Touch ID or not?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking if the iPad Mini gets a Retina Display how could the iPads be differentiated. Then I thought the iPad 5 will obviously get Touch ID. So if the Mini doesn't get it but gets Retina that would make it a choice for some people. So does anyone think the Mini might not get the Touch ID?

The iPhone 5c ,which granted has older internals, doesn't have Touch ID. So I don't think Apple is beyond releasing a new device without a specific feature.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't think it would be a bad idea, but do think it depends on how it goes over with the 5s,issues and demand for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the overwhelming success of the iPhone 5S, it's possible that any iOS product going forward will have a Touch ID option, especially if the they'll continue to advertise increased security for consumers in the manner they have with the additional features of the Find My iPhone option.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would hope that the TouchID is included in all future products. I already find myself resting my finger on my iPad Mini's home button waiting for the lock screen to open.

I love my Mini, and would only consider upgrading for both TouchID and a retina display. WIthout both features, I see no need to upgrade. It?s perfect as it is, save these 2 features.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, have the 4, and can't put it down. Or even thought about an upgrade, but with those two features on a mini. The thought would be there.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The touch ID isn't really that important to me- the retina would be awesome- of course I say this not having played with the touch ID feature yet- I am still using my 5 until I can upgrade in a few months- I might feel differently if I was using it and seeing what it could do.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Rene brought up a good point on MacBreak Weekly that I didn't even think of and that's the processor. The current mini has a 5x and so the 2nd gen will most likely have the 6x. The touch ID needs the 7 or 7x processor that will most likely be in the iPad 5. So you are looking at a mini that has Retina display and jumps two processor models being sold for the same price. Could Apple do it? sure they can. However the Mini brings in less profit because of it's close margins. So to add all that new tech and sell it at the same price point.

I'm convinced more than ever if the Mini gets Retina it will not have Touch ID. The Retina differentiates it from the first gen and gives people a reason to buy. The Touch ID on the iPad 5 along with the new slimmer, lighter design makes it a choice for some who now love Touch ID. It differentiates them and makes it a harder choice for the people in the middle of the spectrum. Apple will eventually go all Touch ID but it just got released on the 5s so there's no hurry to put it on all devices. The iPhone 5s has it, the iPad 5 will most likely have it and then next year the Mini 3 will get it maybe even MacBooks who knows.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'd be surprised if it doesn't have Touch ID. Kinda like how Siri went on all new products going forward, after the iPhone 4S came out, and even backfilled to the iPad 3 -- I see this as similar...

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
just sold my ipad 3- waiting to hear what comes out- I love my mini- I dont think I will buy the full sized one again... Of course I didnt think i would buy the mini either... I guess my wish is a gold mini with retina- if it comes with touch id its a bonus

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going on record as saying the Mini 2 will definitely have a Retina display. I'm thinking the iPad 5 will get the Touch iD feature but not the Mini 2.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm going on record as saying the Mini 2 will definitely have a Retina display. I'm thinking the iPad 5 will get the Touch iD feature but not the Mini 2.

I'm holding you to this. Mainly cause I really want it to be true. Think it will come in gold?

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Going out on a limb that either iPad 5 AND iPad Mini 2 gets Touch ID or neither gets it and Touch ID is an iPhone 5s exclusive.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77