Activating an E-Sim

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks straight forward. I like the idea that as soon as my new device E-Sim is set-Up my old device physical Sim will cease to operate automatically

My Question is do I setup my E-Sim before I transfer my data over????

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My Question is do I setup my E-Sim before I transfer my data over????

If you have Verizon, based on my experience with the 13 Pro last year, yes, they suggest skipping transfer, activate the eSIM (and turn off Find My on your old phone and turn off the old phone first), then one of the next steps is again asking to restore from iCloud or iTunes, or doing the direct device transfer (and if you do this, obviously you turn the old phone back on again.)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If you have Verizon, based on my experience with the 13 Pro last year, yes, they suggest skipping transfer, activate the eSIM (and turn off Find My on your old phone and turn off the old phone first), then one of the next steps is again asking to restore from iCloud or iTunes, or doing the direct device transfer (and if you do this, obviously you turn the old phone back on again.)

Thanks should be the same advice for T-Mobile

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My switch from iPhone 13 to 14 was quite simple. The 14 asked, do you want to activate the esim on this phone? When I said yes, it notified me that the old phone would no longer have cell service. I then gave is the okay to go ahead, and then it made completed the activation. I think the only thing remaining was to provide a pin to my carrier authorizing the change. It was very easy and and very fast.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My switch from iPhone 13 to 14 was quite simple. The 14 asked, do you want to activate the esim on this phone? When I said yes, it notified me that the old phone would no longer have cell service. I then gave is the okay to go ahead, and then it made completed the activation. I think the only thing remaining was to provide a pin to my carrier authorizing the change. It was very easy and and very fast.

It was simple for me as well and I saw something about a PIN but ignored it

What is that Pin For???

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It was simple for me as well and I saw something about a PIN but ignored it

What is that Pin For???

I know that carriers ask you now to create a PIN for your account to help prevent SIM hijacking attacks. So, if somebody calls the carrier and asks for a new SIM for your number, to try to hijack your number, the carrier now asks for a PIN number as an extra level of security.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I know that carriers ask you now to create a PIN for your account to help prevent SIM hijacking attacks. So, if somebody calls the carrier and asks for a new SIM for your number, to try to hijack your number, the carrier now asks for a PIN number as an extra level of security.

Oh ok that’s a good idea

Thanks

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I did use multiple eSIMs on my 13 Pro last January when I was traveling, with the second SIM being a local data-only SIM. It worked just fine.

Weirdly, though, I am back on a physical SIM after my 13 Pro needed a repair and I needed to use my backup phone, a X, which doesn't have an eSIM. I had to get a physical SIM from Verizon, and then just moved that back to the 13 Pro when I got it back from repair. At some point I'm going to convert back to eSIM (but I was traveling again a few weeks ago with a local eSIM that, again, worked just great with the physical SIM at the same time.).

eSIM is a little more secure from loss/stealing - if somebody finds your phone, they can remove a physical SIM and turn off mobile data for the phone. You can't if you use an eSIM.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Both mine simple i phone 12 one with eSIM other with SIM. Just did the phone to phone transfer, asks I’d want to transfer number. Simple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2