How fast is Sprint 650 vs Edge?

Even Treo 650 is an adequate music player (pTunes), PDA (Datebk6), e-mail device (Chatter). What it is not adequate for is streaming video (a la Orb or Slingmedia) because of bandwidth limitations.

Only when we get a device with 3G speeds, will we add new capabilities. Otherwise iPhone is just a keyless Treo with similar capabilities (and possibly a better user interface .. we'll see the devil is in the details).

Spending all that $$ for iPhone or any EDGE device is insane.
    01-09-2007 09:46 PM
    Theoretically, it's a little faster than CDMA 1xRTT (144 Kbps) vs. EDGE (236.8 kbit/s) ... but in real use, they're about the same -- somewhere between 56tk modem and 128k ISDN.
    01-09-2007 09:54 PM
    Mr Jobs - "A lot of these phones have low battery life. We've managed to get 5 hours of battery of talk time, video, and browsing. 16 hours of audio playback"

5 hours seemed to be longer than Treo. How did they do that?! Lithium Polymer battery?
    They bought some REALLY cheap batteries from Sony
    01-10-2007 06:28 AM
    fyi, a lot of us hear don't understand geek speak (i.e. cdma 1xrtt, etc), lol. So CDMA 1xRTT is what Sprint has?

Theoretically, it's a little faster than CDMA 1xRTT (144 Kbps) vs. EDGE (236.8 kbit/s) ... but in real use, they're about the same -- somewhere between 56tk modem and 128k ISDN.
    01-10-2007 06:35 AM
    That is their 2G (old) network. Their (Sprint, Verizon) 3G network is EVDO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO
    01-10-2007 07:24 AM
    Thanks, sounds like I have 2G with my current Sprint 650. I would not purchase the Apple phone with the same slow internet speeds. It appears what apple is offering via Cingular are speeds faster than what I have, but not as fast as 3G.

That is their 2G (old) network. Their (Sprint, Verizon) 3G network is EVDO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO
    01-10-2007 09:27 AM
    Thanks, sounds like I have 2G with my current Sprint 650. I would not purchase the Apple phone with the same slow internet speeds. It appears what apple is offering via Cingular are speeds faster than what I have, but not as fast as 3G.
    I don't claim to understand all of that stuff, either, but I've got the 650 and I really don't think it's anywhere near as fast as EDGE. 650's approach (and barely surpass, in my experience) TRUE dial-up speed.

In other words, the iPhone will have a faster internet connection than a 650. No worries there.
    01-10-2007 09:46 AM
    Treo 650 on Cingular has EDGE. You may not see the true speeds up to the theoretical limits because of network and tower congestion.
    iPhone has Wi-Fi, which will be faster, but the data speeds through Cingular network will be the same on the Treo 650 and iPhone.
    01-10-2007 10:19 AM
    How fast will wifi be? As fast as my laptop is via wifi?

Treo 650 on Cingular has EDGE. You may not see the true speeds up to the theoretical limits because of network and tower congestion.
    iPhone has Wi-Fi, which will be faster, but the data speeds through Cingular network will be the same on the Treo 650 and iPhone.
    01-10-2007 10:59 AM
    If the 750 will not do UMTS on Cingular's network, then iPhone. Palm had another opportunity with the Treo 680 to do UMTS/broadband and gave us EDGE.
    01-10-2007 11:19 AM
    If the 750 will not do UMTS on Cingular's network, then iPhone. Palm had another opportunity with the Treo 680 to do UMTS/broadband and gave us EDGE.
    Hmmm. I guess I had a brain-lapse and didn't realize/remember that the 680 had EDGE speeds (which I like, btw, since I'm used to the 650).

specimen38, if neither device has the speed you want (including the iPhone), why go with Apple? Does the iPhone win out in other areas, for you? If so, which?
    01-10-2007 11:37 AM
    How fast will wifi be? As fast as my laptop is via wifi?
    Should be. The iPhone supports all wi-fi protocols, including the fastest one 802.11-n (draft). So it could be even faster if the hot-spot is using 802.11-n routers.
    01-10-2007 11:38 AM
    Should be. The iPhone supports all wi-fi protocols, including the fastest one 802.11-n (draft). So it could be even faster if the hot-spot is using 802.11-n routers.
    I dunno about "n." The Apple site says "b/g."
    01-10-2007 11:41 AM
    Does anyone know if the iPhone allows simultaneous transfer of voice AND data, like the 750 does?

That's kind of a big deal, for me.
    01-10-2007 11:50 AM
    Yes, infact Jobs was sending photos via email while on the phone.

Does anyone know if the iPhone allows simultaneous transfer of voice AND data, like the 750 does?

01-10-2007 12:22 PM

I believe EDGE does not (network limitation), but the iphone OS does. So you could be on the phone and still use your WiFi connection, for example.
    01-10-2007 12:23 PM
    I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device. Palm still has the advantage and acceptance as a business tool FIRST and foremost. When I spent $400 on my first Treo, no one in accounting batted an eye - its a phone and a PDA. While I can only speak for my own organization, I can say that I do not expect "the boys in accounting" to sign off on anyone's iPhone. Regardless of how well it handles contact, email, messaging, etc.

I am NOT saying that this "attitude" is right I am merely suggesting that it is/will be pervasive in the business community which makes up a huge percentage of smartphone sales. For me its the choice between spending company money on something like a Treo (or Moto Q, Dash or Blackjack, or Blackberry) or shelling out $600 of my own money for an iPhone. On that basis alone, my choice is SIMPLE.
    01-10-2007 12:37 PM
    I dunno about "n." The Apple site says "b/g."
    Jobs said this during his keynote address. You can stream it in Quicktime from apple web site.
    01-10-2007 12:52 PM
    I think the thing that missing from the discussion, and an invisible hurdle for Apple to leap over is/will be the notion that the iPhone is - primarily - an entertainment device.
    Bandwidth required for entertainment (streaming video) is what makes it surprising that Aapple stayed with EDGE for iPhone.
    01-10-2007 12:54 PM
    Yes, infact Jobs was sending photos via email while on the phone.
    But the call was on hold, if I remember correctly.
    01-10-2007 01:02 PM
    No one has made a comment about wha tif the iPhone can not send or receive files wirelessly. Like beeming a file from one bluetooth device to another. I am sure the iTunes content will be locked down. Also, there appears to be no proper file browser either. Files are accessed through the apps that use them, like the iPhoto app for photos and iPod app for songs and videos and so on. I did not see anythign that allowed you to properly browse files on the device.
    01-10-2007 01:09 PM
    A lot isnt known. Lets face it - everyone is projecting their dreams on this device, and since it isnt available, its hard to know which will come true and which will not.

Marc
    01-10-2007 01:23 PM
    Jobs said this during his keynote address. You can stream it in Quicktime from apple web site.
    I hate it when companies can't keep their info. straight.

Something similar happened with the 750, I think. A sentence on one page said it had a feature, then the Treo comparison chart suggested it did not.

*sigh*
    01-10-2007 01:37 PM
    Is anyone else concerned about how you do data entry on the iPhone. I hate onscreen keyboards in tablets. If you look at the iPhone demo on the Apple web site you notice that they only do a very very short input into an email. If I can't create emails reasonably from the device, its useless. Thoughts?
    01-10-2007 02:32 PM
    Is anyone else concerned about how you do data entry on the iPhone. I hate onscreen keyboards in tablets. If you look at the iPhone demo on the Apple web site you notice that they only do a very very short input into an email. If I can't create emails reasonably from the device, its useless. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't expect them to input a ton of text. What makes you think their short input suggests that longer input would be problematic?

Tactile sensations are worth noting, but if the accuracy's there, so's the potential.
    01-10-2007 02:35 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD