Iphone 3gS Video Camera Resolution

Unchewable

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I cant find any info anywhere and I seem to be the only one asking :( does anybody know what the video resolution will be. It is great that it is taking it at 30 fps vga but does that mean it is 640x480 or lower. This will effect whether or not I get a flip video camera.

I was reading that 25% of the video camera marketshare has been taken up by camera's like the flip recently and I am surprised that the exact resolution spec to the video camera wasnt released.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Video will be 640x480. My question is what format and bitrate is it saved at? I'm hoping for h.264. Also, does any transcoding occur when uploading to YouTube or MobileMe (I'm guessing not) or is that version the same as the original file you would sync back to your desktop?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
You can upload to YouTube / Mobile Me ?
Sure, that's one of the things Apple was pushing - the ability to shoot video, trim it, and upload it (or email it) straight from the phone without needing a desktop computer.

This is actually a killer feature for me- shoot a short video of my son and then upload it for his grandparents to see, all while on the go.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
current 3g users think they'll be able to hold out. that cool feature alone will make them purple (or green) with envy.

As I understand it it's resolution matches our current screen res. right? which is 640 x480????

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Sure, that's one of the things Apple was pushing - the ability to shoot video, trim it, and upload it (or email it) straight from the phone without needing a desktop computer.

This is actually a killer feature for me- shoot a short video of my son and then upload it for his grandparents to see, all while on the go.

Omg wow...

That's crazy. Not that I didn't know that other phones have done it before but I wouldn't think apple would do that so soon.

Do you know if you can upload over cellular or only over Wi-Fi ? I guess this would be the first test of at&t network to see if they can handle all those videos uploading to youtube / mobileme.

I think it's safe to say that Video conference is really on it's way.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Do you know if you can upload over cellular or only over Wi-Fi ?
They said WiFi or 3G during the KeyNote. That's why I'm curious about the bitrate of the video (which determines both quality and filesize). Video uploads over AT&T 3G might take a long time even for short clips...

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
They said WiFi or 3G during the KeyNote. That's why I'm curious about the bitrate of the video (which determines both quality and filesize). Video uploads over AT&T 3G might take a long time even for short clips...

That's a very legitimate concern because they didn't demo what the video would look like on youtube...only on the phone itself. YouTube however resizes and compresses from any upload , no ?

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to be the first in line at my ATT store , what I will do is buy mine then take some video of the whole line while I walk back to my car then I will upload it to YouTube or something for you guys to see :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77