IPad Pro screen lifting, will Apple fix it ????

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My first generation iPad Pro 13" screen is lifting on the top (in landscape mode).
I started noticing light bleed thru around to top edges and that caused me to notice the gap.
I've had my Pro for about 20 months (paying on it thru T-Mobile) and its almost paid off.
I know it's out of Apple 1 year warranty but I've also read this is a defect with some batches of iPads.
My Pro has never left my house, always in a case and never dropped.
Is this caused by battery bulge?
If I take it to the Apple store are they going to charge me for their defect ?
Or fix it for free ?
Or exchange it ?
Or am I just screwed ?

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheers
Davyo

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely,

Book a appointment and take it in. Make sure data is backup via iTunes or iCloud. They will likely swap it.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well they won't charge you for them taking a look at it, AND if it's a known issues, or recall they will replace/repair the device, PLUS they may do so anyways. It does not hurt to try.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Definitely take it in. They will at least have a look at it ..... and hopefully replace it. Let us know how it goes.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just hope you aren't the leading edge of a new known problem lol. We had to pay to get my wife's iPhone 5 battery changed then like a years later they started fixing it for free cause of the known issue. I'm sure apple will treat you well though.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'll be taking it in this week, I'm just backing everything up right now to my external hard drive.

It's a know issue as I've read about others having the same problem so hopefully Apple will do the right thing.

I'll make sure to post the outcome later this week.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As promised, an update to my OP.

Called Apple, got an appointment to have them look at my first gen 12.9 Pro, when they were looking at my screen separating from the iPad body I did mention I had read online of others having the same issue and also mentioned I had read it could be caused by a swollen battery.
They replaced my Pro with almost no questions asked, I did have to wait 2 days for Apple to get my exact model in stock before doing the exchange, no big deal at all.
Apple totally took care of me (pun intended),,, and replaced my Pro with almost no questions asked, I was well past my 1 year warranty and did not have "Apple Care", they did a no charge exchange.
Apple claims it was a "New Pro" they gave me but I'm more inclined to think it's a refurbished even though they said it was not.
Anyhow, my "New" Pro is perfect and all is great.
Thank you very much to Apple for totally doing the right thing !!!!
Cheers, Davyo

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Called Apple, got an appointment to have them look at my first gen 12.9 Pro, when they were looking at my screen separating from the iPad body I did mention I had read online of others having the same issue and also mentioned I had read it could be caused by a swollen battery.
They replaced my Pro with almost no questions asked, I did have to wait 2 days for Apple to get my exact model in stock before doing the exchange, no big deal at all.
Apple totally took care of me (pun intended),,, and replaced my Pro with almost no questions asked, I was well past my 1 year warranty and did not have "Apple Care", they did a no charge exchange.
Apple claims it was a "New Pro" they gave me but I'm more inclined to think it's a refurbished even though they said it was not.
Cheers, Davyo

Great to hear! Glad they took care of you even when you were out of warranty.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This is how Apple rolls! I had a VERY similar experience with my 9.7 inch Pro which they also replace beyond the normal call of warranty! It won't ALWAYS happen and you can't get mad at them if they don't, BUT they really DO go out of their way to help whenever possible. I'll be an Apple customer for life!

SSipress

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
You were much more fortunate than I was

Cheers, Davyo

I had the same issue with one side of the screen of my iPad Pro separating from the rest of the iPad. I took it to my local Apple store and was told that it was 2 weeks past the one-year warranty period, so they would charge me $99 to take my iPad and give me a "new" one.

I explained that my iPad is always in a case, and I took it out of the case for the first time in months about a week ago because I was going to be traveling, and that's the first time I noticed the separation -- although it was probably occurring well before my one-year warranty period was up. The technician told me that I was out of luck because I hadn't noticed it when it first happened, and waited too long to bring it in.

No leeway whatsoever, even though it was just two weeks past the date when my one-year warranty ended. I left the Apple store, and will continue to use my iPad with a big bulge in the middle of the screen. (The technician said, "Yeah, it didn't seem to be affecting its function at all -- at least for now.")

Needless to say, I am a very unhappy Apple customer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711