Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7" model?

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I recently recieved the iPad Pro 12.9 as a gift from someone trying to steer me away from Windows. My primary device is an iPhone 6s Plus so it wasn't a big deal. Before opening it, I played with one in the store and had no interest. I was there to swap the 32gb one I got with a 128gb but left with a 128gb 9.7 inch. I don't have any other laptop at the moment and it's my primary device for creating presentations and to compliment my phone. I felt cramped the whole time with the 9.7 and ended up switching back to the 12.9. I couldn't be happier. I love how it's all synced and the cameras in the iPad never get used. I also don't carry any attachments at all, just a slim case and the on screen keyboard is night and day to the smaller one. I went to get a cable and looked at the 9.7 and it just seemed too small for me. I love this device and I also feel the power difference. There's no going back now. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Before I said no way but I recently sold my 12.9 Pro and picked up the 9.7. My iPad goes to the office with me everyday so having a more portable iPad has been great. Also, I'm loving this true tone display. Night mode just isn't the same and enough.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Before I said no way but I recently sold my 12.9 Pro and picked up the 9.7. My iPad goes to the office with me everyday so having a more portable iPad has been great. Also, I'm loving this true tone display. Night mode just isn't the same and enough.

I do tend to miss the 9.7" iPad from time to time due to its size and portability.

Commodus

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
It's a tough call. The 12.9-inch model is clearly better if you want to use it as a laptop, but the 9.7-inch version is better for most people as a tablet. I'm torn between the two!

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I had a chance to choose and went with the 12.9". I'd do it again in a heartbeat....love the 12.9".

I don't own a computer anymore, so my iPad Pro gets all of the duties and excels at everything I throw at it.

Coming from a OG iPad mini, this was a huge step for me, but a nice one.

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I waited some time before making the leap, but Serenity Caldwell's many fine articles on her experience with the larger iPad Pro convinced me that that was the one for me. I am most pleased with my decision and am looking forward to software catching up so I can spend less and less time on my retina MacBook Pro.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I waited some time before making the leap, but Serenity Caldwell's many fine articles on her experience with the larger iPad Pro convinced me...

She switched back to the 9.7. It shows how difficult the decision is, even after having used it awhile. She said it on the last Apple Talk podcast when they were talking about the iPad.

The only thing that stops me from getting it is the slow charging speed and I don't want to carry around a bigger, heavier charging cable. I use my iPad a lot throughout the day at two jobs, and I always have to charge it in between.

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I saw that article. However, it appeared to me that the baby Pro was a second-best alternative that she was able to make work. (Thanks--I'll re-read her article.)

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
oops! I did not read your reply carefully. And I have not listened to the Apple Talk podcast yet. So, thank you very much for the incentive to read it later today.

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
oops again! I meant listen to it.

in portable mode, I use either my iPhone 6 or my Air 2. Actually hoping that the iPhone 7+ works with the Apple Pencil.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I was firmly entrenched in the 12.9" camp after buying one last december. However, after my wife upgraded her iPad Air to the Baby Pro I gave it another look.

Turns out, i could not only get all of my work done on the Baby, I could also do alot of the other things I was missing using my 12.9" like read in bed, use it 1 handed and travel much lighter.

So in July i sold my 12.9 and picked up a Baby Pro and 98% of the time I'm happy with the decision i made.

Now, if this 10.5" iPad rumor is true and they are going to take the iPad widescreen I will be even happier because split screen apps will have that much more room.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If multitasking and productivity are your usage, then the larger screen makes sense. If your just using it as a consumption tablet, then the smaller size makes sense.

It's all about how you expect to use it.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
If multitasking and productivity are your usage, then the larger screen makes sense. If your just using it as a consumption tablet, then the smaller size makes sense.

It's all about how you expect to use it.

Yes and no, it totally depends on the type of consumption. One thing I really like are all the different board games on iOS. The larger screen (twice the size of the 9.7") makes it much easier to play with a group of people around a table and see the board, etc. It makes the bigger one just *that* much nicer to go from 'work to play' than the smaller iPP, even if the smaller is a little easier to carry around.

tiedemann

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I surprised myself and haven't given up my Air 2. I use the 12.9" at work and while traveling but I still use the Air 2 around the house more. The real casualty has been my iMac. I tend to use iOS on different screen sizes now transitioning between the 6S Plus, Air 2 and 12.9" Pro depending on my needs vs. macOS. Having the same routines and apps available to me and in sync on those different screens meets 95% of my needs now.

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

What do you do? I process emails, write my journal and blog, do research on the Web, manage task in Omnifocus, and watch Lynda.com training videos on my iPad Air 2 . I have the itch to get the Pro 12.9 , but I haven't been able to justify it because the Air is working so well.

The question in my mind is ---- will I be even more productive with the full size iPad Pro?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2