Iphone 3GS Street View

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
Will the Iphone 3GS have the same Google Street View capabilities as the G1? In other words, will the integrated compass allow you to rotate the Street View image just by rotating your phone? I haven't heard any mention of this....

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
my guess would be yes. of course it would be the same. it is something gmaps offers, not APPLE. so unless Apple actively blocks it, it will still be there. again that is only a guess.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
my guess would be yes. of course it would be the same. it is something gmaps offers, not APPLE. so unless Apple actively blocks it, it will still be there. again that is only a guess.

I would guess yes. The 3G does it, why would that stop with the (S) when it's supposed to be a faster and stronger model. It would be even better. The reason it's not in any of the beta testing screenshots is because it's not a new feature. It's already there.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
With the magnetometer there's no reason it shouldn't, if it doesn't, it would be quite a waste of it's capabilities..

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
In wwdc they already said the digital compass would work with maps to give you orientation. Since street view is a part of google maps and not apples purview...it will work ;)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I was looking more closely at the Apple website concerning this. It specifically states the map will be rotated according to which way your facing AND we still have street view. So it seems likely to me that street view will also turn when the phone turns.

that could get annoying and I hope there is a way to disable it if it is in fact an option in the first place.

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
Looks like StreetView will not have functionality with the compass. I pulled this from Engadget's 3GS review....

One sour note was that you're not treated to the same reality-bending feat of using the compass while in street view (as Android does -- always great at parties), though it's a minor complaint.

Here's a link to the article: iPhone 3G S review

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
the map doesn't rotate. YOu can see this in the WWDC keynote. I am sure a thirdparty app will add this feature but the main google maps app doesn't do this. It only rotates your icon to show your direction....which i think is better because then you are never confused about which way is north.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2