Dragonkeeper

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have search this forum and on the web and I am unable to find an answer. Hopefully some one here can shed a little light and help out a newbie. I have a new IPad 3 and when I sync my photos using ITunes it seems to increase the file size of them. For example, I have a folder with about 1200 pictures in it and the size of the folder is about 560MB and yet when I select to sysn it in ITunes it shows it as 4.2GB of space being taken. Does anyone knows why this happens. It does not happen when I sync my videos. If I select a 2.2GB video it shows as that much space being taken. I really don't want to be taking up a lot of space on the IPad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like the math is off a bit. If you have 1200 photos all taken with the new iPad (iPad 3), then the total amount of space that your photos are taking up should really be somewhere in the area of about 2.6 GB, as the average file size of a photo taken with the new iPad is about 2.2MB per photo. The total space actually taken could be a bit more or less that 2.6GB since every picture is different and compression can vary with how complex the image is. I think iTunes doesn't differentiate between photos and videos that are in your camera roll when ou connect it to your computer, and so it combines the total space by adding the photos and videos into a lump sum. Does that make sense? "Videos" in iTunes usually separated out and uploaded to the Videos app on your iPad. Things like actual movies, or videos you've synced with your computer from your iPad, and then resynced from your computer back to your iPad. I honestly hate how apple does this.

Hope this explanation helps.

Dragonkeeper

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the math is off a bit. If you have 1200 photos all taken with the new iPad (iPad 3), then the total amount of space that your photos are taking up should really be somewhere in the area of about 2.6 GB, as the average file size of a photo taken with the new iPad is about 2.2MB per photo. The total space actually taken could be a bit more or less that 2.6GB since every picture is different and compression can vary with how complex the image is. I think iTunes doesn't differentiate between photos and videos that are in your camera roll when ou connect it to your computer, and so it combines the total space by adding the photos and videos into a lump sum. Does that make sense? "Videos" in iTunes usually separated out and uploaded to the Videos app on your iPad. Things like actual movies, or videos you've synced with your computer from your iPad, and then resynced from your computer back to your iPad. I honestly hate how apple does this.

Hope this explanation helps.

The photos were not taking with the IPad3, they were taking with my camera and I used Photoshop to edit them and reduce the file size of them. So when they are in the folder on my computer the files size is small. I am using a Windows 7 PC. When I transfer the pictures to an Android Tablet or the Blackberry Playbook the size of the folder does not increase in size, so if it is 700mb on my computer it is 700mb on these tablets. It is only on the IPad that this is happening.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Okay, the way I understand it is that you have just the photos you've edited in photoshop on your iPad, with no other photos or videos on the iPad? Is that correct?

If so, that would definitely be strange, and I'm afraid I wouldn't have an answer for that problem. Keep in mind that if you go into the Settings menu and look at the space that's currently being taken up on your iPad, it will include all photos and videos currently in your camera roll.

Dragonkeeper

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay, the way I understand it is that you have just the photos you've edited in photoshop on your iPad, with no other photos or videos on the iPad? Is that correct?

Correct.

If so, that would definitely be strange, and I'm afraid I wouldn't have an answer for that problem. Keep in mind that if you go into the Settings menu and look at the space that's currently being taken up on your iPad, it will include all photos and videos currently in your camera roll.

Yes it is very strange.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2