My iPad is disabled, due to many attempts to unlocking it. How can I get into it?

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
iPad is disabled, due to many attempts to unlocking it.

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their devices. I am having a minor issue with my iPad, basically my little brother has made more than one attempt to unlock the device, so therefore, it is now completely disabled. All that is shown when I turn on the iPad is "iPad and says "please connect to iTunes"

I have connected it to my computer, but iTunes is not recognizing my iPad for some particular reason. I had a pass code set on it, and the maximum tries have been made. I have the latest version of iTunes so I am having difficulty determining the solution to this restoring issue. Now, I am going to have to restore my iPad completely, or will I just have to do a simple reset? Any kind of assistance is much appreciated. This is happening on a 4th generation iPad, I also own a gaming rig, so I am not sure if that is causing anything.

Unfortunately, the unlock timer is not visible, it only shows the time and it says, the iPad is disabled and connect it to iTunes.
Below is a picture the error I receive in iTunes and it doesn't recognize the iPad.

Another thing I am concerned about, is that if I do have to do a restore then where will my back up information be? I don't think icloud synced everything before it was disabled.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPad is disabled, due to many attempts to unlocking it.

You're going to have to do a complete erase of all contents and settings via the restore function in iTunes on your computer. Rebooting both your computer and iPad should cause iTunes to recognize the iPad unless there's a defect with either the USB cable, the USB port or the charging port.

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

iTunes actually recognized my iPad, yesterday, so when I turned the device off, then I hold, the home button, until the Apple logo appeared. However, iTunes gave me two options, to either restore, or update it to 8.1. iPad Recovery Mode.png

I am not positive of what to do, because, I don't want to anything to be erased from when I last had my iPad unlocked. Maybe there is a way to check what icloud backed up recently? What other back up program, would have backed my files?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

If iCloud backup is on it should update at least once a day if you plug it in and you're on wifi.

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yes, that option was always on, so I shouldn't have nothing erased.

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Even though, my iPad was recognized, I am unsure of what to do. If I do loose anything, then is there I a I can find out?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

If you had had back up on then you need to roll the dice. Good luck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

iTunes actually recognized my iPad, yesterday, so when I turned the device off, then I hold, the home button, until the Apple logo appeared. However, iTunes gave me two options, to either restore, or update it to 8.1. View attachment 79061

I am not positive of what to do, because, I don't want to anything to be erased from when I last had my iPad unlocked. Maybe there is a way to check what icloud backed up recently? What other back up program, would have backed my files?

If you select to update to iOS 8.x, you are still going to have to provide the passcode to unlock the screen. I doubt your data will be erased during the update. If you select to restore your device, you should be prompted to restore from a previous backup. If the backups contain the same lockscreen passcode that you can't recall, you're still SOL.

G1ggs

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

If you select to update to iOS 8.x, you are still going to have to provide the passcode to unlock the screen. I doubt your data will be erased during the update. If you select to restore your device, you should be prompted to restore from a previous backup. If the backups contain the same lockscreen passcode that you can't recall, you're still SOL.

Oh, update and data will be lost? So what can I do to make my data is not lost?

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I prefer to an update, although there a is a bad feeling. that some data will not show after. I am going to start now.

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I was wondering, if I use Reiboot, will that make a difference whether than doing to an update on iTunes? Keep in mind, I have no interest in doing a restore. The update is my preferred option, Maybe Reiboot can give me a chance to unlock my device, when I know the passcode.

imuppet

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Hi, I have a similar situation with my wife's iPad. We know the password but one of the children was playing with it and the screen now says it's disabled for 23,732,742 minutes. I fear that I can't wait the next 4 decades.

My question is based on the fact that meine Frau has never plugged in, let alone backed up her iPad. However, she says she doesn't care about the data on board.

All the suggestions seem to be predicated on the iPad already having been backed up. Does that matter? Can I just plug it in or should I just take it into the nearest Apple shop (which is quite a trip)?