance?
    06-18-2007 11:02 AM
    You would have had a point, had Apple not been systemically deceptive in their marketing of the IPhone. They made all kinds of bizarre comparisons to suite them, while hiding the advantages of the other devices.

Eg. in the original keynote they spoke of how difficult it is to search your contacts, and how you had to re-enter all your contacts each time you switched phones, and how most people dial from their recently called list etc, and he would do his little scrolling thing. On the WM smartphones you just start dialing some-one's name form the today screen - much faster and in fact easier, and of course contacts sync just fine.

He likes comparing his device with dumb phones when it suites him, and smartphones when it doest (e.g. his battery life claims). The man is a charlatan.

Surur
    06-18-2007 11:09 AM
    The better battery life is awesome, but think I'd prefer a plastic surface on a phone.
    06-18-2007 11:17 AM
    The man is a charlatan.

Surur
    Again, show me a successful marketing genius or government, etc which is not. Sometimes they can back their claims with substance, sometimes not. Aren't there bigger fish to fry than Jobs?
    06-18-2007 11:20 AM
    Again, show me a successful marketing genius or government, etc which is not. Sometimes they can back their claims with substance, sometimes not. Aren't there bigger fish to fry than Jobs?
    I don't think so. He is the pinnacle of the art. Looking at the Iphone frenzy, can you think of anyone better (or worse) than him?

Surur
    06-18-2007 11:30 AM
    The better battery life is awesome.
    Claimed battery life is awesome. I'd like to see real world experiences. That said, it does look very promising. My experiences with Apple battery life claims (MacBook, iPod) have been that they're not too far wide of the mark.
    06-18-2007 11:32 AM
    I don't think so. He is the pinnacle of the art. Looking at the Iphone frenzy

Surur
    If the device itself wasn't what it is, as well as not having the admitted marketing packaging trappings, there would not be any 'frenzy'. Offing Jobs would not change Apple's degree of success/failure with iPhone. It still comes down to the device and its marketing.

can you think of anyone better (or worse) than him?
    Yes, but that gets us very off-topic and into corporate malfeasance at the expense of shareholders and/or employees.
    06-18-2007 11:39 AM
    If the device itself wasn't what it is, as well as not having the admitted marketing packaging trappings, there would not be any 'frenzy'. Offing Jobs would not change Apple's degree of success/failure with iPhone. It still comes down to the device and its marketing.
    The Iphone in many ways fail for what they have been selling it as. I wont go into the argument again, but it does not live up to the hype, and the more we find out the less it does.

Yes, but that gets us very off-topic and into corporate malfeasance at the expense of shareholders and/or employees.
    Enron wasn't trying to sell me anything.

Surur
    06-18-2007 11:46 AM
    Claimed battery life is awesome. I'd like to see real world experiences. That said, it does look very promising. My experiences with Apple battery life claims (MacBook, iPod) have been that they're not too far wide of the mark.
    That's encouraging, since WM devices routinely seem to only give ~60-70% of their battery ratings. Hell, if I could get real-world 6 hours of continuous talk time [not that I ever hold conversations that long], while remaining under 20mm thickness, any advanced smartphone would get a look from me. The aftermarket companies won't like it a damn bit, but really, who cares besides them? Maybe they can focus their attention on improving the QA/QC by redistributing R&D budgets toward that cause.
    06-18-2007 11:49 AM
    That's encouraging, since WM devices routinely seem to only give ~60-70% of their battery ratings. Hell, if I could get real-world 6 hours of continuous talk time [not that I ever hold conversations that long], while remaining under 20mm thickness, any advanced smartphone would get a look from me. The aftermarket companies won't like it a damn bit, but really, who cares besides them? Maybe they can focus their attention on improving the QA/QC by redistributing R&D budgets toward that cause.
    These people claim the Dash, in real life testing, gave them over 8 hours talk time.

To test how long a phones battery lasts while making a call we use Skype to call the phone and play an audio book over the connection to simulate a conversation. We time how long the phone lasts from the beginning of the call until the either the battery dies or the phone hangs up due to a low battery. The T-Mobile Dash posted an impressive 8 hour and 20 minutes of call time in our test. This is significantly longer than T-Mobiles stated talk time of 5 hours. The Dash blows the Motorola Q (3 hours 45 minutes) out of the water, this despite the fact that the Q has a larger capacity battery (1130 mAh) than the Dash (960 mAh). The Dash also did significantly better than the Blackberry 8703es 5 hour and 23 minute time. This is a big factor in the Dash's favor: although your battery life will vary (with things like the network signal strength having a significant impact on battery life), but HTC are obviously doing soemthing right to extend the battery life.
    http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/...ttery-Life.htm

Surur
    06-18-2007 11:56 AM
    Enron wasn't trying to sell me anything.

Surur
    This wasn't my particular target, and it's almost forgotten due to more (guess what) marketing efforts, but at least you have the gist.
    06-18-2007 12:04 PM
    These people claim the Dash, in real life testing, gave them over 8 hours talk time.
    That's impressive, unlike music playback which is poor:

To test music playback we set the device to play a looped album at maximum volume with all settings at their default. We time how long it takes for the phone to run out of battery power. The T-Mobile Dash lasted 7 hours and 23 minutes in our music playback test. This is not a impressive a score as the Dash’s talk time test, but is still good. The Dash will give you about the same battery life when playing music as phones like the Treo 700p (8 hours 8 minutes) or the LG Chocolate (7 hours 37 minutes). It again did much better than the Motorola Q, which was only able to manage 5 hours and 25 minutes.
    Why do all of these phones have such dreadful audio playback times? A major plus for the iPhone (if Apple's numbers are reasonably accurate) is that you can listen to fair bit of music before you need to start worrying about the effect on the battery.
    06-18-2007 12:19 PM

Surur
    While the Dash does a good job at emulating a Blackberry's form factor, it still isn't exactly advanced in its OS, connectivity [Edge-only], video calling, etc. If it has sold well enough in its initial form, it may get a version-2 which puts it a bit more on the bleeding edge. Using it in the US in an unlocked form doesn't help either since TMo piggybacks onto at&t/Cingular where they lack their own towers. Appreciate the thought though.
    06-18-2007 12:20 PM
    Oh, NOOOO! archie is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The iPhone can't possibly have better battery life than initially posted.
    Apple doesn't have the ability archie thinks it does to design software to provide superior battery life.
    blah, blah, blah

Eat it!

You know, its funny how I seem crazy, uninformed, naive or stupid until time passes and it reveals that I am correct; don't you think?

Yet it happens continuosly and no one is willing to believe that I know what I am talking about.
    06-18-2007 12:51 PM
328 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD