Apple Care + VS Carrier Insurance

Maribear92

Sep 12, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm going to pre order the iPhone 11 Pro Max and I need help deciding if I should purchase Apple Care + w/Theft and Loss or one of the insurance plans with Verizon such at the Total Mobile Protection. I'm not understanding which one is better because right away they offer similar benefits such as $29 screen repairs, same day replacements, etc. Could someone help me out.

Thank you,

Maribear

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
All those are done at Verizon authorized replacement facilities while Apple does theirs in house. If you’re closer to a Verizon I guess go with theirs but if you’re equally close to Apple or Verizon I’d do Apple. It’s the peace of mind I’m looking after.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don’t know about Verizon specifically but anyone I’ve ever known that has had to use carrier insurance had to jump through hoops multiple times to get things taken care of. All experiences I’ve had with Apple have been taken care of right away and have gone pretty smoothly. For me, it’s a no brainer, I’d go with Apple Care.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All those are done at Verizon authorized replacement facilities while Apple does theirs in house. If you’re closer to a Verizon I guess go with theirs but if you’re equally close to Apple or Verizon I’d do Apple. It’s the peace of mind I’m looking after.
For the peace of mind, I, too, recommend AppleCare +

I don’t know about Verizon specifically but anyone I’ve ever known that has had to use carrier insurance had to jump through hoops multiple times to get things taken care of. All experiences I’ve had with Apple have been taken care of right away and have gone pretty smoothly. For me, it’s a no brainer, I’d go with Apple Care.

‘Nuf said...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AppleCare+ is the better choice especially if you have an Apple Store near you. I have never actually damaged or lost any iPhone (Yet) but still its cheap insurance compared to the Carrier stuff which is done by 3rd party insurance company and you don't know what you are getting compared to getting an Apple Certified and your AppleCare+ will continue on with the new unit without any issue. Also read the fine print on the carrier stuff on limits for replacements, Apple is 2 in 24 months the carriers could be more strict especially on a family plan for their insurance.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

This is my impression as well.

Maribear92

Sep 12, 2019
Visit site
I see where everyone is coming from and I appreciate the responses. My only hesitation has been that I've had a pleasant experience Verizon's insurance when I had to get my phone replaced. Another thing to consider is that the closest Apple Store is over 100 miles away. Every article I read and person I speak to say to get AppleCare+ but I don't know. Wahhhh :(

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So get both. You're already spending a minimum of $1100 so spend a little more for total piece of mind.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My X was the first phone I ever had insurance on in a long time and I decided to go with Verizon insurance and it was no hassle when I had issues with my phone. They actually overnighted me a replacement. Took me by surprise. AppleCare is great but you have to go with what best suits you. Also take in account that some best buys are now authorized service providers for Apple!

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
And doesn’t carrier insurance stay for as long as you have the device? Meaning Apple’s is paid for and covered for 24 months whereas Verizon is never-ending charge?

Something to keep in mind I guess? I remember extremely high deductibles for anything beyond a screen repair, too. Isn’t Apple’s like $79-100?

G Y

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
And doesn’t carrier insurance stay for as long as you have the device? Meaning Apple’s is paid for and covered for 24 months whereas Verizon is never-ending charge?

Something to keep in mind I guess? I remember extremely high deductibles for anything beyond a screen repair, too. Isn’t Apple’s like $79-100?

Still cheaper than SquareTrade at 149.99.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
AT&T was 8.99 going up to $15 in 2 weeks. Have always used AT&T since I do next. This year I got approved on Apple UP so took the Apple care +. With what I’m going to pay on Apple and Apple care + a month for the pro Max. Is $5 cheaper versus getting it they AT&T next and their insurance.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
On the 11 Pro Max, T-mobile offers $15/month that includes Applecare+. In the event that you have a cracked screen. $29 for first two screen repairs, $99 for additional repairs. That comes to $180 per year until you cancel.

Applecare+ is $199 for two years only.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
On the 11 Pro Max, T-mobile offers $15/month that includes Applecare+. In the event that you have a cracked screen. $29 for first two screen repairs, $99 for additional repairs. That comes to $180 per year until you cancel.

Applecare+ is $199 for two years only.

I currently have Protection 360 on my iPhone X which I got through T-Mobile. This time around I am purchasing my iPhone 11 Pro Max from Apple, and I had been wondering if I should keep Protection 360 or going with Apple Care +. I had decided to stick with Protection 360, but just to be sure I could do this I contacted T-Mobile and asked if I could get it on phones purchased from Apple. According to the rep I chatted with, Protection 360 only works with phones purchased directly from T-Mobile. If that rep was correct, that’s something to keep in mind too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaikcorey83