External storage

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I am running out of space on my Air 2. At the time I bought it I couldn't justify spending any more money.

I looked at a Leef and would like the one with the SD card, because I can keep expanding the storage - but my computer doesn't have an SD card slot and while I could buy an external one, I thought perhaps there was something easier.

My son has an iPad pro and bought external storage but he says he isn't bothering to move his music because Apple make it so difficult.

I did read the Leef information and it said you need to go to iTunes and drag and drop your music onto the Leef. I don't know how to do this so I can find it on the Leef and my granddaughter, who knows how to do most things on the iPhone, says she doesn't either.
I am wondering if someone can recommend an easy to work external storage device. I would like to move my music onto it and delete it off the iPad, if this is possible. It's the thing that is taking up the most room.

If I buy an external storage like this - I assume I can delete my photos and my music off the iPad to make more room. Is this correct?

I am in Canada but I think most of the devices available in the US are available here - only they cost more which is how it is!

Thanks.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Leef for my Air 2 and ended up getting a refund from the company after going through three replacements they sent me and innumerable firmware updates. Performance was horrible and at times they would not work at all. I worked with them for months on trying to get something working right (I'm a retired s/w engineer so I had the time, inclination, and expertise). My off-line storage solution is to use a portable HDD with a wireless file hub to access it. The RAVPower device works great -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5XQE3U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An issue with any external storage though is that generally access has to be through an app provided by the vendor or through a file manager app like FileBrowser - other apps can't see or access the storage. I don't know of any way to use playlists of any kind with external storage - maybe someone else could chime in on that. But my advice is steer clear of the Leef product.

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information. It's exactly what I wanted.

I thought the Leef looked neat - how it could stay attached to the iPad and you could access everything without going to find another "thing". But I only ever use the iPad at home. So obviously I would prefer something that works flawlessly and it doesn't sound like the Leef does! I guess you're saying what my son said - the Apple makes it very difficult to store music on an external drive.

I checked out your link, and you can buy that same RAVPower on amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_n...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2798316

Of course, it's more expensive in Canada but there is another one that is less money. What does the "3000 mAh" - mean? Is it something I wouldn't want over the 6000 one?

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
The "3000 mAh" refers to the capacity of the file hub's internal battery. This battery can be used to charge other devices but it also serves as power for the hub itself. So the 6000 has twice the capacity of the 3000. If you never use the device for charging anything else and don't intend to use the file hub for long periods of time before recharging it, then 3000 should be fine for you (particularly if you only use it at home). For more info on this device, you can download the user manual from here:

RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card USB Reader, 6000mAh External Battery Instruction Manuals & Drivers Downloads

I should also note the the 3000 mAh version is an earlier model of this file hub. I actually have both, having upgraded to the newer 6000 mAh model. The newer version supports DLNA connection to a NAS and also has an Ethernet port so that it can be set up as a standard wire router using an Ethernet cable.

edit: if you are only using this from home, have you considered any cloud-based storage as a solution? e.g., iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox.

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
One more thought: if this is solely a home-based iPad, then you could use this app to stream music from storage on another device (e.g., a PC) on your home network:

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musicstreamer/id979888370?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musicstreamer/id979888370?mt=8[/URL]

You can even create playlists with this one. I have it and it works well.

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
That is interesting. The only thing is -- I don't think I could delete the music app because it's a native app to Apple. And I can't delete the music to give me more space because that would delete it from all my devices wouldn't it?

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site
That is interesting. The only thing is -- I don't think I could delete the music app because it's a native app to Apple. And I can't delete the music to give me more space because that would delete it from all my devices wouldn't it?

Adding a new music app doesn't have any effect on the native app. As to deleting the music from your iPad - I thought that was want you wanted to do in order to save space on it (actually, move it to an off-line storage device).

sparksd

May 31, 2015
Visit site

Adding a new music app doesn't have any effect on the native app. As to deleting the music from your iPad - I thought that was want you wanted to do in order to save space on it (actually, move it to an off-line storage device).

More info on deleting music:

How to Delete Music from Your iPhone But Not From iTunes or iCloud Music Library | iPhoneLife.com

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I am still very confused. I read all that and I am still confused. Honestly, I just feel like dumping the music on my Iphone and buying the CD instead!

On my iPhone, I have music/songs by 8 different artists. This includes three classical albums - two are Christmas music, but that has nothing to do with anything.

When I go on iTunes on my PC, all I can see are the 3 classical albums.

I cannot figure out why I can't see all my music. Is there any way I can disconnect my phone from my iPad, with respect to Music? I have room on my phone, but not on my iPad.

If I can't see all my music on iTunes and I delete it from my iPad (and presumably my iPhone) then I won't be able to play any music except the three classical albums that I can see.

As I said. I am getting so frustrated with iTunes on the PC I might as well just get rid of the lot and buy the CDs I can't see!!