Filling out PDF form and saving to device as unique file . how?

82eridani

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Instead of my customers filling out my application by hand, on paper, I want them to be able to fill out a form on my Ipad mini 4. The goal was to open the original, blank form PDF file, have them fill it out then "save as" the customers name.pdf

I've installed adobe acrobat and acrobat fill and sign but neither seems to let you actually save the file on demand, in the folder of your choice, with the name of your choice...but I feel that this must be do-able somehow..yes?

If no can do with adobe, is there another way to create a form my customers can fill out which can be saved to a unique file name on the device?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Adobe Acrobat app lets me fill out a pdf form and then save it to a folder of my choice in Dropbox or in iCloud Drive by using the “open in” and then “save to files” option.

82eridani

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no way to use the device offline and save to local storage? I am able to transfer the PDF form to the device and have it appear in my documents.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to use the device offline and save to local storage? I am able to transfer the PDF form to the device and have it appear in my documents.

I’m confused. If you are able to “transfer the pdf form to the device and have it appear” in your documents, are you not able to pull up the form and start filling it out?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For example, I went to the Florida DMV site and found a pdf form.

IMG_0028.JPG

I then selected to the “copy to Acrobat” option

IMG_0033.JPG

After that, the form automatically went into edit mode where I can fill in the highlighted sections.

IMG_0030.JPG

Then I was able to select the “open in” option

IMG_0034.JPG

And then save it to whichever available choice.

IMG_0032.JPG

82eridani

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
I transferred the pdf to the device using a program in windows to transfer files to the device. The main issue here is I cannot save to the device the edited file. In the photos above it says "save to files" ..I don't have that option for some reason. I'm installing dropbox in the hopes of being able to save it someplace.

Basically, I'm trying to open a blank PDF form, which I will use on a daily basis and I don't' want it to change..I can open this as a local file because I transferred it to the device. Once I do, it wants to auto save any changes and I need the original document to remain unchanged, with all changes being saved to new PDF files under the students names. How can I do this? On a PC this would be a no-brainer but on this device it's highly confusing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After filing out the form in the acrobat reader app on your iPad, select the share option and select save to Dropbox (if that’s what you’ll be using). After that, rename the file in the Students name. The original file should remain intact. When I opted to save to files, it asked if I wanted to keep both copies which is ideal because you can rename the duplicate while maintaining the original.

82eridani

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
After filing out the form in the acrobat reader app on your iPad, select the share option and select save to Dropbox (if that’s what you’ll be using). After that, rename the file in the Students name. The original file should remain intact. When I opted to save to files, it asked if I wanted to keep both copies which is ideal because you can rename the duplicate while maintaining the original.

I followed these directions but something is off because it alters the original. Oddly, the preview image in Dropbox shows a blank form, but when I click on it to edit in Adobe, it shows the previous form data intact. When saving it asks only to save the "original" or a "flattened copy" which I was not sure about. Does this make a difference or is the culprit someplace else?

I am renaming the file and saving to a specific dropbox directory, however still it retains form data. I even made the PDF file read-only but this did nothing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I followed these directions but something is off because it alters the original. Oddly, the preview image in Dropbox shows a blank form, but when I click on it to edit in Adobe, it shows the previous form data intact. When saving it asks only to save the "original" or a "flattened copy" which I was not sure about. Does this make a difference or is the culprit someplace else?

I am renaming the file and saving to a specific dropbox directory, however still it retains form data. I even made the PDF file read-only but this did nothing.

I typically use the “flattened copy” option and have never had a problem with clients having difficulty viewing the file or anything else. As for seeing a blank form via Dropbox, I’ve never experienced that.

82eridani

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Basically, I'm opening the blank document in dropbox, then telling it to open with adobe. Adobe will edit and save to dropbox fine, no issues. But when going back to the original "blank" document, it retains the form data.

Also, to restate, when viewing the original after editing the dropbox preview shows that the form is blank, but when clicking on it ..the data is retained. The thumbnail does not match the actual document...

How can I tell Adobe or the Ipad not to do this? IF there is no way, is there a way to quickly delete all form data in a document with one push?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2