HTC's response to the Iphone - not too bad

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thus far I much prefer Apple and LG's efforts as these are thoroughly integrated, bottom-to-top approaches rather than HTC's bolt-on, hybrid solution, but credit to HTC for making the progress they have. Perhaps this will give Microsoft a (bit more of?) a push in this direction (if they're not already involved).

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
The problem I have is that it's a bolt-on rather than an end-to-end solution and you are still going to be reaching for that stylus once you get to the windows mobile 6 stuff underneath.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
It looks good, but I'm still not sold on it. All the video's I've seen, no one is trying to type anything. Is it the same MS keyboard? I hope not, that thing has STYLUS written all over it

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It looks good, but I'm still not sold on it. All the video's I've seen, no one is trying to type anything. Is it the same MS keyboard? I hope not, that thing has STYLUS written all over it

Yep, you fall all the way back to stylus input. Some third party software might help, e.g. SPB fullscreen keyboard, but thats obviously not ideal.

This device is not for power users. They will be selling it on the high street in phone stores to normal people who have no idea what 3G is, and only want a cool looking phone. Its for information retrieval and multimedia, not data input.

I would not think its suitable for any of us, but on a coolness scale I would definitely give it a 7/10. There is a good chance the interface will come to most of HTC's smartphones, even the ones with full keyboards. Its unlikely they will try and fundamentally alter the underlying OS, as this will impact third party software compatibility.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This device is not for power users. They will be selling it on the high street in phone stores to normal people who have no idea what 3G is, and only want a cool looking phone. Its for information retrieval and multimedia, not data input.
I sort of agree except that most phone users need to input data, if only to write text messages. One point deduction on the cool scale for having to use a stylus for SMS?

EDIT. Actually, forget that. I guess you could use T9 on the vitual 12-key keypad for SMS. Not great, but add the point back on :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I can definitely see them using this screen type on their smartphone devices (WM Standard) as an alternative to the JOGGR and scroll wheel etc.

Surur

Iceman6

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
The average consumer will see this phone as a cheap knock-off, not a competitive phone. It has the usual 2.8" QVGA screen, which means fewer pixels to form the icons for your fat fingers. It is a tri-band phone designed for Europe and Asia. It only has a 200 MHz CPU fer chryssakes. This is a Jam with a different Today screen and case.

As for usability, the multitouch "UI" is not integrated with WM6. This means you'll be pulling out your stylus in order to use the tiny WM6 pop-up keyboard. I predict that the people who buy this thing will end up throwing it against the wall.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Yep, you fall all the way back to stylus input. Some third party software might help, e.g. SPB fullscreen keyboard, but thats obviously not ideal.

So you're saying I'd need to get a Foleo too?

:evil: :D DARFC!

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes Archie, no-one said this is an IPhone, just HTC's response to the IPhone. Of course it will have numerous advantageous over the IPhone, one of them being that it will be subsidized by the carriers, and probably be free on a contract.
Do you really expect me to believe the carrier will willingly hand over a $610 (+tax) phone to all of its customers free of charge?

OK... whatever.

BTW, unlike the Iphone commercials these vids actually demonstrate one-handed usage.
Oh, then it must not be possible with the iPhone since they didn't show it on the commercial. Your probably right, I forgot about that large protrusion on the iPhone that doesn't allow for anybody's thumb to move around the screen like you can with HTC's Touch... or whatever it's called.

As usual you made many mistakes in your post. You are often so wrong, wrong, wrong. Tell me if you want me to correct you point by point.

Surur
Ummm... OK, I'll bite. Correct me.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Ive been listening to some interviews on the device, and it appears they have put in a lot more thought than first appears. Apparently when touched by finger the OK area is enlarged, so even an inaccurate stab with a finger will close an app.
That can't be good. Unless your a fanboy.:evil:

No evidence of THAT though is there!? :rolleyes:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Ummm... OK, I'll bite. Correct me.

Famous last words.

$610 ? It costs too much!

Do you really expect me to believe the carrier will willingly hand over a $610 (+tax) phone to all of its customers free of charge?

OK... whatever.

Orange sells the HTC Vox as the SPV E650 for free on a normal contract, The same phone at Expansys is ?315, thats $625. Orange is a launch partner for the HTC Touch.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/orange_spv_e650/detail/pay_monthly
http://www.expansys.com/htc-s710-uk-qwerty-145682/

The battery is not user-replaceable!
batteryoff14c2e066eoh9.jpg

Why would you think this? Only Apple in recent times has been so stupid.

You can't use it with only one hand!

Well, all the videos demonstrate you are patently wrong. In addition, most people say it actually works better with one hand than two, being designed to be used with a swipe of the thumb.

the iPhone's lower price tag

You only need to pay those prices if you want it unlocked. It should be free or close to free on contract. Does the IPhone even have that option without paying an extra $1000 service fees?

the iPhone's ability to use AT&T's "Fine EDGE" for data

This is hilarious :D You do know Fine EDGE is about back-end changes, and all EDGE devices, including this device, will benefit.

the iPhone's thinner body.

The Touch is of smaller volume than the IPhone, which makes the whole device accessible to only one hand. The IPhone is clearly a two-handed device.

Archie, Archie, Archie... So wrong so often. I am nearly embarrassed for you...

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Since you screwed it up by misquoting me and leaving out points, I have taken the initiative to quote myself.

$610 ? It costs too much!
You can get an iPhone for $499

Your link is to a different phone. I did a search on Expansys and it didn't return anything. Good try though. You have done that twice in the past in hopes that somebody would blindly believe you I guess.

Camera only has 2 megapickels!
I just checked again, still 2 megapickels

The battery is not user-replaceable!
If you are fine with disassembling your phone to switch batteries while driving down the road, that's fine with me. Most would consider "user-replaceable" an easily swappable battery. Besides, I appreciate Apple's decision to forego the user-replacable option in favor of engineering a larger capacity battery instead.

It is only GPRS/EDGE!
Still only GPRS/EDGE, even in Europe.

It doesn't have a keyboard with physical buttons!
Apple's keyboard is way better.

The screen is too small!
Apples screen is physically larger and also has twice the number of pixels

Only has 5 hours of talk time!
How much talk time does the Touch REALLY have. I suspect the iPhone wins here too.

You can't use it with only one hand! :rolleyes:
I was being facetious. You insistently say that you CANNOT use the iPhone with one hand but other phones like this HTC Touch CAN be used with one hand. So what gives? Where is the difference? Don't be a hypocrite. You have to explain to me why it is not possible with the iPhone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Since you screwed it up by misquoting me and leaving out points, I have taken the initiative to quote myself.

You can get an iPhone for $1700.

Your link is to a different phone. I did a search on Expansys and it didn't return anything. Good try though. You have done that twice in the past in hopes that somebody would blindly believe you I guess.

Archie, I know you can be a bit slow, so I shall try and explain again.

The phone is not out on the carriers yet - understand?

Orange sells other HTC products - understand?

They sell smartphones of equivalent cost for free - understand?

This means they will also sell the HTC Touch for free also - understand?

Tell me if there is any step you can not follow, and I will try and break it down again.

Re your other points - I did not say everything you said is wrong, only that you made many many mistakes, which I corrected. Its only in 1 in 3 of your posts that you dont say a single thing which is right. Keep up the good work.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I can definitely see them using this screen type on their smartphone devices (WM Standard) as an alternative to the JOGGR and scroll wheel etc.
But that would require the next gen OS wouldn't it? Hopefully Microsoft are already on the case and will provide an fully integrated and complete solution with the next release, and this partial solution on the HTC device won't be needed anymore.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
But that would require the next gen OS wouldn't it? Hopefully Microsoft are already on the case and will provide an fully integrated and complete solution with the next release, and this partial solution on the HTC device won't be needed anymore.

I don't believe necessarily so, as long as the actions are confined to scrolling. It would integrate in the same way as a scroll wheel, which should not need new code.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I don't believe necessarily so, as long as the actions are confined to scrolling. It would integrate in the same way as a scroll wheel, which should not need new code.
Ah, I see your point now, although to be honest I have doubts that it would be cost effective to add a touchscreen just for scrolling.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2