We'll probably know a lot more about the Iphone than the N95, as Nokia AFAIK does not release individual device sales numbers.
    That's true I think although they do break them down into N and E series:

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1119953

I personally do not like the design of the N95, and cant see how the dual slider makes it any more consumer friendly than not.
    As I've said, I wouldn't want one myself, but some of the I things I think will appeal are:

• Big screen (only the second N series slider without a numeric keypad on the front). Good for taking and looking at pictures, recording and watching video, etc
    • High-res camera and pretty decent video recording. Previous N series devices with good cameras have been a bit big and clunky.
    • 3.5 mm headphone jack and dedicated music controls.
    • Built-in GPS (and comes with mapping software).
    • Wifi and HSDPA.

Seems to me it takes the best of things from other Nokia devices (form factor from N80, camera from N93, music controls from the dedicated music phones) and adds great connectivity. I don't think they've made a device before that's as appealing in terms of size looks that has had anything like the funtionality.

The Iphone is of course very tasty, but has other practicality issues. For the Iphone at least these would probably not influence initial sales however. After the first few 100 get dropped however I think we will hear a lot more about it.
    Will it be slippery, will the battery die after 40 minutes? For sure things like that could hurt it. At this point of course they're just a bunch of internet rumours.
    05-01-2007 10:59 AM
    i've always argued that many on this board don't even need to compromise size for functionality as so many users simply don't have a need beyond email, internet, and phone. and like you point out, functionality beyond that is sometimes "unnecessary."

it's also interesting to see how much the "other devices" forum has grown in terms of threads and views.....not that it validates my dislike for Treos but simply that it shows how interested so many are in newer and different devices. i suppose it's been beaten to death.

i want to understand the user who pays $800 for a device without a keyboard. asinine in my estimation.
    05-01-2007 11:31 AM
    /\ That's going to happen every time a product has been out, virtually unchanged, for so long. They can call the 750 a "new design" all they want, but it is far from the truth. Maybe an auto company can get away with that, not a phone.

Even the razr has lost its mystique. And it is arguably STILL the best thin-designed flip out there. Change is not only good, but necessary in the phone biz...

My only requirements for a phone are to be capable (a smart phone), easy to use, and reliable. The 750 IMO is unreliable, my Blackjack is the most reliable but least capable, and my 8525 is the most capable but least easy to use. If the treo was more reliable it would be my favorite device hands down right now. And most treo 750 users agree, which is so frustrating with that phone.
    05-01-2007 12:00 PM
    lighter would be most welcomed given my distaste for belt pouches and the like.

hey, at least it gives us something new to talk about!
    05-01-2007 12:09 PM
    Sorry, these quotes are kinda outa order of the dicussion:

N95? $800 and no keyboard? yet another device that misses the mark. clumsy, poor battery life, and no keyboard. wait, let me guess, it has a super camera, lets you listen to music and watch videos, and has wi-fi when you're hanging out at your local starbucks.

oh well, one less device for me to worry about
    Battery life is better than the Treo 680.
    No keyboard is a downer if you want a communicator, not if you want a phone.

Don't worry about it though. Its good for what it does.

i've always argued that many on this board don't even need to compromise size for functionality as so many users simply don't have a need beyond email, internet, and phone. and like you point out, functionality beyond that is sometimes "unnecessary."
    I'm beginning to agree. And also agreeing with the side of things that says that if you want a communicator,then you will not care about the size as long as the keys are large enough to type and the UI is effective enough to get the job done with minimal tweaking. I find that the N95 is a good (enough) phone. Excellent travel device, and horrible email device. My 680 is much better, but the size difference btween the two is too noticeable. If the 680 were less plump, it would a a whole lot more attractive next to such devices IMO.

I personally do not like the design of the N95, and cant see how the dual slider makes it any more consumer friendly than not.
    Silly experiment of mine. I let people play with the N95 and you know what, they liked teh slider. Could not care what it did, the fact that it slid two ways was like watching the first episode of Transformers. Folks were mystified. I could not understand it, but its cool to them. Eh...

What you fail to recognize is that the Nokia N95 falls into the Tytn range of devices, not the mass market Nokia Symbian devices,
    ooh, good point. Tis a shame too. But I think that the price will come down some (hopefulyl a 50% some).
    05-01-2007 04:40 PM
    The IPhone is of course "hot"
    Quite possibly true in a literal sense if this is to be believed:

But hear this, this Phone will definitely have the most powerful cpu ever used on a cellphone. Reportedly itll be around 1.2Ghz compare that to 400Mhz processors on most Windows Mobile devices.

http://www.teknojunkie.com/?p=85

which of course it isn't
    05-03-2007 06:52 AM
    Quite possibly true in a literal sense if this is to be believed:

But hear this, this Phone will definitely have the most powerful cpu ever used on a cellphone. Reportedly it’ll be around 1.2Ghz… compare that to 400Mhz processors on most Windows Mobile devices.

http://www.teknojunkie.com/?p=85

which of course it isn't
    1.2 Ghz? Now the 40 min battery life makes sense.

"Capt'n, I canna change the laws of physics"

Surur
    05-03-2007 07:17 AM
    Ah, but if you can distort reality the laws of physics should be no problem
    05-03-2007 07:56 AM
    Another prediction for iPhone sales, this time from Shebly Seyrafi, an analyst with Caris & Co:

"Seyrafi expects 17 million units in fiscal 2008 and 25 million in fiscal 2009".

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...iphone-demand/

Only Steve Ballmer has predicted higher!

My estimate of 20 million by the end of 2008 is beginning to look quite modest
    05-09-2007 10:55 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD