From my research I have found many different opinions about whether or not an iPad should be powered off to charge or powered on to charge. I trust this group. What is the proper way?
    02-22-2016 12:09 AM
    It's a matter of personal preference. Apple's lithium batteries are pretty sophisticated so there's no harm to charging while your iPad is turned on. If you're in a rush you may save a few minutes turning if off while charging. Nonetheless, you should expect to retain 80% of original battery capacity for 1,000 full charge cycles, whether your iPad is powered on or off.
    02-22-2016 12:16 AM
    I've done it both ways, just depends. Most always it's on unless I accidentally let it run down.

Like @Devilishbanker said, it will charge faster while off but that's about the only "benefit" I can think of.
    02-22-2016 05:58 AM
    From my research I have found many different opinions about whether or not an iPad should be powered off to charge or powered on to charge. I trust this group. What is the proper way?
    The link below will direct you to the official charging directions direct from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201569
    02-22-2016 09:38 AM
    Thanks for the link, but it doesn't address my question.
    02-22-2016 10:10 PM
    How about the two posts above that?

What's the reason for asking? Is there something you're concerned about?
    02-22-2016 10:11 PM
    Your question has been answered, twice. It doesn't matter either way.
    BD_BB_8520 likes this.
    02-22-2016 10:13 PM
    Standing it on its left edge will allow the air bubbles to release and will make sure it complete tops off...
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    02-23-2016 01:02 AM
    Look, folks, I'm just asking. Not running for office. With my (Android) phone, if I want to maintain my battery's life I need to charge the phone while it's powered off. I just want to know if the same is true for my iPad. That's all, really. And the first two posters told me it doesn't matter. I get it. Thank you and see you later.
    02-24-2016 05:44 AM
    Look, folks, I'm just asking. Not running for office. With my (Android) phone, if I want to maintain my battery's life I need to charge the phone while it's powered off. I just want to know if the same is true for my iPad. That's all, really. And the first two posters told me it doesn't matter. I get it. Thank you and see you later.
    OK, we were just checking. The only feedback provided was to D telling him he was wrong so we wanted to make sure we were on the right track with getting you the help you needed. The link he posted explained how to charge it, but didn't mention turning it off. These devices are smart enough to charge provided you use Apple certified accessories (doesn't have to be Apple branded, but keep an eye out for the MFi logo:

What is the proper way to charge an iPad Mini 4?-mfi.jpg

Never heard of having to turn the device off to prolong battery. Maybe to charge quicker, but not to help with overall performance/longevity of the battery. This article from Apple explains how to keep your Apple battery maintained for the longest life and best performance:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Good luck, and enjoy your iPad!
    Just_Me_D and BD_BB_8520 like this.
    02-25-2016 05:52 AM
    Absolutely NO REASON to charge it powered off.
    Demonstration is in the moment you connect it, it switches itself on
    04-02-2016 10:17 AM
    Actually from the link you discharged...

Follow these steps:
    Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device.
    Restart your iOS device.
    Try a different USB cable or charger.
    Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
    Contact Apple Support to set up service.

That implies you have to keep it on while charging.
    04-02-2016 10:31 AM
    The link I provided above was in response to the thread question, "What is the proper way to charge an iPad Mini 4".
    04-02-2016 10:31 AM
    If you want or need it still on, you can put it on Airplane Mode. It will charge faster and still be useable =)
    04-04-2016 08:36 AM
    I find that I let my battery go down to about 5% and then charge it overnight. I use my iPad quite a lot during the day, and it would usually need charged most nights. I find this is the best way. I have heard that keeping it charged all the time actually harms the battery and it won't last as long. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    04-04-2016 06:43 PM
    I find that I let my battery go down to about 5% and then charge it overnight. I use my iPad quite a lot during the day, and it would usually need charged most nights. I find this is the best way. I have heard that keeping it charged all the time actually harms the battery and it won't last as long. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    That's hardly related to the question of the thread.
    Btw depleting the battery to 5% every day surely harms it more than keep it topped (as long as you discharge it once every few days).
    Ideally a battery works better if kept between 20-30% and 80-90% of its maximum capacity, but since it's not always practical to use it that way..... just use your phone and recharge it when needed!
    But try to avoid to discharge it completely every day, if you can
    DisturbedKoala likes this.
    04-05-2016 04:51 AM