iPad 3G As In Car GPS

Lotus Esprit V8

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
How feasible would it be to use an iPad as a GPS in your car?
A regular portable GPS just needs the windshield to locate the satellites while the iPad requires AT&T 3G.
I am wondering how accurate it would be and how often you would hit dead spots in AT&T service.

Any thoughts?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Correct me if I am totally "off-base" with this anyone, but GPS for navigation for cellular devices is not totally reliant upon AT&T signal. I use "CoPilot NA" on my iPhone and I know that it works in some VERY rural places where I know for a fact AT&T's service is beyond weak!

The way I understand it is that true GPS units (ie. Garmin) use Satellite location. Just like Satellite Radio does (Sirius/XM) Cellular devices use cell towers for location and not just that particular Carriers cell towers (ie. AT&T phone can pick up VZ or Tmo tower for GPS location). Again from my understanding and experience that is how most GPS Apps work on Cellular devices.

So a GPS app should work well on the iPad for navigation (3G iPad version of course)

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Yes correct the iPad 3G has an "aGPS" feature just like the iPhone 3G and 3GS. You are triangulated with the cell service first "if possible" then the GPS anntenna will lock it down for you. The wifi version doesn't have it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2