Help! I bricked my iPad

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I messed up somehow with the security lock. I had JUST set it this evening, using (I thought) an easily remembered 4 digit pin. I then let it lock, and now it will not unlock. It won't lock so hard that my last attempt said that the iPad is now locked out for 60 minutes. Figuring that the only things on it that are "irreplaceable" are my game stats in the various Angry Birds apps, I put the thing into Recovery Mode and attached to iTunes. And iTunes says that it is unable to recover the iPad due to an "unknown error 1611".

HELP!!

The nearest Apple Store / Genius Bar is an hour away, so the next chance I have to get to it is on Saturday.

Full disclosure, the iPad is (was?) jailbroken under the current iOS 5.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Detach it and re-attach it to a computer and fire up the computer's iTunes app. After iTunes detect the iPad, select restore. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Then, while the device is connected to your computer and iTunes is running, press and hold both the home button and the power button simultaneously until the device restarts AND you see the Apple logo. After iTunes detect your device, try to restore it.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
No change. It appears to put the iPad into Recovery Mode while connected, and it's already in Recovery Mode.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is what I want it to do. Sorry for the delayed response. I was watching Olympic basketball (USA vs Australia) via my iPad. Anyway, followTHESE instructions.

Just Me, D
(iPad)

Last edited:

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I found the problem. First, I "borrowed" the use of a computer I have custody of, installed iTunes on it and was able to complete a restore from there, but then when I plugged the iPad into my my desktop again, it wasn't seen. I then plugged my iTouch in, the first time since Sunday, and IT wasn't seen either, and that had no problems whatsoever.

So on a hunch, I went into my PC's Services list, and the service "Apple Mobile Device" wasn't running, even though it's set to Automatic. I manually started it, unplugged both devices, restarted iTunes, and now my iTouch is synced, and I am restoring the iPad. :D

Now, to figure out why the Apple Mobile Device service failed to start over multiple boots of the PC... :mad:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding! I'm glad you got it figured out, my friend. Again, I apologize for the delayed replies. This time, I opted to erase the hard drive on my MacBook and reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch due to sporadic video related issues as lag problems, but that has all been rectified. Anyway, take care and have a great night. ;)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding! I'm glad you got it figured out, my friend. Again, I apologize for the delayed replies. This time, I opted to erase the hard drive on my MacBook and reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch due to sporadic video related issues as lag problems, but that has all been rectified. Anyway, take care and have a great night. ;)

Delay? What delay? Unless you live in the forums, I did not notice any delay. After all, this is not a phone call or a live chat.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77