yep! samething that happen with mine.. there is something going on! perhaps them smart cases give it a greater chance of the glass shattering
    I agree - going in to the Apple Store, i had major apprehensions about getting it replaced - especially for FREE - because it was my fault that I let it drop... but the Apple Tech I spoke with on the phone earlier gave me the impression that Apple is dealing with many "glass issues" on the new iPad 2 and that my broken glass fell into the right category for free replacement. The Apple cover is cool, but it protects nothing..... and now I'm wondering if it actually assisted in cracking the glass....
    For my replacement, I purchased the Zagg invisible shield and I'm also currently on the prowl for a good case..... as much as I didn't want to bulk up the iPad 2, I feel protection beats out aesthetics!!!!
    03-22-2011 10:28 AM
    Wow, this post is making me very nervous about my iPad & smart cover combo. Thanks for the posts everyone.
    03-22-2011 11:14 AM
    if you paid with a credit card, does it offer you extended protection? I only use cards that offer extended warranties. I've collected from Amex a couple of times with no hassle.
    03-22-2011 11:39 AM
    Mine just decided to take a nose dive off of the dock and cracked the top right hand corner I'm sooo sad!! I've been waiting for my local ZAGG retailer to get the stock of ipad covers!!

I'm super nervous about my appointment, so I made two appointments and the two local apple store.

Wish me luck. Will post what happens.
    03-23-2011 01:23 AM
    Oh wow... its sad reading these posts... deferring me from getting an iPad =(
    03-23-2011 01:25 AM
    Purchase your iPad with an AMEX card. AMEX offers 90 dayas loss/damage protection, and extends AppleCare to 2 years automatically.
    03-23-2011 03:57 AM
    My ipad 2 dropped about a foot when the magnets released off the cover. The glass shattered. This was a 5 days after I purchased it for 829.00. Apple is charging me 461.00 to repair. I am very unhappy about this. It is very very fragile!
    03-23-2011 01:12 PM
    Oh wow... its sad reading these posts... deferring me from getting an iPad =(
    Why would someone else carlessness make you not want to get an iPad? Pretty simple to take care of it!
    Xm_jdm likes this.
    03-23-2011 02:00 PM
    I was being uber careful with mine!!!!!!
    03-23-2011 03:58 PM
    I was being uber careful with mine!!!!!!
    um yea ditto to that!
    03-23-2011 04:08 PM
    I broke mine a couple of weeks ago, took it into the apple care center and they switched the glass out for me while I waited, took about 15 mins and they didn't charge me anything. My friend had the glass in his iPhone 4 replaced independently from Apple and it cost him $120 and they did it on th spot as well. Guess it depends on the service provider, but mine was done so fast it can't be a complicated process.
    03-24-2011 06:26 AM
    I wish I had driven the hour to the apple store!
    03-24-2011 11:17 AM
    for those of you who purchased your device from best buy you have thirty days from the purchase to add on insurance which is about 100 bucks. Purchase than and then claim the broken ipad
    03-24-2011 03:57 PM
    I just wanted to put a bookend on my story: I was called by the Apple Store last night to let me know my iPad 2 was ready - I brought my cracked one in and we did an even swap - the staff was, once again, courteous and friendly, and I am now using my new - new - iPad 2! For the time being I have my iPad 2 in the original Apple Case (that I bought last year for the iPad) - it doesn't fit properly but I am very paranoid about any harm coming to it! I now continue my quest for the 'perfect' iPad 2 case - does anyone here use one that they love? Please let me know!
    03-25-2011 11:20 AM
    for those of you who purchased your device from best buy you have thirty days from the purchase to add on insurance which is about 100 bucks. Purchase than and then claim the broken ipad
    I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy - I did not take the insurance they offer and was told I had 14 days after my purchase to opt in - when the glass cracked I brought it to Best Buy and the (very unfriendly) clerk immediately asked if I bought the insurance - I told her that I did not, but was told I had 14 days to do so - she said it was too late because my iPad 2 was damaged - so i asked "what if I was to go to a different Best Buy and ask for the insurance?" and she said that since it's after the time I made my purchase they would have to physically see the iPad 2 to make sure there was no damage. Fortunately, Apple is making good on this kind of damage!
    03-25-2011 11:30 AM
    I bought my iPad 2 at Best Buy - I did not take the insurance they offer and was told I had 14 days after my purchase to opt in - when the glass cracked I brought it to Best Buy and the (very unfriendly) clerk immediately asked if I bought the insurance - I told her that I did not, but was told I had 14 days to do so - she said it was too late because my iPad 2 was damaged - so i asked "what if I was to go to a different Best Buy and ask for the insurance?" and she said that since it's after the time I made my purchase they would have to physically see the iPad 2 to make sure there was no damage. Fortunately, Apple is making good on this kind of damage!
    Wow... you really expected BestBuy (or anyone) to insure your device AFTER it was damaged? The point of insurance is to hedge against the risk of damage... it's not about "oops, I broke it, now can I pay you 1/5 the value of the device to replace it"...

*SMH*
    Last edited by Fausty82; 03-25-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    03-25-2011 12:07 PM
    @HankAZ ... LOL, I totally agree!
    03-25-2011 12:58 PM
    Wow... you really expected BestBuy (or anyone) to insure your device AFTER it was damaged? The point of insurance is to hedge against the risk of damage... it's not a "oops, I broke it, now can I pay you 1/5 the value of the device to replace it"...

*SMH*
    Not at all - although Apple DID insure my device AFTER it was damaged - I went to Best Buy to see what could be done - I was willing to pay for a repair - but Best Buy wouldn't even talk to me when they found out I didn't get the insurance
    03-25-2011 01:04 PM
    Not at all - although Apple DID insure my device AFTER it was damaged - I went to Best Buy to see what could be done - I was willing to pay for a repair - but Best Buy wouldn't even talk to me when they found out I didn't get the insurance
    Apple did not insure the device... they agreed to repair/replace it for whatever reason (good will, concern about a design issue, or whatever)... it was NOT insurance. And Best Buy is in the business of selling stuff - including their after-market warranties... if you had bought their warranty, they may have replaced it - or sent it to Apple for repair. Since you did not, their business transaction with you was completed.
    03-25-2011 01:12 PM
    Apple has A+ customer service. Never seen anything like it in retail. Just a FYI, if you have renters or homeowners insurance you probably can endorse your iPad against breakage or theft and usually very cheap with little or no deductible.
    scorourke likes this.
    03-25-2011 02:20 PM
    Apple did not insure the device... they agreed to repair/replace it for whatever reason (good will, concern about a design issue, or whatever)... it was NOT insurance. And Best Buy is in the business of selling stuff - including their after-market warranties... if you had bought their warranty, they may have replaced it - or sent it to Apple for repair. Since you did not, their business transaction with you was completed.
    I never questioned that
    03-25-2011 03:19 PM
    moral to the story is

apple is top notch with me.. i broke my ipad it was my fault and they replaced it for free for me
    03-26-2011 06:32 PM
    yeah I dropped my ipod touch 2g on the floor when I dropped it, it was facing flat on the floor. And there was just a 2 or 3 scratches on it.
    03-27-2011 05:59 AM
    Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to mine! Can you tell me the cost?

Has anybody had to repair glass on an ipad2 is it a pretty easy process?

Mine fell on the corner of it too and the back aluminum case got dented in the corner too is that something tha can b replaced or fixed too?[/QUOTE]
    05-18-2011 06:43 PM
    Ouch Sorry to hear about that, perhaps a third party quote would be wise?
    05-18-2011 10:20 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD