dinosaurs treo - tks apple, now that is a phone!!!

heterodoxos

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I admit to being an Apple fan boy but they really have outdone themselves this time and exceeded all of my expectations. For those concerned about applications, the fact that it runs OSX should make it, I imagine, relatively easy to develop for.

My only disappointment is that it won't be released in Europe until the end of the year. I do wonder how they will deal with network customisation, I don't imagine Apple allowing this as other manufacturers do. I remain hopeful that we will be able to buy it unlocked. Until that time I will console myself with the possibility of a 3G version when we finally get our hands on it and that the Vaja case I ordered over the weekend for my 680 won't be a complete waste!

I look forward to the reviews over the coming months, especially from members of this board.....

treoneo

Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
I mean talk about innovation! I am stunned to say the least! It drives home what I have been saying for the last couple of years - Palm is a company which does ZERO innovation & rests on their laurels. They have been releasing the same dang Treo 600 for years now as an update! Not to mention the stability is horrible. Why have a device where you allow & even boast that thousands of apps can be added to increase functionality when once you do, the dang thing won't work?? I have been waiting for a reason to leave Palm & this could be it. One thing wasn't clear - does it record video too? I mean come one guys, just about every single feature of this thing is innovative. Palm are you guys asleep at the wheel???

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
With features like this, and if they work as advertised...... WOW!

Built-in Advanced Sensors
iPhone?s accelerometer detects when you rotate the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display, so you immediately see the entire width of a web page or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.

The proximity sensor detects when you lift iPhone to your ear and immediately turns off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches until iPhone is moved away.

An ambient light sensor automatically adjusts the display?s brightness to the appropriate level for the current ambient light, thereby enhancing the user experience and saving power at the same time.

Those are all just nice touches for a 'dumb phone'. Where the real tech, such as digital TV (DVB-H), XM-Radio, HSDPA, GPS, a keyboard you can do work on etc.

Its a cool toy, and no doubt will sell well, but its not a Treo replacement (though it may kill their consumer base).

Surur

Wiz

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
Indeed. NO HSDPA, NO UMTS, NO GPRS, only EDGE. Now that is enough to kill the iPhone way before it is even launched in Europe.

heterodoxos

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I was surprised at the lack of 3G not so much HSDPA, considering Apple's history with new technology. Cingular does have a 3G network but from my understanding 3G roll out in the States has been relatively slow. Perhaps this will happen for the European and or Asian release....

ps40897

Mar 1, 2005
Visit site
Hey palm, I want to like you but this phone I have keeps resetting at awkward times, is super fat, and doesn't even do wifi. I hope you learn a few lessons from apple before my 2yr contract is up on this 700p because I'm sooooo ready to jump ship. Just give me a chance to save up for it.

cyber

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
to sum it up:

it's the EVERYTHING

don't worry about OS X headaches on a mobile phone. they thought it through.

none of the feared transition issues to intel appeared.

that phone is a mark in history already.

great for future innovations! wonder how nokia and the rest will answer.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
BTW, one-handed operation won't be easy with the iPhone. Besides the fact that it's drop-dead gorgeous, there's a lot that isn't known; I wouldn't rush to think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Marc

While I do really think that it is going to be an amazing phone I'll agree with you that it might not be the best thing since sliced bread. However, I think we all will agree that it is far better then the day old bread that we've been force fed lately!

Dunc

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2