Any Drawback To Getting A 2 Year Contact For The iPad?

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Is there any drawback to signing up for a 2 year contact for the iPad? Granted, the most obvious one is being locked into something for 2 years. Most cellular companies want a part of your life, two years at a time. I figure this one will be around for at least a couple of years so it might not hurt to get the $100.00 discount while getting a plan that I would have anyway. What do you think?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you’re going to get the data plan any way, probably not much downside. But with near-universally ubiquitous wifi, I have just opted for the wifi tablets. I bought one AT&T 3G iPad and never even signed up for the service ... so for some (you) it would make much more sense than for others (me).

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I like the freedom to be able to use it anywhere without having to rely on WiFi. Like I use the map programs, my kids watch Netflix and other movies/shows in the car, sitting at the park reading imore.com ect...

WiFi works great for some people but I need the connection.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I like the freedom to be able to use it anywhere without having to rely on WiFi. Like I use the map programs, my kids watch Netflix and other movies/shows in the car, sitting at the park reading imore.com ect...

WiFi works great for some people but I need the connection.

I completely understand... and for those who need/want the LTE connectivity, if you’re gonna get the data plan anyway, why not save $100...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you?re going to get the data plan any way, probably not much downside. But with near-universally ubiquitous wifi, I have just opted for the wifi tablets. I bought one AT&T 3G iPad and never even signed up for the service ... so for some (you) it would make much more sense than for others (me).

People wonder why I never opted to get the 3G version of the iPad and I tell them that I don't need two 3G devices. My iPhone goes where I go and if I need to surf the web over 3G, I'll instinctively use it first. I don't carry my iPad everywhere I go and never thought that I would so, although having a 3G capable iPad is nice, it is overkill in...my...regard....:)

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I called AT&T to get the scoop about what would happen if I sell the iPad 12 months down the road. The fee would be pro-rated so I'd have to pay $50.00. I'll probably have this one around for awhile so it will be worth it for me. Between the discount and picking it up at a store in a state that doesn't have sales tax, I'll save just over $150.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I called AT&T to get the scoop about what would happen if I sell the iPad 12 months down the road. The fee would be pro-rated so I'd have to pay $50.00. I'll probably have this one around for awhile so it will be worth it for me. Between the discount and picking it up at a store in a state that doesn't have sales tax, I'll save just over $150.

Couldn’t you just activate a different tablet on the account and not have to pay the fee? I don’t see how their handling of this would be different from a cell phone... I am really confused by this.

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I know with a cell, you have to have it a certain amount of time to fullfull your agreement. Like when I was going to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4S last year, I wasn't eligible for the discounted upgrade because I hadn't had it for number of days required (didn't have to be the full 2 years). I usually upgrade my iPhone every 2 years and the same will probably hold true with the iPad.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If you have phone that can hotspot I can't see a reason for anything but WiFi tablet let alone any contract. I've had iPad 2 with and without cel radio and just ordered the 4 WiFi only because I've never once wished I had a cel radio.

Contract on a hotspot or hotspot enabled phone is more useful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77