iPad Crashes all the time since 4.2 Update

governmentman

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I updated the first day it was available and I've been putting up with apps crashing and restarting my iPad 3-4 times a day ever since. I've tried double-tapping the home button and clearing out everything in the task switcher and nothing works. Safari crashed. Mail crashes. 3rd Party apps crash. I even tried restoring my iPad today and there is no improvement at all. I'm not sure I had to restart my iPad once under 3.2. I've had my iPad since late April.

The situation is intolerable, my iPad is useless unless I restart it before doing any task. I went on the Apple Forums today and found that many people are experiencing the same problem.

The thing I don't understand is that I read all the Apple blogs and I have not heard ANYTHING about this at all. I assume then that most people are not having the problem but some of us are. How widespread is this? Is there anything I can do?

I am desperate.

governmentman

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Possible Solution Found!

After struggling with this everyday since the update I got desperate enough to try experimenting with the settings. I have 7 email accounts including an exchange account set up on my iPad. I had push email enabled. I disable push email and set the fetch interval to manual. I have not had one crash since. It's only been a few hours but I'm excited that I may have my iPad back!!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, although you have your iPad back working you shouldn't have to have a setting turned off just to get it to work.

When you restored did you do it from a Backup or did you set the device up as new??

governmentman

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I restored from backup. I have 25GB of stuff on my iPad and I really didn't want to restore as new unless I had to. That was definitely going to be my next step though. I have not tried turning the mail settings back on to see if the problem returns. I should do that to verify the fix but I'm too busy enjoying my iPad again. I will try that eventually.

wiggy1

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Has your iPad given the low on or out of memory notification? I am wondering if you are running out of memory with background programs running. However, I have not experienced what you are describing, so I am just shooting in the dark here.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
has your iPad ever been jailbroken? I would just actually reload the firmware and restore from backup. You got the firmware on the first day so it may be broken in some way it's always possible. I haven't had any problems with 4.2 but I did have problems with web apps crashing. I took my iPad in to the Apple Store and they said it was a known issue with the modem and replaced it. I also had problems with my second iPad on 3.2.2 I had to end up reloading the OS and then after the restore from backup un-sync all the apps, in your case remove all your email accounts. The re-sync the apps back onto the iPad. Then do a reboot and setup your email accounts again. Just some food for thought :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77