Is an iPad 2 Still a Good Buy?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
With the 3 already out, and not knowing what may come out in September, is an iPad 2 still a good buy? I don't really know what the difference between the 2 and 3 are, aside from the retina screen. But is the upgrade absolutely worth it? Especially if you could get a MINT iPad 2 16gb for $300?

I guess what I'm asking is, at this stage in the game, is an iPad 2 still going to be a viable option for the next year or two, or should I wait and save a few bucks to see what else is in the pipeline?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It should be viable for the next couple of years at least. The speed is on par with the new ipad.

Funny thing is this. I'd consider the ipad 2 more future proof than the ipad 3. The ipad 3 seemed to choke or lag some (at times and depending on what you're doing) and you get the idea it's struggling to push those pixels. It all has to do with how much you want that retina screen.

At this stage in the cycle, i'd either get the ipad 2 at a great price or wait for a refresh.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The processor is a little different, isn't it? The screen isn't that big of a deal. The 2's screen is still pretty nice. I just worry because it already isn't getting the full iOS 6 effect by missing out on Siri. Makes me wonder if it'll miss out on anything else in future updates.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The processor is a little different, isn't it? The screen isn't that big of a deal. The 2's screen is still pretty nice. I just worry because it already isn't getting the full iOS 6 effect by missing out on Siri. Makes me wonder if it'll miss out on anything else in future updates.

Fair comment about Siri, but you have to ask yourself the question about how much you want Siri. The iPad 2 has the same speed processor. It's just slightly different because of the retina display. The only thing you are going to miss out on is Siri.

Then a next gen iPad probably won't drop till next year. Your always going to be in this dilemma if you buy the latest product.

If I was in your shoes, I would go for an iPad 2. Then consider the next gen iPad if cash is a priority.

Either way you are going to have a great iPad that will interact well with iOS 6 with Siri or without. I personally don't use Siri hence my decision and I don't use the retina display enough to worry about it.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck yeah. The iPad 2 is still very much a viable unit and so much so that I still don't have even a smidgen of an urge to upgrade.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. Basically what I was wondering was answered. If the 3 was enough of an upgrade to spend the extra money. It sounds like it isn't.

I do like Siri, but I don't use her too much aside from the occasional text or reminder. She isn't a deal breaker, per se, just makes me wonder what else may be missing from a 2 if Siri isn't making it over in the first iteration of iOS 6.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate it!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome, but I want to clarify something. The New iPad is a heckuva device. The retina display is simply gorgeous and to some, it's a deal breaker, but to others, it is not. Siri, on the iPad means nothing to me, but then again, I don't carry my iPad 2 everywhere I go like I do with my iPhone 4S. My iPad is an in-between device. I mean it is useful when I want to view something on a larger display and when I don't necessarily have full computing needs, so to speak. I hope that came out right. Maybe if I needed to have an iPad with 3G capabilities and needed to use it as a primary device then I would definitely choose the latest and greatest, but I don't and without the aforementioned, upgrading to the new iPad was not an option for me. The iPad 2 is just as good. Anyway, take care and enjoy your Labor Day weekend and College Football. ;)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the iPad 2 is still a good choice and, with the price drop, a more realistic price for a tablet, too.

The processor and screen is more than capable for probably 98% of things that users actually use the device for (or that the iOS is capable of), while the additional 'bells and whistles' that the last - and upcoming - iOS has that can't run on the 2 are hardly a deal breaker. As for Siri, I'm afraid I find it more a gimmick than a daily user product (for those with Star Trek fantasies, IMHO), but a perfectly capable alternative can be found in the speaktoit app, that runs on both iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

Apple has something of a reputation for making their products and, by extension, the products that you buy, prematurely obsolete (speak to anyone who bought into firewire and it's peripherals and is now looking at a new Mac), but there's still plenty of 3rd Party apps out there that still run on the 2.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the iPad 2 is still a good choice and, with the price drop, a more realistic price for a tablet, too.

The processor and screen is more than capable for probably 98% of things that users actually use the device for (or that the iOS is capable of), while the additional 'bells and whistles' that the last - and upcoming - iOS has that can't run on the 2 are hardly a deal breaker. As for Siri, I'm afraid I find it more a gimmick than a daily user product (for those with Star Trek fantasies, IMHO), but a perfectly capable alternative can be found in the speaktoit app, that runs on both iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

Apple has something of a reputation for making their products and, by extension, the products that you buy, prematurely obsolete (speak to anyone who bought into firewire and it's peripherals and is now looking at a new Mac), but there's still plenty of 3rd Party apps out there that still run on the 2.

Do you know of any 3rd party apps that currently run on the new iPad but not on the iPad 2?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have three iPad 2s and one iPad 3rd generation and the only real difference for me is the screen. It is definitely sharper and seems a little brighter. But I haven't noticed a speed difference. All of the games that I play on it seem to run the same. The iPad 2 will be missing out on Siri, which is a feature I use from time to time, but usually only in the car. So, it isn't a big deal for me to not have that functionality on my iPad because I don't use it in the car. The iPad 2 feels lighter and thinner as well. I'm not sure if that is the case with the technical specifications of the two devices, but I feel a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that would concern me is will the next big iOS update after 6 support the iPad 2? Those who still have the iPad 1 won't be able to upgrade to 6.0.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that would concern me is will the next big iOS update after 6 support the iPad 2? Those who still have the iPad 1 won't be able to upgrade to 6.0.

Well, for the most part, iOS 6 will run on the 2 and to speculate what will come out of Cupertino after that is a mug's game. Meanwhile, these upgrades seem to be more incremental than life-changing and as long as the device can run what apps you use and can sync with either iTunes and/or iCloud, the fear of 'being left behind' could be mitigated.

That said, Apple does have a reputation for premature obsolescence - but I honestly believe my (non-user replaceable) battery will pack it in on my 2 before I need to worry about the iOS upgrades.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I still have my 1 along with the 3 and my battery is just fine on the original. I won't be able to put 6 on that one.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's really viable anymore. The 3 has been out a few months and the iPad mini will be out soon. Then the 4 will be out shortly after that. With Apple, it's best to go with the latest product because in 2 years it'll lose support.

Jenn Thompson

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's really viable anymore. The 3 has been out a few months and the iPad mini will be out soon. Then the 4 will be out shortly after that. With Apple, it's best to go with the latest product because in 2 years it'll lose support.

Same here. I agree that iPad 2 is no longer viable since it has been out in the market for so long. Personally, I am very eager on iPad Mini. I don't mind paying a lower price for a smaller screen. I have seen the Nexus 7 and I quite like it. Looking forward to see what Apple can bring to the table.

Alphard_Alshua

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It's still pretty fast for anything, including gaming. So i guess yea it is still a good buy. Especially if you are outside US, because LTE on new ipad doesn't work outside US.

Unless you can afford new ipad just wifi version, go get it instead. You can get more battery life on the wifi version on any ipad version, and cooler operation on hand.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I still have my 1 along with the 3 and my battery is just fine on the original. I won't be able to put 6 on that one.

Yeah, but you need to put iOS 6 on your 1, or does it run just fine with the apps you need on it? Aside from Apple upgrading their own apps (both within the iOS and as add-ons), have you found apps that simply won't run on your 1 with its current iOS?

Or are we just buying into 'the new is better' mantra, profiting nobody but Apple?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but you need to put iOS 6 on your 1, or does it run just fine with the apps you need on it? Aside from Apple upgrading their own apps (both within the iOS and as add-ons), have you found apps that simply won't run on your 1 with its current iOS?

Or are we just buying into 'the new is better' mantra, profiting nobody but Apple?

Most apps work fine. My point is for the extra $100 I would rather have the newer updated device that will still be supported by apple a year from now. I was surprised and disappointed that the 1 wasn't getting the new iOS and won't be supported anymore.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Yes, it will. Since it's not the latest and greatest (not necessarily a value judgement as much as a statement of fact - Apple has released a newer product), you can expect it to be left out of future updates/enhancements to iOS. Apple's in business to sell devices, and one way to accomplish that is to introduce "planned obsolescence"... and there will be new features added over time that the device simply will not be able to perform, as well. The same will be true of the current iPad ("new", 3), and the next one and the next one... eventually all of them will be left behind. By buying the latest and greatest, all you are doing is purchasing an extra year of functionality... as new devices are introduced, older models will lack the ability to use the new features added to the OS... and it's done generationally.

That said, my wife has an iPad2 and it is still quite functional and useful. If you can get an iPad2 at a good price, I say go for it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2