I am currently using an original iPad from launch. This Christmas I was planning on getting the iPad 3 but considering that the iPad 4 will most likely come out in march I wasn't sure if I should hold off. I'm not sure what rumors are floating around but what are your opinions? Should I get the iPad 3 at Christmas or wait? What would you do? Either way it's a huge step up for me coming from an OG iPad
    08-23-2012 12:12 AM
    Depends on your needs and if you can hold out to circa March...
    08-23-2012 12:37 AM
    There will be a new iPad before Xmas. What Apple plans to do after that, is anyone's guess as the new one disrupts the March(ish) release.
    08-23-2012 12:45 AM
    By new iPad, are you referring to the iPad mini? I'm not really interested in the mini. I prefer the full size of the iPad
    08-23-2012 12:54 AM
    By new iPad, are you referring to the iPad mini? I'm not really interested in the mini. I prefer the full size of the iPad
    Full size.
    08-23-2012 01:03 AM
    Full size.
    any upgrade is going to be good. But if you buy something today there will always be a new thing tomorrow
    08-23-2012 01:54 AM
    any upgrade is going to be good. But if you buy something today there will always be a new thing tomorrow
    I think so too...just do it!
    When the new iPad comes out and you really think it is waaay better, you can still sell your "old" one and get the new one...won't be too much of a loss

btw.: I've found a pretty good site for some stats on iPhone, IPad or Apple in general
    Last edited by soll82; 08-23-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    08-23-2012 05:10 AM
    Apple did send notice to retailers to clear space for ipads. And yeah, a refresh this late could mean nothing in March.
    08-23-2012 05:24 AM
    If you have no choice but to wait til Xmas for the iPad 3 then I guess another few months wait after couldn't hurt too. I'd sell my original iPad and get the iPad mini to see me through til march.
    08-23-2012 05:38 AM
    I am currently using an original iPad from launch. This Christmas I was planning on getting the iPad 3 but considering that the iPad 4 will most likely come out in march I wasn't sure if I should hold off. I'm not sure what rumors are floating around but what are your opinions? Should I get the iPad 3 at Christmas or wait? What would you do? Either way it's a huge step up for me coming from an OG iPad
    Just wait. It doesn't even make sense to buy it now- especially when Apple has a Keynote coming soon with an update to various products.
    08-23-2012 08:08 AM
    Don't wait - buy the iPad 3 or even the 2.

When a newer iPad is launched wait for reviews and opinions and if you like what you see and hear then just sell what you have and then buy the new one.
    08-23-2012 08:24 AM
    I would wait till Apples Sep. 12th announcement, and then if you are still thinking about the iPad 3, go for it. I use mine every day.
    08-23-2012 09:10 AM
    There will be a new iPad before Xmas. What Apple plans to do after that, is anyone's guess as the new one disrupts the March(ish) release.
    I know there are reports of the new iPad being re-released with the new dock connector, but would this new one also have a spec update as well? Newer processor, heat reduction, thinner, lighter, etc?
    08-23-2012 10:03 AM
    I know there are reports of the new iPad being re-released with the new dock connector, but would this new one also have a spec update as well? Newer processor, heat reduction, thinner, lighter, etc?
    I have a hunch but will keep it to myself as I'm not 100% sure. Try to look at it this way, if a new one is released before Xmas do you think Apple would simply change the dock connector and call it a day?
    08-23-2012 12:20 PM
    I have a hunch but will keep it to myself as I'm not 100% sure. Try to look at it this way, if a new one is released before Xmas do you think Apple would simply change the dock connector and call it a day?
    In all honesty, no. I would think they will go with a die-shrunk A5X, maybe the IGZO screen tech, an updated battery, reduction in components where neccessary...that would improve the performance slightly and battery life.

I guess the big question is...does Apple go with a silent update where this is positioned as simply the same iPad 3 (in terms of marketing on their site and so forth), or do they go all in and position this as the next iPad (4th generation)?
    08-23-2012 12:30 PM
    In all honesty, no. I would think they will go with a die-shrunk A5X, maybe the IGZO screen tech, an updated battery, reduction in components where neccessary...that would improve the performance slightly and battery life.

I guess the big question is...does Apple go with a silent update where this is positioned as simply the same iPad 3 (in terms of marketing on their site and so forth), or do they go all in and position this as the next iPad (4th generation)?
    Guess we will know sooner rather than later. :-)
    08-23-2012 01:05 PM
    Guess we will know sooner rather than later. :-)
    Next obvious question is how certain are you about this one disrupting the usual March release cycle? You're always dead on with stuff like this so I was just curious if that was a hunch or something that you feel confident about.
    08-23-2012 01:39 PM
    Next obvious question is how certain are you about this one disrupting the usual March release cycle? You're always dead on with stuff like this so I was just curious if that was a hunch or something that you feel confident about.
    I'm pretty confident but at the same time things can change.
    08-23-2012 05:00 PM
    Full size.
    New Dock connector! Yay!
    08-23-2012 06:19 PM
    I am waiting. I sold my iPad 3 back in June for cash toward a down payment on a motorcycle (awesome btw). Last week I finally saved up to repurchase but with many saying a new dock connector is coming on the new iPhone, it makes sense to me that they would do the same to the iPad. So I wait...anxiously...
    08-23-2012 06:24 PM
    New Dock connector! Yay!
    There will be more. How much more, no clue.
    08-23-2012 08:34 PM
    There will be more. How much more, no clue.
    I can't wait. What do you think of the rumor about the mini coming out in October and Apple's Sept 12 event being ONLY iPhone with a separate event for the mini later on?
    08-23-2012 11:43 PM
    Well this time last year I was going to get the iPad 2 but then i found rumors of the new iPad so I waited till march to get the new iPad and it was the best purchase I ever made. So if I were you, I'd wait it out, specially with the rumoured iPad mini and new dock connector and stuff.
    08-24-2012 04:53 AM
    Personally form a hardware point of view. Their is not much more you can do with an iPad 3. Just keep the software updated.
    08-24-2012 08:27 AM
    I can't wait. What do you think of the rumor about the mini coming out in October and Apple's Sept 12 event being ONLY iPhone with a separate event for the mini later on?
    It makes a lot of sense. The iphone is easily the most valuable product in the world as well as to Apple. Apple should focus the event on it.

And yet, you don't want to lose the opportunity to market a new iOS version with ipad. One month later could work but it's not the same. This is a time the ipad receives a lot of software enhancements and a refresh (or other new hardware like the mini) brings that home and generates new reviews
    Last edited by cardfan; 08-24-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    08-24-2012 08:30 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD